Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/)
-   -   Anyone walked or driven here? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/6657-anyone-walked-driven-here.html)

roig cat 03-10-2010 16:56

Anyone walked or driven here?

Hi,

I am looking for some new walks for our break in November and have just noticed on Google maps, a road called 'Cami de cala castell'. It seems to track down to the beach to the west of Cala st Vincente, starting in the Fornells area. Has anyone driven down here? Is it worth say driving half way and walking the rest?

Would appreciate any first hand knowledge.:)

pescador2009 03-10-2010 22:38

Did the walk several years ago. Really worth while, beautiful countryside, then a walk through woodland, then on to the Castile del Rey. Some brilliant views from there, perched high up on the mountainside. Didn't make it to the beach, but could see it from the 'Castile', looked good.
And now the big problem..... The walk is on private land and is often (more often than not) closed. It used to be open on one or two days a week (if I remember correctly). You need to check with the local tourist office, or possibly the 'outdoor' shop in P.P. I'm sure someone out there will have done the walk this year IF it is still open to the public. Good hiking!

pescador2009 03-10-2010 23:06

Hi again, just found this previous post by 'Pollensa' from back in 2006.
I do remember quite a lot of people around when I got to the 'Castile', but also remember peace and quiet on the trek there... a good two and a half to three hours from Pollensa Town (each way).

CASTELL DEL REI *
The hike to this remote mountain castle, 7km north of Pollenca, is one of the most popular in Mallorca; it gets particularly crowded because of the limited hours. The castle is on a large private estate and it is only open to visitors on Saturday. Walk from Pollenca to avoid parking problems; allow at least five hours for the round trip. You get there by taking the small country road to Ternelles opposite Pollenca's Roman bridge; stay on this road until it ends at the gate to the estate. The walk then climbs gently through a cool pine forest, eventually reaching the castle, 490m above sea level. Founded by the Moors and strengthened by Jaume I, this was the last fortress to surrender to Pedro of Aragon when the brief-lived kingdom of Mallorca came to an end. It has been abandoned since 1715 and would be terribly romantic if it were not for the crowds.

"Wouldn't expect it to be too crowded in November, thats if it is open."

roig cat 04-10-2010 19:08

Thanks for that! The walk isnt mentioned in any of the books I have, should have realised it was private land.

We will drive out there on the Saturday of our stay and have a look in any case.

I will report back if we managed to get to the Castile.

Mark 05-10-2010 12:04

I remember reading about this on a blog earlier in the year and I found this link.

The Castell Del Rei Mallorca Daily Photo Blog

Maximum of 20 people per day by permission.

I hoped to do this walk, but not been to Mallorca yet this year....

roig cat 05-10-2010 16:15

I wonder if there is a fee?

Gommar Goffer 05-10-2010 23:12

I had heard that the estate had been taken over by the bank and that it was closed to the public but that was a couple of years ago.

I have done some routing around (well a couple of minutes on Google) and it sees that you have to apply to the Adjuntmante for a pass which can take up to 4 days to process - not sure if this is still the case:confused:

Mark 06-10-2010 09:48

Taken from my link above where the photo was taken by the writer on 24th February 2010:

Up until a short while ago, access to the finca was restricted, but now, a maximum of 20 people per day are allowed to embark on this excursion, subject to application and approval. Please contact the Ajuntament in Pollença if you should want to go.

Looks like access was permitted in February.

Look at that blue sky in February :)

If anyone does get permissin to go please post how you did it here :)

cumberland8 12-10-2010 07:01

I have cycled up to Ternells for the past 2 years but there is an electronic gated system, does anyone know who operates the gate? even if you have permission.