Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Travel Companies

Travel Companies Discussions related to experiences with specific travel companies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 13:45

Default Who To Choose?

Hi all - hope this is in the correct thread, but if not, I'm sure it will get moved to its proper place!

I am thinking of booking my 2012 holiday with either OnTheBeach.co.uk or Holidays-Direct.co.uk. Both are offering holidays to PP at considerably cheaper cost than the big tour companies - maybe too much so? I have read some not so good reviews of OTB.co.uk, but also some good ones. I can't find anything at all about Holidays-Direct. Does anyone know of either of these two, and any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

I know I should book flight/transfers/hotel etc independently, but I'm not really brave enough yet! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 14:12
Founder

Am afraid I don't have any actual experience of either of these but have you tried either Sunshine or Alpharooms who both offer either just hotels or with flights/transfers and are both ABTA bonded?
Old 03-10-2011, 21:35

Default go on - do it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy-B View Post
Hi all - hope this is in the correct thread, but if not, I'm sure it will get moved to its proper place!

I am thinking of booking my 2012 holiday with either OnTheBeach.co.uk or Holidays-Direct.co.uk. Both are offering holidays to PP at considerably cheaper cost than the big tour companies - maybe too much so? I have read some not so good reviews of OTB.co.uk, but also some good ones. I can't find anything at all about Holidays-Direct. Does anyone know of either of these two, and any comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

I know I should book flight/transfers/hotel etc independently, but I'm not really brave enough yet! Thanks.
Hi Jazzy

I really would recommend doing it independently.

All the answers that you'll need are here on this website and if you get stuck just post and I'm sure the members will find a solution. It really is a lot easier than you think and once you've done it you will never use a tour company again.

Go on you can do it !!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51

I've used Travel Republic numerous times.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51

It is a worry these days booking with an agent.... will they still be there this time next year etc in these bad times. We have also booked independently this year. Hotel direct and easyjet flights. We will book resorthoppa nearer the time for the transfers.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50

Thanks all for your replies. I really must get my head round booking everything independently, but unless I write a list, I'm bound to forget something Rich, I also read differing reviews about Travel Republic, but obviously you found them OK. Just shows you are more likely to read a bad review than a good one! btw, which part of this forum gives advice on independent bookings? Thanks once again.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28
Super Moderator

Hi Jazzy-B there is no specific area on the forum but it is really quite simple to book independently, once you know your dates your flights can be booked online and then you can arrange somewhere to stay, of course you can do it the other way round if you wish. If you click on this link Rent Villas Apartments in Puerto Pollensa (Port de Pollenca), Majorca (Mallorca) you will find many properties that are rented out privately, there are also links to local rental agents and other companies who can arrange just accomodation or flights + accomodation.
When you have done this once you will wonder why you didn't do it before. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask if you need any more help, our members are brilliant at sharing their knowledge .
Old 05-10-2011, 12:50

Hi Jazzy B we always book independently - always works out well - there is always worry of agent/tour company going bust -in july 2008 we were on one of the last flights out of palma on XL airlines - didn't realise how hairy that might have been until we were back in UK - 9 of us with three children under 6 and that was just an airline booked independently ... now use Monarch - bu that's just our personal choice. Good luck Tibbles
Old 05-10-2011, 21:58

Default list

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies. I really must get my head round booking everything independently, but unless I write a list, I'm bound to forget something Rich, I also read differing reviews about Travel Republic, but obviously you found them OK. Just shows you are more likely to read a bad review than a good one! btw, which part of this forum gives advice on independent bookings? Thanks once again.
Hi Jazzy

I've taken the liberty of doing a list for you to try and twist your arm - hope you don't mind.

1. book your flights on the tinternet.

2. sort out insurance - this can be done with the airline when booking your flights if you don't want any extra hassle or you can search for a better deal on the net.

3. book some accomodation - I would recommend doing this via this website.

4. sort out transport to and from the airport in the UK

5. sort out transport to and from the airport in Mallorca

6. have a good holiday and spend all the money you've saved eating out in PP.
Old 06-10-2011, 15:02

Thanks for that Labore - saved me doing it! I am now seriously considering a 'do it myself', and looked at cheap flights, but couldn't bring anything up for next June. Is it too soon? I also looked on this site for accommodation and found a couple I liked. I put my dates of arrival and departure into the box, and a message saying 'Your arrival date is later than your departure date' came up. I retried several times, but then lost patience with the computer! I would really like a 10-day holiday (as usual). Would you think this not feasible for rented accommodation?

