Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 00:36
sarahmoo

Default fell runner?

Hi there

I am a fell runner who will be on holiday in puerto pollensa from 20/8 for 2 weeks

Would love to find someone to show me more mountainous terrain over this period or can you point me to a club who can help?

Thanks!

Sarah Massey
Sponsored Links
Old 28-05-2011, 17:23

Hi Sharamo, there is no club as such although Pollensa has an athletics club but does not specify fells,as a former fell runner there are some spectacular runs out the back of the port, but the best tracks are out the back of Alcudia, where the motorway starts at the roundabout at the back, about 1mile towards Arta a lane on the left marked nature reserve will take you into spectacular quiet mountains.
Old 28-05-2011, 23:59

Fell / mountain running in Mallorca in August???????? (very hot, unless you go out very early, or somewhat late).
Please take plenty of water and good luck.
There is some wonderful countryside and some wonderful mountains around P.P.
Try the 'outdoor shop' on C/Roger de Flor at the bottom of the large car park, they may be able to advise on routes or
you could purchase a suitable map.
Old 29-05-2011, 00:26
Super Moderator

The original post is 5 years ago so things may well have changed.
Old 29-05-2011, 12:00

Hi Mrs. Sparkles, can't have had enough vino collapso watching the footy to have spotted that one. xxx
Old 04-11-2011, 00:16
Under Moderation

Smile Fell Running in Majorca

Hi
Ive been to the island several times and usually spend the mornings in the fells (mountains) running. I like to base myself in the north Pt pollensa is great, allows good access to the mountains and afternoon swimming / family time.

The Boquer valley is a short run, take your mask and snorkel, the end on the valley has some great sea life and fantastic views. The caval bernat ridge is breath taking, and about 15 mins away, done it a couple of times in fell shoes and alone, not recommended, but depends on ability and experience...you could get in serious trouble here, alone on the ridge. Also some good bouldering and climbing with restrictions in the valley, done some with my daughter when she was 10.

Formentor offers accessible running, but you could find yourself in someones back yard, again breath taking scenery. Tomir from Luc is short, straight, forward and good fun with fantastic views...recommended. Massanella is interesting, you might have to pay a toll to enter the valley, but a nice Mediterranean wooded run emerging in in a scrubby coll and lead up to the multi pinnacled top, again great views and black vultures. Ternnelles valley was a problem for me, I went looking for vultures off the track and it was hard work, spiky fan palms and hard underfoot,Torrente de parais was great fun, but awful drive down....if your alone...you will spend most of your time alone..like most Spanish mountains / wilderness, most people are on the beach...one of the few places that Ive been with fantastic running ....but the terrain is hard...where you can have the mountain to yourself. nerja offers access to some big mountains and good running to. Problem is you waste time exploring / finding your way, but thats half the fun !

Navigations straight forward if you can read the rock, cairns can be misleading, use your map or GPS (i dont use a GPS). Mallorca is a fantastic place for fell runners, but you will find a lot more scrambling is involved. I used to leave the wife and kids in bed , do my stuff, then get back for a day sight seeing or visiting Inca market, a meal, entertainment and bed..start again, but the best bits (excepting the kids enjoyment) were on the mountain...petty I couldnt take my 2 Jack Russells

Advice...BE PREPARED and take plenty of water, in winter prepare for snow ...yes ...snow

PS Im from the Lakes Cumbria UK and Ive used June Parkers book, a lot and various maps ....good luck and safe and happy running
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52

Hi Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hi
Ive been to the island several times and usually spend the mornings in the fells (mountains) running. I like to base myself in the north Pt pollensa is great, allows good access to the mountains and afternoon swimming / family time.....good luck and safe and happy running
What an enthusiastic response...Thank you..Keep posting

My FlickR Photos
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09

Smile

Oh Chris C you must be sooo fit. I saw fell runners running up the cami de Lluc 2 weeks ago and was in awe of their abilities. Tell me, how do you avoid sprained ankles?
Old 05-11-2011, 13:41

I see 'ChrisC' is from Cumbria. I used to be a regular fell walker in the Lake District and to see the 'Fell Runners' was always an awesome sight. The speed they run down mountains is to be admired - but often madness - but it must be wonderful to cover great distances at speed with the occasional glance at the scenery on the flat bits.
There used to be the 24hour maxol mountain marathon events - do they still do them?
Old 05-11-2011, 21:44

Great post Chris Brings back wonderful memories for me ,I used to leave the family in the port & buggar off into the fells for hours although now age & health restrict me to the short runs.
Frae Lorton originally marra.
It is a fantastic way of exploring the Island although you don't need to be a runner .
The area behind Alcudia in the forests & over the top of the quarry is superb it is totally isolated,a word of warning though,don't go there on Sundays as shooting parties venture out.
I managed to get caught up one evening halfway through a run when I found myself hiding behind a wall for 20 mins.
Keep up the posts Chris.