Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56

Unhappy Boquer Valley To Close To The Public?

According to a letter published in the online edition of the Majorca Daily Bulletin today the Boquer Valley is going to be closed to the public.

Has anybody heard about this or indeed knows who has the authority to make such a draconian decision?

Terrible news if correct.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 10:06

Terrible news, we have gone on that walk every year we have gone. The problem is that unlike here all of the land there is owned by some one, and of cause you have to walk through the land belonging to the big house to get to the start. I assume it is them who may be doing this, I suppose they have the right to, it would be difficult to get to the valley around the house. Can someone over there look into this for us.
Thanks

On island time!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:28

The owner of the house would like the town hall to contruct a path lower in the valley so that people don't have to walk in front of his house (a small detour). It is a public right of way. At the moment he is saying that he will close the access if this path isn't built (maybe he thinks that only threats will work). This would mean another court battle like Ternells, eventually it will have to be opened but why have years of dispute. I don't blame him for wanting another route to be provided and if this is viable why not?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:12
Banned

Big, big shame if that walk closes. It is just so lovely. What a pity. Maybe the people using it are not respecting the property of the owners of the big house? We don't know.

Anyway, Spanish councils and all that the building of a detour footpath will take years !!!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:17

Hopefully its just a threat from the landowners to force the council into moving the path, the councils are spending money on footpaths and cycle routes generally so hopefully they will do it.

On island time!!
Old 10-02-2010, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelys View Post
The owner of the house would like the town hall to contruct a path lower in the valley so that people don't have to walk in front of his house (a small detour). It is a public right of way. At the moment he is saying that he will close the access if this path isn't built (maybe he thinks that only threats will work). This would mean another court battle like Ternells, eventually it will have to be opened but why have years of dispute. I don't blame him for wanting another route to be provided and if this is viable why not?
No, I dont blame him either - I'd hate having people tramping past my window every day! But I do hope that the walk is not closed altogether and that a good alternative can be agreed very soon. We were never too happy walking past the dog anyway! (My OH was bitten by a dog on a right of way through a farmyard years ago - and he's never forgotten it!)
Old 10-02-2010, 23:01

I did hear that those farm dogs do have the most amazing memories! - Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope it wasn't too bad Rosie. It is a worry if walks are blocked, especially if you don't realise until you are half way there!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
I did hear that those farm dogs do have the most amazing memories! - Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope it wasn't too bad Rosie. It is a worry if walks are blocked, especially if you don't realise until you are half way there!
OMG - come to think of it .......... it did having knowing look as he crept past!
Old 11-02-2010, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
No, I dont blame him either - I'd hate having people tramping past my window every day! But I do hope that the walk is not closed altogether and that a good alternative can be agreed very soon. We were never too happy walking past the dog anyway! (My OH was bitten by a dog on a right of way through a farmyard years ago - and he's never forgotten it!)
The owners(who are very seldom at the property)were quite happy to take the governments money for all the improvements made to the property on the basis that it is along the route of a public right of way.No sympathy from me .Rest assured there will be plenty of local opposition to this if it goes ahead
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24

There are then! As usual, two sides to every story. I wonder how long this one will run - or walk - for? Interesting if you have any further updates over the year Ray!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52

If you haven’t tried this walk I suggest you do, it’s a lovely walk, just take plenty of water, it’s the wild side of Mallorca and the more people who walk it the harder it will be for them to close it.
Don’t worry about the dog that is mentioned he is well chained up and in fact wasn’t there in the summer when we went through the grounds

Map of the beach at Boquer

On island time!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10

Would be a real shame if this closes.

We go for a walk here every holiday.

Plenty of goats, they like to eat banana skins (and rucksacks and shoes if they get chance...)

Feed Me ! - Goat in Boguer Valley, Mallorca on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I fed the same goat on 3 consecutive holidays.

I called her ' Emanuaella', my wife says I am mad

Mark.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31

Default Blocker Alley

My kids would be really upset if this closed. They have been walking there for years and somehow got the idea that Pirates lived there in caves when they were young! It's a tradition that they hide money under rocks each time they go (to stop the pirates getting it!) and try to remember where it was the next visit! They will be searching next week for the money they hid last August!! I don't hold out much hope, as the photo my daughter took of the hiding place was so close up, all you could see was the rock!!
In fact, my daughter couldn't pronounce the name when she was younger and to this day we all still call it "Blocker Alley"!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47

Great story Car, speaking of the caves, half way along there is a big underground well, when the kids were about 10 and 7 they decided to explore inside, suddenly there were screams of terror as the two sons come dashing out closely followed by 10 mountain goats, I don’t know who were more scared, but it took about 10 minutes to calm them down enough to carry on walking. We still laugh about it 10 years on

On island time!!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42

Hi SWS,

Yes, we made the fatal mistake of taking a packed lunch with us once..... one rustle of a sandwich bag and all hell let loose with the goats and children flying everywhere!! Lol!!

Car