Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 07:49

Default castel del rei

I went last September to the Castel del Rei, after years of trying! Finally it's possible, by contacting the town hall in Old Pollensa. I downloaded a permission form and then faxed it back to Joana, who did the rest.

At the Ternelles gates they are very hot on security, if you are driving up, leave the car well below the gates as there is nowhere to turn, and they are not keen to allow you in to do this.

Once in, the walk is through very pretty countryside on easy tracks.....my friend and I took a picnic, which we had at the castle with the best views I think I have seen for a while, towards Soller and Cavall Bernat. You can't actuallget up to the castle as the rock has crumbled and the entries are "in theair!" their is a slightly signed track taking you to the side of the castle where you find perfect picnic rocks!

You can continue down to the sea, but it would add a lot of time and the real wow factor comes at the top( in my opinion!)
This is really worth doing, and I'll certainly go again this time.
4-5 hours depending on your speed, and the size of your lunch!

Good walking, Teen.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-08-2011, 09:33

Thanks for this Teen, you've whetted my appetite even more now. Excuse my ignorance but where are the 'Ternelles Gates' and how do you get to them? Is this in or near PP?
Old 27-08-2011, 14:20

The ternelles access is from the Lluc Rd above Pollensa. I believe you can get the permits for access from the tourist office in Pollensa as well, you have to give 24hr notice.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:31

Go up the road past the old Pollensa footy pitch(behind the Argy restaurant) just keep heading straight until the road starts to rise up through the mountains, this will bring you to the gates, very special indeed.
Old 28-08-2011, 07:49

Go beyond the football field on the Lluc road, a little road is signposted to the left to Ternelles, opposite the road leaving old Pollensa, near the Roman bridge. Take this, and eventually on your left is a patch of ground where you can park, it's not far to the gates from there.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:09

Thanks all, I can picture where it is now.
Old 28-08-2011, 20:19

Can you give me a link to where you downloaded the permission form from please?
Old 29-08-2011, 09:22

Default castel del rei

Currently at work but will do it this evening. I think it was the ajuntamiento de pollensa, dodgy spelling possibly!
Old 29-08-2011, 09:43
Super Moderator

Is this the one Teen Benvinguts a Pollença . It is is Catalan but you can Googletranslate a lot of it .
Old 29-08-2011, 17:30

When I was in PP in May, I inquired at the Tourist info at the Taxi rank in the port. I was given a form to fill in and return when I had my Passport as they could not process this without it. It requires the applicant to state their passport number and the number of people accompanying them on the walk.

I was told that they telephone the security at Ternelles and book you in the next available date. I was told they only allow so many per day and weekends are often booked up quite a way in advance.

I did this walk many years ago when you had to get permission in Banco March, the owners. It was time limited entrance and quite a hike in the time available.

I remember the views were excellent and well worth the slog.

I think I will apply in Sept/Oct when next out to do the walk again.

Has anyone ever hike from CSV over La Mola and the Pass de Pescadores to get there?? Not sure if its allowed, there was some mention of this route in another thread some time ago, to gain access to some beaches below the castle.

My FlickR Photos
Old 23-09-2011, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I went last September to the Castel del Rei, after years of trying! Finally it's possible, by contacting the town hall in Old Pollensa. I downloaded a permission form and then faxed it back to Joana, who did the rest.

At the Ternelles gates they are very hot on security, if you are driving up, leave the car well below the gates as there is nowhere to turn, and they are not keen to allow you in to do this.

Once in, the walk is through very pretty countryside on easy tracks.....my friend and I took a picnic, which we had at the castle with the best views I think I have seen for a while, towards Soller and Cavall Bernat. You can't actuallget up to the castle as the rock has crumbled and the entries are "in theair!" their is a slightly signed track taking you to the side of the castle where you find perfect picnic rocks!

You can continue down to the sea, but it would add a lot of time and the real wow factor comes at the top( in my opinion!)
This is really worth doing, and I'll certainly go again this time.
4-5 hours depending on your speed, and the size of your lunch!

Good walking, Teen.
Sadly the wow factor is no longer possible as access to that part of the walk is now forbidden due to the reappearance of the black vulture in the immediate vicinity . The guard at the gate to Ternelles told us that the bird is a protected species and that we were welcome to to walk to the beach but not to stray off the main pathway towards either the castle or the picnic rocks .

Whilst this is perfectly understandable , it would have been nice if the tourist office or the council had warned us beforehand as we may not have wasted a morning on what turned out to be an uninspiring walk .
Old 23-09-2011, 19:52

Still the Town Hall probably had your safety at heart, I've heard those old black vultures hover over the picnic rocks in search of the perfect ensimadas.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40

4 of us did this walk again on the 24th of September with no restrictions. Picknicked with stunning views!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23

hOW DID YOU GET THROUGH THE GATES ?
Old 12-10-2011, 14:25

Spoke into the intercom, gates opened, and we met the chap at the little hut just after the gates, and showed him the permission form.