Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/)
-   -   how long to cap formentor by bicycle? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/5382-how-long-cap-formentor-bicycle.html)

estheres 05-11-2009 19:58

how long to cap formentor by bicycle?

hi,
I was wondering about how long it will take by bicycle to get to Cap Formator and back.
I am an OK biker (but holland is very flat :) but for sure not a sport-freak or cycle freak.
Will I be able to make it there and back (with some breaks on the way) in half a day?

And will it be a good idea at all in december? Considering weather and matybe short daylight time.

If not recommendabal by bike how much would a taxi be (about).
I think ther e are no buses going in december.

estheres 08-11-2009 21:15

how long to cap formentor by bicycle?

Hi,
about how long will it take to get to cap formentor (and back) by bicycle?

I am an average bike rider but not at all used to mountains and not too quick.
Would half a day be enough (with some stops on the way)?

thanx!

Mark 09-11-2009 10:06

Hello estheres,

If you are not used to mountains then maybe best not try it on a bicycle. :)
Drive it first to get an idea of the challenge :D

The route is used in the winter by many of the worlds best cycling teams as a training area, because it is hard.

When we where there in February for my birthday holiday (it's a tradition now :) ) the British cycling team where staying in PP for training.

When driving to Formentor one day a group of cyclists passed us on a downhill sweeping corner at crazy speeds with a sheer drop off at the side of the road, Crazy, but they love it, it's what they live for. We caught them up at the next up hill but they are amazingly fit.

Its not really for beginners at mountains unless you want to push your bike up hill for miles.

You could probably go there and back in a day with a lot of walking on the climbs, I don't think I would try it as my knees feel like they on fire on a long climb, not as fit as I used to be.

Maybe get some practice in on a long uphill before you try it.
Find the most challenging hill in your area and ride up and down it for a few hours.

Good luck,

Mark

Bigandyg 09-11-2009 15:05

We spent most of the morning walking up pushing the bikes to the viewpoint and decided no way would we push on to the beach,it was worth it all to come back down though more than a tad dangerous to once a year cyclists like ourself.Watch out for the wild goats.

The Wob 09-11-2009 15:06

Having completed this for the first time last month I would allow 1/2 a day, and that will allow plenty of stops. Of course, best to try this outside of the hot season!

Take a couple of spare tubes as the road surface is a bit iffy in places.

The Wob

TheFussies 10-11-2009 21:43

estheres,
I've cycled it many a time but in the summer!!!Its a long hard slog 40k in total with 2 X200metre climbs going out and a final climb of about 100metres to lighthouse. Then repeat for the way back. Few options to stop for a refreshment so you have to take sufficient water with you (in summer viewpoint above port and Formentor beach then lighthouse). From memory I normally take about 3 hours. Not sure if the lighthouse bar/cafe is open in winter I'm sure viewpoint will be closed and probably the Formentor beach bar. Having said all that views are stunning, traffic is likely to very light so go for it if weather is dry with no forecast of rain. Roads can be treacherous in the wet. Finally make sure you take a spare tube and pump its a long walk back if you get a puncture.

estheres 13-11-2009 11:25

thefussies, thanx for the reply!
Are the best views in the end, or are there good views all the way? In other words will it still be any good to go F.E. only half way and turn around? I would like to give it a go and enjoy the way, but if it is too hard or if the weather turns bad just turn around.
Good tip about taking a spare tube/pump :o)
I was also thinking about taking little lights because of the tunnel.

estheres 13-11-2009 11:31

thanks for the replies!
Would you go (/did you go) by mountainbike or by racing bicycle?

TheFussies 14-11-2009 20:18

The stretch from Formentor to tunnel is a bit boring with not much in the way of a view. It is however great from PP to Formentor and from tunnel to lighthouse. From tunnel there are two beaches one each side that if you are tired it may be worth making your way down to. They are deserted though with nothing in the way of facilities even in summer. The Alcudia side is the better of the two in my opinion.

Enjoy

TheFussies 14-11-2009 20:20

As for bike type go on whatever you are comfertable with. Road is suitable for a road bike, mountain bike if you go all the way up too the watchtower above the bay.

fudbeer 03-12-2009 00:47

I have done this ride myself.

I am not super fit but do cycle regularly and I would say the issue you may have here is the hills I live in Sheffield and am used to them but even to me the first hill is hard work.

The other point is I did it without lights and going through the tunnel was really scary.I would recommend you have lights.

estheres 04-12-2009 10:35

@ fudbeer
How long did it take you to get there?
And is getting there the same time as getting back (or more uphill one way and down hill the other way)

thanx!

ray 04-12-2009 20:43

I get tired just driving there:)

fudbeer 08-12-2009 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by estheres (Post 37496)
@ fudbeer
How long did it take you to get there?
And is getting there the same time as getting back (or more uphill one way and down hill the other way)

thanx!

Hi

From memory I would say about 3 hours maybe a little less.

The first hill you go up out of PP I found the most difficult it is quite steep in places and being the first hill you do not want to go full pelt!

Again from memory the hills on the way back are long but not as steep.

You will probably find the first hill will give you an indication of whether you can complete the route as I suspect many not used to hills would probably turn back afier climbing it particularly if its hot and they are not pacing themselves!!!!

andy from embsay 30-12-2009 11:18

Hello - just looked back at my GPS track from when we did it one evening in the summer - we were riding for just over 2hrs and had 30mins stops. We got quite short of water as the cafe was closed and there's no tap or anything, so I'd recommend taking two bottles. We were on road bikes and are reasonably (though not unfeasibly) fit.

It's 26 miles there and back, and there's about 2,500' of ascent - hope that helps!