Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/)
-   -   Cycle Hire and Early Morning Runs (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/7198-cycle-hire-early-morning-runs.html)

first timer 30-03-2011 18:22

Cycle Hire and Early Morning Runs

Hello again, as I mentioned in my other post it's my first time over in Puerto Pollensa and I really can't wait.

I'm an early riser and don't like wasting a single minute of my holidays, so I'll be up and about at 8am. I'd like to hire a bike for the whole week, and if anyone can give an indication of where I might be able to do that it'd be great. Prices are most welcome too!

As for my other question, the hills just to the North of the bay look like a great morning jogging/hiking spot, although I can't tell whether it's too steep for that, or if it's even accesible!

Are there any cool little spots within a 5-6 mile radius that I could run to (without a phone and not get lost!) and maybe 15 miles for cycling?

BonysLad 30-03-2011 19:40

Welcome to the Forum, First Timer

Take the searoad out to Alcudia from the Port and then turn right along the bay where it says " Pollenca ". Keep onto to Pollenca town where you will turn right again on the main road back to the Port.

Perfect circuit , IMO , and just right for an early morning run .

Maybe , we'll meet up but I maybe an hour ahead of you !!!

Have fun

BonysLad :):)

Rich 31-03-2011 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by first timer (Post 56345)
.............. I'd like to hire a bike for the whole week, and if anyone can give an indication of where I might be able to do that it'd be great.....

Road bike, mountain bike, hybrid?

Have a word with Bruce at Pro Cycle Hire:-

Cycle Hire in Mallorca

Or there's a new shop just opened called 2GoCycling, just round the corner from Bruce. They are still working on their website, but might be worth dropping them an email:-

Site under construction

Or there are these guys:-

Pollensa Cycling - elite cycles hire

In terms of cycling routes you'll find that there is a nice cycle lane all the way around the bay to Alcudia. A nice trip which will be about 13 miles each way is to the Caves at Campagnet. There's a good cafe there for a coffee and a sandwich before pedalling back.

Sparky 31-03-2011 14:02

Take a look here for Walking and Cycling

Walking, Cycling in Mallorca - Majorca

first timer 31-03-2011 18:10

Wow, cheers Rich, probably a road bike but you never know with these things so I'll probably grab a hybrid just in case! Mostly will be riding through town as our apartment seems to be about 2km from the beach, and as I said, early morning wakeup rides :)

Belladonna 31-03-2011 18:17

Keep thinking about hiring a bike and cycling to the gym and back. Not sure which would wear me out more though! Depends if I actually go into the gym I suppose! :rolleyes:

usandthewoof 31-03-2011 18:30

BD you would have trouble finding pretty footwear to use on a bike !

I have been walking to Alcudia and back a few times a week recently starting from the Port at about 7.30 and there have been lots of people walking and / or cycling so the coastal road is a very popular and scenic route - I recommend it :D

BonysLad 31-03-2011 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandthewoof (Post 56441)
BD you would have trouble finding pretty footwear to use on a bike ! :D

Don't bet on it !!!

Why do you think Imelda Marcos quit ???

BonysLad :D

Rich 31-03-2011 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandthewoof (Post 56441)
BD you would have trouble finding pretty footwear to use on a bike !

Some of the ladies I cycle with seem to have found a supply of pink and purple Sidi cycling shoes. They're proper cycling shoes with velcro straps, pedal cleats etc.

It's the lycra that counts most though. ;)

Belladonna 31-03-2011 20:02

Thanks Rich, I might by them just for the hell of it they sound so pretty! LOL! No comment on the lycra though if you don't mind!;)

roig cat 01-04-2011 20:45

Hi First Timer,

I run on a daily basis when staying in Pollensa /Puerto Pollensa. IMO the hills to the north are too steep and the roads too busy.
As well as the sea front, the lanes between PP and Pollensa are great running terratory. Flat, quiet and you can have a good neb at all the villas and Fincas whilst your running! The best way to access the lanes is at Ca na Volatina or Llenaire. IE head on the coast road towards Alcudia and then take a right AFTER the roundabout which takes the traffic on the by-pass.

