Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Travel Companies

Travel Companies Discussions related to experiences with specific travel companies.

Like Tree2Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCNEWSGIRL View Post
Interesting JMD40, it would be gud 2 get the same level of service as the old Travel Club of Upminster. It has never been the same since the Birmingham company took over...please keep us informed
Yes I agree. I am looking forward to further updates
Sponsored Links
Old 24-09-2010, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD40 View Post
Royalties - now thats an idea?????
Tangofan - hold tight dont do anything for now there is no rush - ssssh, dont tell anyone but there is a possible plan B being closely investigated to ensure that all those fantastic loyal TCU customers can still enjoy the same holidays they have been enjoying in the past.

Thanks for this JMD40. I will await further developments...!
Old 25-09-2010, 18:56

Unhappy Illa D'Or Hotel and Club Apartments

I notice today that Sunclub.co.uk are advertising on the Forum prices and accommodation at Illa D'Or Club Apartments and Hotel for next year. Is Travel Club still in there for future bookings? Or does this mean that bookings need to be made either direct with the Hotel or through Sunclub?
Old 27-09-2010, 21:10
Founder

There is an extremely odd comment here from the owner of TCU - see Simon Calder's blog The latest LBC Presenter Blogs | LBC

"Thomas Cook, the company that started the inclusive holiday 160 years ago, and is still Britain's second-largest holiday firm, has written to hotels in Spain, Greece, Turkey and beyond saying it will not pay the final 5 per cent from the money it owes for accommodation provided in August and September. Why? Well, that's a question I hoped to put to a representative of Thomas Cook, but the company has declined. Instead, they gave me this statement:
"It's a result of the impact of the exceptional challenges we, and the market, have faced this year - volcanic ash, emergency budget, slow return of consumer confidence. We've had a great deal of understanding of this from our partners. It's a better solution than reducing capacity and the majority of hotels have been supportive."
But don't try the same trick on Thomas Cook - the first won't allow you to knock of 5 per cent from the final bill. So what's the fall out, except possibly wiping out the hoteliers' profit margin? Well, one immediate effect, according to the owner of the Travel Club of Upminster, is to make Spanish hotels uncertain about whether they'll get the money they are owed from British firms. As a result, customers of the Travel Club of Upminster are being asked to pay again, and then to claim back the cash when they get back to Britain.

What Thomas Cook is doing is pretty bad but I really don't see how this can have affected TCU that much. It is having a far worse effect on the Spanish hoteliers.
Old 27-09-2010, 22:00

That is absolutely disgusting behaviour - tantamount to holding a gun to the head! Basically saying " we are not paying you - what are you going to do about it?" The outcome is simple - we will not be welcome because of the greed of the big travel companies - vote with your feet and wallets - use the little guys - go private - stuff the shafters!
Old 28-09-2010, 14:05

The Travel Club of Upminster have gone into administration according to this link
Travel Club of Upminster enters administration - www.travelweekly.co.uk

People who have paid by credit card can try and claim back......but because they were not Abta bonded customers may have real problems!
This goes to show you really do need to buy from an ABTA protected Travel Agent or somebody who is offering Supplier Failure Cover so you know your money is protected.
Old 28-09-2010, 16:48

So it is definite then. It is very sad that Travel Club should end in this way. We first used them about 30 years ago, then once we had children we holidayed in the UK as we couldn't afford to go abroad but once we decided to venture abroad again, Travel Club were our automatic choice and we have had many holidays with them in recent years.

As BBCNEWSGIRL says, the only way to book a holiday nowadays is with a credit card or special insurance cover. This usually rules out renting from private owners so it is very difficult to know what to do as we all need to be sure our money is safe don't we.

Most of the properties still seem to be available through Sun Club but who are they? Their website says they are members of ABTA and they offer supplier failure cover but is that sufficient? It doesn't say who is providing this. They don't have the ATOL logo but their FAQs refer to them having it.
Old 28-09-2010, 17:57

Thomas Cook to Cut U.K. Jobs - WSJ.com

I bit more on Thomas Cook!
Old 28-09-2010, 17:59

Sorry had to remove re copyright reasons which I hadnt noticed when pasted!

