Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports

Walking, Cycling, Golf, Sports A favourite with visitors to Pollensa.

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 10:40

Default Cyclists and driving

This is not a provocative title, but a request for information. We have just returned from a week in PP, something like our 20th visit. We usually visit in late April, principally to walk in the hills and mountains, look at flowers and birds, and enjoy eating out in the evening. This year the number of cyclists seems to have been higher than ever, and the driving, particularly to the Cuber area and back, has been very difficult. I am not blaming the cyclists, but just stating the obvious, that the mix of cars and bikes on narrow winding roads is not good for either group. I was wondering if anyone can tell us whether a change of time to visit would help. We could, for example, come in May next time. Does the number of cyclists reduce in May?
One more question, if I may. Is there any way of pushing for improvements to the parking at places like Cuber? The ruts are so deep, that it is risky in the average hire car, and it would be a simple job to make them less hazardous.
All answers gratefully received. And in case you think this is a grumble, we still regard Mallorca as one of our favourite places in the world...
JohnE
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 10:49
Super Moderator

Hi John, there has been much discussion about cycling on this thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ong-front.html.
All i can say to you is that the numbers of cyclists will now decline as the weather warms up .
animagic21 likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 13:34

John, we too found the driving difficult in April on the MA10. We have been visiting in April for over 10 years now and the number of bikes this year has increased tenfold. We were particularly annoyed with their hand signals, ie telling us when we could and couldn't overtake! We have eyes, I'm not usually prone to road rage but driving 3-4 abreast and waving us on when it was convenient to them was enough to set me off. We are going elsewhere next April but hope to continue our annual October visit for walking. We always park at the side of the road at Cuber. The car park is hidden and a prime spot for vehicle robberies.
animagic21, Rosie34 and Nick like this.
Old 01-05-2016, 16:31

Just a thought Roig mentioned hand signals..... There is a 8 basic hand signal language when on a group ride which tells others in the group of hazards such as glass ,pot holes or raised tree roots making an uneven surface.This signal could be miss interpreted for overtake.

There is a ninth signal but not exclusive to cyclists.

More info available via google etc.
CharlieV likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 19:43

Ninth option gets my vote! That said, cyclists bring a huge amount of trade to the island. So a pity that the cycling community is so breathtakingly thoughtless to other road users. How often, as a driver, do you come across the three abreast group taking up more road space than three coaches, completely unconcerned by the huge queue of traffic backed up behind......on winding uphill roads travelling at no better than walking pace.

With a bit of thought, they could break up their group into manageable smaller units, but they feel there is safety in numbers and don't give a **** about other road users.

They won't change......only option is to come to PP at other times, or not at all.

Cyclists.....the towel on sunbed group of road users! LOL
Old 02-05-2016, 09:07

JohnE, the number of cyclists (especially those riding in large groups) will decline from May through to peak season - partly due to the hotter weather, and also because they realise that the combination of them plus lots of peak season tourists is not good for either party.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:42

Another excellent article by Andrew Ede

alcudiapollensa: When Anger Takes Over: Mallorca and cycling
Belladonna and roig cat like this.
Old 02-05-2016, 18:51

Excellent article, hopefully by being written by a recognised journalist the authorities will take note.
Molt de Renou likes this.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:59

Scathing letter in the MDB today.

Letters to the Editor » Letters to the editor » Comment » Majorca Daily Bulletin
CathB, debz1, mike_dublin and 2 others like this.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:17

At last the police appear to be taking action over all the cyclists riding the wrong way down the front. There are at least four Guardia Civil vehicles by Tamarells at the moment presumably stopping them
Old 03-05-2016, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
At last the police appear to be taking action over all the cyclists riding the wrong way down the front. There are at least four Guardia Civil vehicles by Tamarells at the moment presumably stopping them
Is it one way from Paris to the 1919 roundabout??? Even for cyclists?? I thought cyclists were exempt from the one way system and the scheme was intended to allow for cyclists and prevent motorists going both ways??

Surely me and the wee man coming back from tennis on our strollers wont have to go along the bypass?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:41

Once the cycle lane is installed, cyclist will be able to go both ways on the whole length on it

On island time!!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Anyone reading that letter, which seemed very sincere, would surely be in no doubt about the nuisance value that seemingly quite a lot, but NOT all, cyclists now pose in Mallorca.

Being a nuisance is one thing, being verbally or physically aggressive with it is quite another.

Anyway, now we're into May there should be less of them.

(Respectful ones though always welcomed at whatever time of year).
Sparky and Jimbo the Jambo like this.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Is it one way from Paris to the 1919 roundabout??? Even for cyclists?? I thought cyclists were exempt from the one way system and the scheme was intended to allow for cyclists and prevent motorists going both ways??

Surely me and the wee man coming back from tennis on our strollers wont have to go along the bypass?

Yes hoopy one way once when you get to the Marina carpark. At the moment until the cycle lane is done you have to wheel you bikes down the rest of the front or go for an extra long ride round the bypass
hoopy likes this.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
I hope they will also take action against packs of cyclists riding at speed the wrong way in C. Formentor. I was nearly run down by about 20 riders at the crossing by Na Ruixa and a car coming the correct way from the Miramar had to swerve to avoid a collision.