And lastly - for the time being - how do I book transfers (by bus) from/back to the airport, and where would I get the bus at the airport and where does it drop in PP? Husband and I a 'bit nervous' about the transfers bit, and the drop off in PP would focus where we chose our accommodation - lugging bags around on a hot day not an attractive prospect!

Thanks you all very much for your help, and I can't wait until I've done it once, and then PP is my oyster!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 15:15
Founder

Quote:
I also looked on this site for accommodation and found a couple I liked. I put my dates of arrival and departure into the box, and a message saying 'Your arrival date is later than your departure date' came up. I retried several times, but then lost patience with the computer! I would really like a 10-day holiday (as usual). Would you think this not feasible for rented accommodation?
I'm not aware of any date problems on our site. Are selecting them in the little calendars? Let me know which dates you were trying & I'll have a look. Was this on www.puertopollensa.com/rentals ?

If you are going in the peak season, most owners prefer to let for complete weeks & Sat-Sat but you can always ask.

Quote:
And lastly - for the time being - how do I book transfers (by bus) from/back to the airport, and where would I get the bus at the airport and where does it drop in PP? Husband and I a 'bit nervous' about the transfers bit, and the drop off in PP would focus where we chose our accommodation - lugging bags around on a hot day not an attractive prospect!
A lot of people now use ResortHoppa which is a shuttle service that you book online. However you do need to specify the nearest hotel to your accommodation if you are staying in private accommodation. See Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers
Old 06-10-2011, 16:18

Quote:
looked at cheap flights, but couldn't bring anything up for next June. Is it too soon?
There should be plenty of flights for June ?

Might be worth starting a thread in the flights forum and asking for recommendations for June from whichever is your local airport.
Flights to Palma de Mallorca, Majorca - Pollensa Forum

someone is sure to help
Old 06-10-2011, 16:22

I know a lot seasoned travellers on the forum always book independently but you do hear horror stories of accommodation not existing or being problematic with no-one to complain to and I understand Jazzy-B's dilemma.

I would always book flights and accommodation using my credit card then you have some protection should the company fail and I think it worth paying the usual credit card charge for this benefit. Alternatively I think some insurance companies cover you now for volcanic ash - type incidents and also tour operator failure.

I would suggest finding your accommodation first as most probably have fixed arrival days, particularly during the summer so it would be a pain to book some flights and then find your chosen accommodation couldn't fit around them!
Old 06-10-2011, 21:40

Quote:
Thanks for that Labore - saved me doing it! I am now seriously considering a 'do it myself', and looked at cheap flights, but couldn't bring anything up for next June. Is it too soon? I also looked on this site for accommodation and found a couple I liked. I put my dates of arrival and departure into the box, and a message saying 'Your arrival date is later than your departure date' came up. I retried several times, but then lost patience with the computer! I would really like a 10-day holiday (as usual). Would you think this not feasible for rented accommodation?

Thanks you all very much for your help, and I can't wait until I've done it once, and then PP is my oyster!!!
Hi Again Jazzy B

I realise it may prove a bit daunting taking the plunge for the first time and if you don't mind sharing a bit of information I don't mind doing a bit of the spadework for you and I'm sure other members will chip in with suggestions as well. You have plenty of time to sort it all out so don't panic and it will all fall into place so just concentrate on sorting out one thing at a time.

How many of you are travelling ?

Which UK airport/airports are best for you

What kind of accomodation do you prefer eg. hotel or self catering.

Have you any preference what area of PP you want to stay in ?

Are there any days in June that you can't travel ?

what is your overall budget ?

If you don't want to share any of this information I fully understand.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03

Default Who to choose

Hi Jazzy-B
I for one and I am sure there are others who, when we get a serious enquirey will "hold" the accomodation for 48 hours while people organise their flights.I am equally sure 10 days and mid week arrivals are acceptable and I have always been flexiable to try an accomadate people.
Send me a pm if you would like to find out more for next year.
The Senor