Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Using the Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/using-pollensa-forum/)
-   -   Keeping posts on topic. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/using-pollensa-forum/7350-keeping-posts-topic.html)

Sparky 09-05-2011 11:54

Keeping posts on topic.

Hola amigos,
Over the last few days i have received a number of complaints from members about posts going off topic, i know sometimes when replying to a post it is easy to drift away from the point, i am guilty of it myself, but can we all try not to. If you are in doubt just start a new thread, this way the information people are looking for will be easier to find.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Regards Sparky.:)

pollensa 11-05-2011 10:47

I am also getting complaints from members & those who would like to participate but are wary as all the 'chat' between longstanding members put new people off.

So once again, please do contribute with useful information and reviews, do ask questions and if you have a comment about a restaurant etc. whilst on another thread, do as suggested and START A NEW THREAD and please, please take the personal comments to the Tapas Bar.

Thank you very much, Zelda.

BonysLad 11-05-2011 17:00

Pollensa,

As probably the biggest offender I can only apologize and am sorry that what was meant as light-hearted banter has inhibited folk from posting . Have always felt that most of us older members have also been very welcoming to new members.

It's your Forum and quite rightly you set the rules . If you just want an information point to support your business , then fine, no big deal.

I for one, just like the social interaction as well. Obviously in a minority.

Am therefore going to take me posts on the alternative view on PP to Twitter as the Tapas bar really ain't for me.

BonysLad :)

Kym 11-05-2011 18:20

I don't think you are in the minority at all Bonydlad. If those people who feel inhibited to post but take the trouble to complain in private are missing out on forming future friendships. As you say if it is to be an information forum then that's that. Personalities are not welcome!

Nick 11-05-2011 18:35

I have to agree that continually going "off topic" can be a pain but what about setting up a forum entitled "off topic".

I know there's the "tapas bar" but I never use that either.

Just my opinion....

pollensa 11-05-2011 18:43

I think there's rather a lot of over-reaction going on here. The forum has been going very well and we've all enjoyed Bonyslad 'alternative' restaurant reviews and other comments. It's only been in the last few days or so where several threads have gone way off-topic and moved in to chat between a minority of members where we felt that things wee not quite right. I've actually been away & Sparky has done a brilliant job of moderating and doing her best to keep things on track.

There has never been any objection to 'personalities' or the odd quip here & there. All we are asking is that the forum moves back slightly to how it has been for the last few months and why it is so successful.

There are plenty of other forums that work well in this way (I'm a member of several others) so there's no reason why this one can't.

So please do carry on contributing everyone. :)

favie 11-05-2011 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollensa (Post 58297)
we've all enjoyed Bonyslad 'alternative' restaurant reviews and other comments.

I have loved BL's posts.....his amazing epic tales of life in the port, makes us all feel as if we are there! (Also, I am sure encouraging new members/visitors) Always interesting and usually full of his great humour......never takes anyting TOO seriously. Not forgetting all his very informative posts also....you will be missed BL.

Of course you must come back!!:)

Kym 11-05-2011 21:22

Can someone please explain to me why anyone should worry about posting. If they are on thread there is no problem anyway. Also no one is aware of who anyone is as people hide behind their forum name and not their own. I still find people complaining privately a little like running to teacher. LOL joke before anyone is looking to be offended!

snowy2007 11-05-2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLad (Post 58291)

As probably the biggest offender

Am therefore going to take me posts on the alternative view on PP to Twitter as the Tapas bar really ain't for me.

BonysLad :)

I must be the Second then. :cool:
BL we all love your post and look forward to a good light hearted read, if your not posting on PP forum and moving to Twitter I will also join just to read your superb post. Tell me what's the difference between posting about vegetarian food and drinking Guinness ? in the Guinness Club sorry its Club Boynslad.

We are both long standing members of the forum never did get all my post back after the hack or I would be way up the list by now.

As you say its Pollensa's forum and she can do what she likes with it, I to think its a shame that your light hearted post have been taken the wrong way they will be missed and so will you. :mad::mad:

I agree with you about Tapas Bar. OK if you like reading other peoples Blogs or finding out what wine on offer in Tesco.

kate1 12-05-2011 10:39

Totally agree, 100% - it's the brilliant, invariably hilarious posts from Snowy, Bonyslad, Belladonna and all the other longstanding regulars who make this forum what it is. Most of these people used the Forum when I originally joined - years ago now - even as a 'newbie' I felt welcome and part of a community.I am frankly amazed, in these days when we all use Twitter and Facebook with impunity, that anyone should feel intimidated by what is basically witty banter. Obviously when posts get too personal, or could be interpreted as offensive, that's the time to call a halt and I think the moderators have in the past been very wise when making these decisions. But I have definitely noticed a toughening of the rules over the last few months - if rules is what they are. Honestly, does it matter if occasionally some of us feel a bit excluded from a discussion as long as we are entertained at the same time? Lighten up, people!

cujimmy 12-05-2011 11:10

If a certain section of members on this forum want to chat with one another off topic then surely the likes of msn messenger facebook or even better skype would be much more appropriate they could chat amongst themselves to their hearts content

kate1 12-05-2011 12:18

Well, I think it's inevitable on this sort of forum that some members are going to exchange a bit of banter on occasion; after all, some spend a lot of time in PP and know each other personally, and some visit only once a year. So some discussions are always going to be more chatty, and some more a simple exchange of information - depends on the topic. What does concern me is that posts from certain contributors seem to be getting censored, just recently, for no good reason. I'm an 'outsider' myself in that I don't live in PP and I haven't personally met any of the characters who enhance the Forum with their wit and inside knowledge, but I cannot understand for the life of me how anyone could take umbrage at some of the posts which have been removed. The recent thread on slippers springs to mind.... really, if a discussion of footwear is allowed to extend no further than listing retail outlets, the world is going to be a very dull place and this forum is going to find itself sadly short of members.

Kym 12-05-2011 14:08

Well said Kate. I agree with everything you have said. The superior and school mistress attitude in this forum us just too much. I'm sure the hits to the website and therefore it's revenue rely very much on the forum members. This should perhaps be noted by those in uniform!

cujimmy 12-05-2011 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate1 (Post 58321)
Well, I think it's inevitable on this sort of forum that some members are going to exchange a bit of banter on occasion; after all, some spend a lot of time in PP and know each other personally, and some visit only once a year.

Exactly my point if I want to converse with friends the I would use one of the methods in my previous post or heaven forbid pick up the phone!!!

susiejb 12-05-2011 17:04

Sorry Favie that is entirely my fault....I felt that my posting just didn't explain what I was trying to say.
Have sent you a PM.