Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Travel Companies (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/travel-companies/)
-   -   New Thomas Cook TV Advert (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/travel-companies/5508-new-thomas-cook-tv-advert.html)

James 09-01-2010 20:53

New Thomas Cook TV Advert

Thomas Cook have just aired a new TV advert for 3 nights free if a booking is made with them now for either Mallorca, Menorca or Ibiza. The ad features scenery shots of the Balearics.

When the advert switches to say "It's Menorca" (after "It's Mallorca") the scenery shot is actually a stunning aerial view of the bay from the marina all the way around to the Illa d'Or!

I have nothing against Menorca but it is slightly annoying that Menorca should get the credit for the beauty of PP!

Belladonna 10-01-2010 00:43

Oh very well spotted! And as they say, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

debz1 10-01-2010 13:14

I've just looked up the ad on the Thomas Cook website. It is PP!!!

Could they be done for trades description or something?! ;)

its cd 10-01-2010 13:32

I've just emailed them asking them what they think they are doing

Will report back

eleanor 10-01-2010 13:35

Hi debz. I haven't seen the ad and can't find it on the website. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place!
Have you the link please?

favie 10-01-2010 14:18

Eleonor,

You might have to play it more than once it is very quick.....and very cheeky!!

3 Nights Free if You Book Now Advert, Ad - Thomas Cook Travel Agency - Video Clip

eleanor 10-01-2010 14:21

Thanks Favie
OH - yes I see what you mean! Little naughty of them isn't it. Don't suppose they will change anything though. They would have paid thousands to their advertising agency for the ad.

Belladonna 10-01-2010 14:31

They don't actually say that each video clip matches the places that they are saying at the same time, so there is no come back. But - as they say yet again (who are THEY by the way?) That no publilcity is bad publicity, and look at us all talking about it! Clever eh?!

eleanor 10-01-2010 14:38

AND Bella - doesn't it just make you feel like getting on a plane quickly? The video is positive and thats what it is about. Looks great!
You are right - Don't THEY also say bad publicity is better than no publicity too? (I have no idea who THEY are either lol)
All three look beautiful islands.

debz1 10-01-2010 16:07

Thanks for posting the link Favs :) I did try late last night but couldn't get it to work :rolleyes:

Will look forward to hearing what Thomas Cook have to say cd!

its cd 10-01-2010 17:25

Debz

Don't hold your breath .... got passed around a few times then told to address my issue with the press Office using email address pressoffice@thomascook.com

Interestingly my email to that address gets a delivery failure saying that the can't send messages to Bronwen.Griffiths@mytravel.ca

Oh I do like a challenge .......... this is now more about me not being able to get in touch than the original question

Sorry pollensa , a bit off topic but interesting nevertheless

Chemical Dave 10-01-2010 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by its cd (Post 38198)
I've just emailed them asking them what they think they are doing

They are advertising holidays in the Balearics. No misrepresentation has taken place. Don't see aproblem with it.

Adios

Dave

its cd 10-01-2010 19:02

Yes they are advertising hols in the Balearics BUT surely when they show a scene with a caption "its Majorca" then show another schene with a caption "its Menorca" and another with "its Ibiza" ....... people will tend to think that the scene represents the caption

If they had said come to the Balearices, Majorca, Menorca and Ibiza and then cycled through a few scenes, no problem .... its the deliberate twinning of scene and caption which I think means the viewer could reasonably expect the scene to match the words

Imagine if someone was advertising the Premier league and they flashed up a piccy of Ryan Giggs and said "its Man United and then a picture of Drogba and said " Its Liverpool "........ would than not seem odd ?

eleanor 10-01-2010 19:51

As Favie said, CD, it is very quick and I think they were just trying to get a message across. IMO the ad shows the beauty of the three islands which is good for PP in as much as it allows the viewer to see what great places these islands are to visit. I would much rather it be seen then not as I think the ad is positive. In this climate especially I think it is good to see the Balearics promoted and that is what it is doing.

its cd 10-01-2010 20:50

Agree with you Eleanor ........ great to see such a positive portrayal of the 3 islands