Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/)
-   -   I'm new here! Hiking Advice (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/walking-cycling-golf-sports/12980-im-new-here-hiking-advice.html)

Elizabeth 02-08-2016 15:08

I'm new here! Hiking Advice

Hello everyone,

Thanks for accepting my request to join the forum.
I am not really sure what I am doing as I have never posted in a forum like this before so apologies if it is in the incorrect place.

We are coming over for the first time in October mainly to hike. We have no car and have booked Rich from Mallorcan Walking Tours for a day or two but he has no availability on some days. We are researching our own walks but any advice would be really appreciated ... I am finding the bus timetable website 'interesting' to navigate ... I am guessing I should ask about buses and hiking in more detail in another area?

Any how hello and ANY advice on hiking or indeed posting would be appreciated.
Thanks

tangofan 02-08-2016 15:25

Hi Elizabeth, welcome to the forum!

There is a section further down called "once you are here" on walking which may be of interest and I am sure the tourist office will have information on walks. There are two popular walks that many people do to Cala sa Vicente and the Boquer Valley which are relatively easy and it sounds as though you are made of sterner stuff and will want something a bit more challenging! Whatever you do I am sure you will have a lovely time

Tommo 02-08-2016 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 113754)
Hello everyone,

Thanks for accepting my request to join the forum.
I am not really sure what I am doing as I have never posted in a forum like this before so apologies if it is in the incorrect place.

We are coming over for the first time in October mainly to hike. We have no car and have booked Rich from Mallorcan Walking Tours for a day or two but he has no availability on some days. We are researching our own walks but any advice would be really appreciated ... I am finding the bus timetable website 'interesting' to navigate ... I am guessing I should ask about buses and hiking in more detail in another area?

Any how hello and ANY advice on hiking or indeed posting would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Elizabeth. You'll find tons of helpful information on here.

pollensa 02-08-2016 15:50

Welcome to the forum!

As you are mainly interested in walking/hiking advice I've moved your post to this section. The guided walks with Rich of Mallorcan Walking Tours - Walks Hiking Majorca Spain are very good. There are also some good walking books on Walking Books on Majorca and maps on Maps of Majorca.

And you may find our summary of local buses useful too Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers

Elizabeth 02-08-2016 16:39

Thank you pollensa - I will get my head around this eventually. Hours of research ahead - thanks again.

Teen 02-08-2016 21:17

Walking

I used the little sunflower books.....forget the authors name. With these we walked all the accessible summits and many other routes. I also have old but useful Spanish military maps .......however now very out of date.

pollensa 03-08-2016 08:36

The Sunflower Guide is : Mallorca: Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes) Paperback – 16 Apr 2015 by Valerie Crespi-Green - now in its 8th edition & updated in 2015 - so pretty up to date.

car77 03-08-2016 09:12

Hi Elizabeth

A few years back someone called Steve (I think he was Australian??) spent 6 months in Mallorca and wrote an excellent blog on hiking. A lot of the walks were around the pollensa area. I have only done a couple of the easier ones mentioned above but found it absolutely fascinating reading. In fact I'm going to read about them all again! The link is below.

Spain

regards Car

Molt de Renou 03-08-2016 10:04

Hi, I hope these two websites are of help. Don´t know if I am allowed to publish, but here goes.

Las mejores rutas senderismo en Port de Pollença, Illes Balears (España) : Wikiloc

Las mejores rutas senderismo en Pollença, Illes Balears (España) : Wikiloc

roig cat 04-08-2016 08:22

I'm walking with Richard Strutt in October: Puig Roig and Archdukes Path, we may meet?

overthehill 04-08-2016 20:51

Some walking ideas, tried and tested

Hi Elizabeth,
If buses are still running to formentor when you visit, the walk up Na Blanca is really good and the views from the top are spectacular. You could get a taxi there and back for a reasonable price if no buses.
Bus to c'an Picafort, Son Baulo end and walk coast towards Son Serra de Marina is interesting.
Bus to Pollensa and walk up Puig de Maria.
Also from Pollensa do Ternelles Valley walk. Permission for this has to be applied for as only 20 walkers allowed daily. This is easy to do online or from the tourist office in the port early in your stay. You just need your passport info. Lots of threads on forum about this walk.
Get bus to Lluc and walk back down to
Pollensa along good paths and Cami Vall de Pollensa.
Bus to Alcudia for Puig de San Marti.
We have always used Charles Davis book Walk Mallorca North.
We have been walking the area for years, you won't be disappointed!

Happy rambles

JohnE 16-09-2016 19:48

We are regular hikers, visiting Pollensa twice a year. We always hire a car, and like using the guide (Mallorca) published by Rother. It covers the whole island, but does have several walks in the Pollensa area. Our favourite walk starts at the Ermita la Victoria, across the bay, and takes you up to the atalaya (lookout tower), down the other side, through part of la Victoria park, up to a ridge at Na Benet, and then along the ridge and on to Alcudia. Without a car, I would suggest taxi to the Ermita, and bus or taxi back to PP. it is quite demanding, and has stunning coastal and distant mountain views. A car does open up a huge number of walks, but is not for the nervous (plenty of bends and drops) or impatient (there can be huge numbers of cyclists). But it is a brilliant island for walking.
JohnE

Mark 19-09-2016 13:35

Welcome to the forum :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 113754)
We are coming over for the first time in October mainly to hike.

You might become addicted once you start exploring, we did :)

I wouldn't try and do too much on your first trip as the days go so fast and there is so much to see and do.

A local bit of hiking is to start at Victoria Restaurant which is a short taxi ride away.
Head for Talia Alcudia and Penya Roja.

Some link to blogs and guides about this walk.

Sa Penya Roja (Alcúdia) 21-7-2013 | Aires de la Serra Mallorquina

Mallorca - Penya Roja Talaia d'Alcudia - Mud and Routes

A video found on Youtube, Not for people scared of heights as there is some Exposure ;)
https://youtu.be/a0GGsIgUJsc
That is a proper family holiday isn't it :)

A picture from one of our forum members, El Gordo.
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5444/6...1484a901_c.jpgShepherds/Fishermans Pass - Penya Rotja by El Gordo PP, on Flickr

Have fun on your holiday.

Molt de Renou 19-09-2016 14:05

You must be joking !.

Mark 19-09-2016 14:34

:D That's a short walk before lunch for us hiking types :D