Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 17:26

Default Puig de Maria

For the last 15 years when we have spent our holidays in PP, we have always planned to climb up Puig de Maria, but then when we arrive we remember quite how hot it is (!), and bang goes that plan for another year.

Last August, I made the flippant comment that the only way we were ever going to do it would be to come in the Winter - and it was from that one comment that the short break that we have been enjoying this week came about.

So today was finally day and boy, were we not disappointed. Filled with our Sis Pins breakfast, we set off on the climb, and just over 1 hour later, we arrived at the top and were met with the most amazing views of the old town and the Port. Absolutely fantastic!

I can only recommend it to anyone else who has thought about it, but then put it off for whatever reason. Certainly not something to contemplate in the summer, unless you are supremely fit, and it was certainly hard work today, but most definitely worth it.

And then to finish us off once and for all, we walked from one end of the Pine Walk to the other, and back. Looking forward to dinner and bed tonight!!
debz1, sws97sdg, Sparky and 12 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 17:42

I second that. It is really worth the effort. There is also a decent little bar and restaurant at the top. Although I am not sure if it is open all year round.
Old 03-02-2017, 17:46

We were quite amazed to discover that it was open - we only had a drink, but there was a full food menu available. Amazes me how the lady who runs it gets to work every morning, although there was a car parked in the little layby almost at the top, where the road (if you can call it that) finally runs out and becomes rough stones. It passed us on our way up just after we had commented that presumably no cars ever drive up there these days.
Old 03-02-2017, 18:25

We have also been saying the same thing for years that we must do the climb up the Puig, and so we set off one day last September. I can't remember what day it was but about half way up I thought I was about to breathe my last. I could literally feel my heart pounding in my head We had picked probably the last of the really humid days and although there was no sun it was so hot with not even the slightest breeze. Added to that there was something in flower with a really strong scent ( a bit like lilies...which always make we wheeze at the best of times!) Ok I'm probably making excuses and need to get fitter but it was really hard work and I would never contemplate it again when it's so hot.

However it was so worthwhile once we got to the top as the views are amazing every which way you looked. After a sit down and probably a gallon of water the walk down was lovely!
kcdc230, Rosie34 and Tommo like this.
Old 08-02-2017, 00:23

I'm inspired - walking boots going in the case in 2 weeks' time! Training has begun!
debz1 and kcdc230 like this.
Old 08-02-2017, 21:08

more room in the case for essentials if you wear the boots on the way out
Old 08-02-2017, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by supamac View Post
I'm inspired - walking boots going in the case in 2 weeks' time! Training has begun!
Glad to have inspired you!

The only bit of advice I would give is to stick with it - we were having serious doubts after about half an hour as to whether we could make it, but just took it really easy and drank lots of water on the way up. It is most definitely worth the effort when you reach the top.

Look forward to hearing about your trip.
Old 09-02-2017, 15:00

We too, have made it to the top....three times now. The restaurant at the summit is a delight, the only day they don't cook is Monday. Being a cat lover,I have also been rewarded with the clan of beautiful ginger cats who live at the top!! Have only seen them once, but counted 17! Of course this may be enough to put some of you off!! The views are simply stunning!!! Well worth the three days of painful muscles afterwards.
sws97sdg, Lorenzo and Rosie34 like this.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagic21 View Post
We too, have made it to the top....three times now. The restaurant at the summit is a delight, the only day they don't cook is Monday. Being a cat lover,I have also been rewarded with the clan of beautiful ginger cats who live at the top!! Have only seen them once, but counted 17! Of course this may be enough to put some of you off!! The views are simply stunning!!! Well worth the three days of painful muscles afterwards.
Yep, the cats were definitely in attendance when we were there. One or two met us while we were still climbing up and then there were a few more when we got to the top. We stopped in the cafe, and them when we came out, they had just been fed and were all tucking in to a huge pile of cat food;

DSC_0467 by kcdc230, on Flickr

Then a dog appeared, and all of the cats raced in to the hole in the wall that you can see in the picture, where that single cat is sat admiring the view! Every single one, gone in a flash!

We waited for a few minutes, and after the dog had gone, one by one the cats all re-emerged from the hole - I even managed to get a bit of video of them all coming out because we couldn't quite believe it. Their den must be huge inside - I imagined something along the lines of The Wombles (if anyone can remember that far back) with individual rooms and corridors!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:58

The dog belongs to the warden who has an office at the top, he is also very friendly, when we last went up, the dog and cats were there as well as some baby goats, it was just like a petting zoo, lovely. When the children used to come with us we all used to walk up to the top, for the kids it was always to see the cats and to see how they had grown up since the previous year.
SandySunshine likes this.

On island time!!
Old 10-02-2017, 14:28

Lovely photo!! Yes, that hole in the wall is incredible. We watched one cat emerge, then another, till the 17 came out for feeding. It was like the Pied Piper, except cats not rats!! Also strange about the one or two black/ tabbies as nearly all ginger cats!! A truly magical place!!
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 05-03-2017, 18:43

Does this walk start from the port or Pollenca please?
Old 05-03-2017, 19:03

Pollenca town.

maps link.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...39!4d3.0162026

streetview:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.87...8i6656!6m1!1e1

from pollenca town walk across the car park near the repsol garage and Renauilt garage to the lane up the hill.
car park:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.87...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Old 05-03-2017, 19:06

this picture was taken from the top:

Pollenca square from above by Mark G., on Flickr
pollensa likes this.

Last edited by Mark; 05-03-2017 at 19:49.
Old 05-03-2017, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
Does this walk start from the port or Pollenca please?
its an extra 5 km if you start in the port !