Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Using the Pollensa Forum

Using the Pollensa Forum Please use this Forum to discuss using the forum ONLY.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 06:09
robjay

Default Music for Pollensa II

At present we have no idea if our lost forums will be returned. So I'll ask if you would be so kind as to start this forum again.
The idea came from the fact that we burn CD's to take with us on holiday, if you lose them it's no problem to replace them.
We asked if we could have some suggestions as to the tracks we could use to make up an album called "Music for Puerto Pollensa". What we asked for was music that gets you into that sunny happy holidays groove. And what memories made you feel that way about the track(s) you choose.
We thought it would be fun to make up a play list and have the reasons for each track so that when we burned our copies we would not only have a happy sunny good feeling CD but also know something about why each track is on the disk.
So can we start again?.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 06:10

Hello Rob

I'm not sure whether my recommendations will make it onto your CD because they're quite old songs, but on the "lost" "Listenin' to" message I'm sure Smiddy mentioned Roxy Music.

When I was in my early teens, my parents used to take me on motoring hols to Italy, Spain and the South of France and the music they played in the car was Roxy Music's "Flesh and Blood", Boz Scaggs "Middleman", Alison Moyet, Phil Collins' album "Face Values" and the one that takes me instantly back to Italy was Abba's greatest hits. I still play all these now and it's wonderful how they can capture those long hot journeys by car and the never-ending autoroute.

My parents were also big fans of Santana and the two tracks I love in particular are "Let the Children Play" and "Dance Sister Dance". Played very loud in the car, I find them great for improving my mood!

We always used to find a particular track that reminded us of our holidays and our first time abroad when we went to Tossa de Mar we listened to Julio Iglesias (!) and Richard Clayderman because wherever we went in the resort one or the other would be playing!!

(We actually bought the Julio Iglesias album in Spanish but don't tell anyone!!:rollin )

At the moment, my 9 year old daughter shares my music taste and is always begging me to play U2 in the car - their latest album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is great, especially the first track "Vertigo" which is a bit Spanish!!

Anyway, I hope you have fun burning your CD's and I'm sure you'll get loads more suggestions for the ultimate PP album. If it's successful it could be our anthem!! Just don't let the DJ's in Ibiza get hold of it!!

Regards
Jane
Old 03-06-2005, 06:43
Founder

How about the one that goes:

"Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind." apparently it's by Seals & Croft but I thought someone else sang it? Very summery.

Also 'Summer in the City'....
Old 03-06-2005, 17:08
smiddy

JH, Roxy Music? Not guilty. Compilations are great fun, but save yourself the bother, buy the Beach Boys Greatest Hits, any given track reeks of summer. PP might not have the "California Girls" but at least we have the same climate.

RobJay, If you insist:

Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
Sunny Afternoon - Kinks
Girls on the Beach - The Beach Boys(Like a smooth Baileys and crushed ice slipping down the back of your throat)
Sunshine Day - Osibisa
Barbados - Typically Tropical!!!!!!! (Far away from London town, and THE rain)

Girls, I'm not being sexist, PP has it's stunners too. :lol
Old 03-06-2005, 17:18
robjay

Jane,
I must be as old as your parents :eek . I was a massive Roxy Music fan :smokin ( the first time they played on the TV was on The Old Grey Whistle Test and I was sold!, and considered weird. Only near the end did they become "popular").

I'll add U2 and vertigo because it gets me going too.

One suggestion was for Santanna and the track was Smooth.

Pollensa I'm trying to remember who sang your song originally. And it's bugging me :rollin

Come on folks fill the CD with your tracks and memories.

Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 17:42
robjay

The title Summer Breeze was recorded in 1972 by Seals & Croft. Not to sure if this is the version your thinking of, You can listen to a clip of it on Amazon.com.
The version I like is by the Isley Brothers (again on Amazon). It is so smooth and summery.
I'll burn that one for sure!.
Thank You.
Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 17:43
robjay

Smiddy I'm the Roxy Music fan :rollin . Like your selection but which do I choose?.
Sunny afternoon by the Kinks, That reminds me of being a small boy and singing it in the garden, and my older sisters thinking I knew a "dirty" version of it . I still don't know what they were talking about:rolleyes . Do you?
Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 19:11
robjay

This is a sort of re-post for Jane. I'm glad you found it as funny as we did :lol .