If you Google' Thomas Cook 5', the full article is available (or it was for me and I dont subscribe to this US newspaper)

Last edited by roig cat; 28-09-2010 at 18:03. Reason: copy right reasons!
Old 28-09-2010, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofan View Post
So it is definite then. It is very sad that Travel Club should end in this way. We first used them about 30 years ago, then once we had children we holidayed in the UK as we couldn't afford to go abroad but once we decided to venture abroad again, Travel Club were our automatic choice and we have had many holidays with them in recent years.

As BBCNEWSGIRL says, the only way to book a holiday nowadays is with a credit card or special insurance cover. This usually rules out renting from private owners so it is very difficult to know what to do as we all need to be sure our money is safe don't we.

Most of the properties still seem to be available through Sun Club but who are they? Their website says they are members of ABTA and they offer supplier failure cover but is that sufficient? It doesn't say who is providing this. They don't have the ATOL logo but their FAQs refer to them having it
Funny enough I rang Sunclub this afternoon and enquired about the supplier failure cover, they were very helpful and explained that every element of the booking you make through them will be covered by Supplier Failure Cover, so you have no worries. All the flights they book are also ATOL bonded, so there is no worries there! I want to book the Illa Dor again for next year, had a great time this year (1st time) so really keen to secure my room for next year.
Old 28-09-2010, 18:33

I don't understand why it is thought a risk to rent from a private owner. I would suggest that it is very safe to do so. How many private owners do you read about who have 'gone broke' and holidays have been cancelled without refund of money? I can't think of a single case. Many private renters have also now arranged to accept credit cards too and as has been said insurance can be taken out. By booking direct with the owner and building a good relationship is a good way forward as many who have done so can verify.
Old 28-09-2010, 19:03

That is encouraging news about Sun Club, though I wonder who the Supplier Failure Cover is provided by. It must be an insurance company but I couldn't see any company named. It wouldn't be much use Sun Club providing it if they then ceased trading! Like you I want to get my booking for next year settled.

Eleanor, I appreciate your position as a private owner and am quite certain that 99.9% of owners on this forum for example are absolutely genuine. However there are cases where not so much the owner runs off with the money rather that people pay for accommodation that doesn't actually exist or is of very poor quality. I recently looked at a very large well known lettings site (not for visiting Majorca) but was alarmed by reports that some properties do not exist or are addresses of people who actually live there so the accommodation is not actually for rental. I think there was a case like this reported elsewhere on the forum recently - I am not suggesting the family involved rented via this website before anybody tells me off! As previously stated, I do not believe credit card companies or insurance would cover privately rented accommodation and whilst I agree many people are happy to book privately, some of us are perhaps more cautious, and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 28-09-2010, 19:16

Another good reason to deal only with the actual owner of the property. I think you will find that the majority of properties advertised on this site for example are people who have been 'around' for a period of time and are known to be the owner of the property and have a track record with this site. We also advertise on another well known rental site and I can assure you that they have a very strict vetting process. It is becoming more the norm for credit cards facilities to be offered. We actually have the facility which as you say will offer a safeguard.
There will always be the odd horror case which gets through of course but with the literally thousands of weeks rented by private owners it has to be agreed that these are very few and far between.
I think that private renters seem to get hammered constantly. The majority offer an excellent service, do their very best to accommodate their renters wishes and generally offer excellent facilities. Unlike travel companies who hide behind a company name - the private renters know they are in the firing line should things not go to plan.

Last edited by eleanor; 28-09-2010 at 22:49.
Old 28-09-2010, 20:55

Perhaps if people are worried about renting a private property they could ask for references from previous clients. I'm sure that if owners asked if clients would mind giving references there would not be a problem.
Also, it would only take one private booking to be "wrong" on the PP site, and the accommodation would be taken off by the administrators, so this is a pretty safe site to book from I feel.
Old 28-09-2010, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Perhaps if people are worried about renting a private property they could ask for references from previous clients. I'm sure that if owners asked if clients would mind giving references there would not be a problem.
Also, it would only take one private booking to be "wrong" on the PP site, and the accommodation would be taken off by the administrators, so this is a pretty safe site to book from I feel.
100% sure on that one Bella LOL Only joking of course, I totally agree that if one went 'wrong' it would be taken off
Closed Thread