May I suggest printing a Google road map of the area to help you orientate?

bannergal 01-04-2011 21:01

For ROIG CAT

Hi

Is that right before Club de Sol????

mpg.mk1 02-04-2011 09:17

Hi First Timer
You are obviously still a fit young person. I used to go for a run early in the morning but these days my glass back can't take it! I now hire a bike for the duration of my 2 week stay; last week in July/first in August.
Some good points raised so far in this thread:

Hiring a bike; I am not a serious cyclist, so I hire a bike from Jose - opposite the Ora Playa. His bikes were always pretty basic but last year I booked a hybrid type bike before I arrived which suited my needs. I have never tried any of the other places mentioned above so I can't comment. Jose does me such a good deal I go back every year!
If you are going to venture far, which you probably will, I would opt for a road bike and don't forget a spare tube or repair kit. I only ever had one puncture and was very fortunate to be able to push my bike back within a couple of hours!

Routes: As I mentioned I don't cycle much at home so I build up my distances over my 2 weeks. The road to Alcudia is great first thing in the morning with the sun coming up behind Formentor. I usually go to Alcudia round to Pollensa where I stop for a coffee and a fresh Croissant then back to the Port. There are several routes back to PP, either the main roads or through the reserve. The suggestion to download a Google map was a very good idea; there are many different roads through this area and as roig cat mentions; some fantastic villas to neb at along these lanes. There are also quite a few tracks - little more than dirt, some are dead ends, but not all these are shown on the Google Maps.
Once I’ve done a few days I begin to venture further a field. Once you’ve reached Alcudia you can keep left along the coast and head towards la Victoria, (mentioned on this forum elsewhere.) You can cut across this peninsula and come out by Alcanada golf course and then head towards Port Alcudia and back. Another alternative once you’ve reached Alcudia is to go towards Crestatx and there is a road off right to Pollensa, or continue all the way to Crestatx and then back to Pollensa. I don’t like this road it is the main road continued from the motorway, however the road from Crestatx to Pollensa is a nice ride.
I once tried the route from Pollensa to the Monastery Lluc with my prospective son in law. A great ride! Some fantastic views but quite a climb. We got to the top expecting to find the Monastery but there appeared to be quite some descent and distance to still go. The young whippersnapper did not fancy having to climb back up again so we headed home. This ride raised a very important issue – we ran out of drinks halfway up the hill! We thought we would top up supplies at the monastery but did not make it, fortunately it was downhill all the way back to Pollensa. July is obviously very hot and I guess even in May you should take plenty of fluids if you are going to venture beyond the towns.
The ride up the hill towards Formentor is “interesting” but worth it for the views!
The bike I used for this ride was little more than a shopping bike – it just lacked the basket on the front! You climb (and climb) the hill and reach a spectacular viewing point, get off and take a look over the edge! The main road starts to drop down towards Formentor but there is a minor road that continues to climb the hill. Eventually you reach some run down buildings where you can leave the bike and walk the last few yards to the top. Remember your camera for this trip! From the Port this route looks daunting but if I can do it on a shopping bike I am sure anyone who cycles a bit will manage it. The first section of the hill is the steepest, get past this and keep going!!
Sorry if I’ve rambled on but I love being out first thing in the morning, especially on the lanes between Pollensa/Alcudia/PP. I am quite jealous at the thought of you going out in May when it should be just a “little” cooler and more comfortable for cycling. Once you have been out for a few rides you will soon see where will be best to do your running.
Enjoy you time there; perhaps you can do a report on this forum upon your return?

mpg.mk1

Belladonna 02-04-2011 11:00

You carry on rambling - can you do that on a bike?! Great post and very informative for cyclists, thank you for taking the time and please keep us posted on other routes you may take.:)

Rich 02-04-2011 11:18

This website below (set up by my lad) shows several of the routes we use in March on our training camps. Most of them are 60+ miles, but route 9 is a nice 30 miler along roads which will be nice and quiet early morning.

www.tmracing.org.uk/bi-po/

Might be a nice one to build up to.

The routes gives descriptions as well as providing maps.