My choice of track for the CD is Love Shack by the B52s.

And I'll tell you why. (it helps if you have seen the video, it's on the vault everyday).
One night we were getting ready to go for a night out on the town in PP. I was just getting out the shower when I heard Love Shack on the Walkman. Grabbing my mike (toothpaste tube) I rushed into the room and started my impersonation of the B52's8) Caroline join me as we sang along and dance away doing all the moves on the video.
Because I hadn't dried off and had only wrapped a towel around my waist :eek the tiled floor became wet. A puddle formed at my feet. All of a sudden I skidded across the floor:eek , towel flying in the air and legs akimbo:eek . I lunged out to grab something. What did I grab?, only the door handle for the room!!!!:eek :eek :eek . The door part opened and closed as I un-gracefully slid legs and arms flailing against the door:eek .
Caroline and me ended up lying on the bed in fits of laughter:lol :lol , we had tears running down our faces:rollin . We laughed about it all night.
God only knows what the folks in the next room:| :| thought was going on in our room:evil :evil , or what on earth would have happened if I'd fallen out through our room door :rollin .

So for me Love Shack reminds me of atleast one of our many happy times in Puerto Pollensa.

Hope you laughed again Jane :lol .

Rob x
Old 03-06-2005, 19:12

Hello Rob,

Yes, I did laugh again!! Very funny!!:lol

Smiddy - sorry you mentioned Phil Collins always being played at Pascalino's. I don't know why I mistook PC for Roxy Music - not the slightest bit of similarity!! Must be my age!

Regards to all
Jane
Old 03-06-2005, 19:41
jonesy

Default Music for Pollensa II

Hi

I but one in earlier but it has vanished with all the rest. I suggested Smooth by Santana however there is another that brings back hundreds of memories for me. Unfortunately I can`t name it, but it is an album of Beatles songs played as instrumentals on the spanish guitar. It comes every time we go to Corals for lunch. I did get them to write down the name of the artist and I took it to a record shop but they just shrugged their shoulders. Not much help to you is it! anyway roll on June!!!

Jonesy 8o
Old 03-06-2005, 19:53
robjay

I liked your reason for smooth by Santana, the bus journey.and I love the track. I remembered :lol .
I'll ask around about the Beatles one for you.
Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 20:21
Founder

Yes it was the Isley brothers version I liked.

& I must be old too (it is my birthday this Sun) as I saw Roxy Music in concert twice & bought all those albums with the fabuous covers.

Re love shack, you should add it as it's a great dance track anyway along with Lady Marmalade & Play that Funky Music....
Old 03-06-2005, 21:11
cambusall

I don't think I'm that old but I also saw Roxy Music in the Glasgow Apollo about 1978. The song that I would include on the album would be 'First Picture Of You' by the Lotus Eaters from about 1983. Happy listening.
Cambusall
Old 03-06-2005, 21:57
robjay

Good Choice Pollensa!.

Re the Roxy covers, they are works of art. I still have them on vinyl along with the early Ferry solo albums and a Video. I saw them at Edinburgh Playhouse 1978 and later at the SECC.
Favorite early Roxy song "In every dream home a heartache" the words were so true to my Marriage at the time , but not my life since divorce :lol .

Another good choice of track Cambusall!.

This is fun. Can you add a reason to your choices just for fun.

Thanks
Rob
Old 06-06-2005, 20:45
PennyWhite

REM got our family vote.
Though must say on a holiday on the Costa Brava a few years ago we had a car with only a cassette player, so, ditching the CDs and after fiddling about the with radio husband Bob bought a tape of Jon Bon Jovi 'One Wild Night'... after three weeks of that now any track from it can instanty transport me to Platja de Pals and environs.....
Closed Thread