Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Travel Companies

Travel Companies Discussions related to experiences with specific travel companies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 10:19

Default Not exactly a price war......

Have started poring over the brochures to choose something nice for 2009, and have nearly had a fit at the price of villas and apartments.

Have used Villa Select over the last couple of years, and their prices have taken one heck of a hike. I appreciate the exchange rate isn't exactly favouring us in the UK at the moment, but I think travel companies are beyond optimistic if they think we'll all be able to bung more money their way next summer.

So it's a case of wait, wait, wait and try to find a late bargain isn't it?

Are we finding price hikes across the board?

PP could be quite quiet next summer if the companies don't become realistic in their pricing.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-11-2008, 10:47

Hi spudbag
I booked the same villa we had this year when we came back in August because we wanted a specific week and loved the villa so much we didn't want to risk it being booked. Even back then the prices had been increased well above inflation, so I dont think its just the credit crunch to blame, it is just a general increase in prices. I thought at the time I had done the wrong thing by booking so early, but now as everyone seems to be putting the prices up it may have been a good move, I dont think the prices will come down again before the summer thats for sure.
Old 21-11-2008, 13:16
Super Moderator

In the present climate, i think a lot of people are afraid to commit themselves too early and will leave it until the last minute to book a holiday. If the tour operators have a lot of holidays on their hands they will slash prices. So there could be some bargains to be had.
Old 21-11-2008, 13:25
Founder

I think you will find 2 things happening in 2009 - villas that are owned by local are very likely to cost more in GBP compared with last year as it will have been a year since the prices were published for 2008 and there has been massive drop in the value of the pound against the Euro in that time. Based on the rate that I have to use for my accounts:

September 2007 1.4734
September 2008 1.262

(if I've done the maths right that's a 14% drop).

On top of that a lot of the Tour Operators are attempting to keep their businesses running by being aware of the likely drop in demand for next year & have cut the number of holidays they are offering but have increased the rates to try & keep the revenue up.

There may be some late bargains next year but there will be less holidays & probably less flights as well.

Having said that there will still be the same number of 'beds' available so there should be some deals there - especially if you book hotels separately.
Old 21-11-2008, 15:11

I had a look at Villa Plus today and compared prices being charged for next year with what we paid this year. There was an increase of £200 on the same dates (8 August for two weeks).

Is this good? Could the £400 be saved on the flights?
Old 21-11-2008, 17:53

Default Not exactly a price war

I think you will find the best rates are with the private villas /Apps to rent on this site.
These are mostly priced in £ sterling so we the owners are taking the loss on the exchange rate when we transfer money to pay all our bills in euros.
I for one have kept the same rates for 4 years now and I know others are doing the same.
These are not times to be greedy so providing we are not loosing money it will stay that way as far as I am concerned.
The Senor.
Old 21-11-2008, 18:02

Remember that with the demise of XL and a number of other carriers, very many thousands of seats have been lost to the market, albeit not all to Mallorca but, the operators really do not have an excess to play with for 2009 and they know it........hence they may not need to discount at a later date.
Old 21-11-2008, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudbag View Post
Have started poring over the brochures to choose something nice for 2009, and have nearly had a fit at the price of villas and apartments.

Have used Villa Select over the last couple of years, and their prices have taken one heck of a hike. I appreciate the exchange rate isn't exactly favouring us in the UK at the moment, but I think travel companies are beyond optimistic if they think we'll all be able to bung more money their way next summer.

So it's a case of wait, wait, wait and try to find a late bargain isn't it?

Are we finding price hikes across the board?

PP could be quite quiet next summer if the companies don't become realistic in their pricing.
Book direct with owners and fly with the budget airlines and save yourself a fortune.
Old 21-11-2008, 22:01

Default booking direct

I agree booking budget flights and direct with owners is the way to go. Although priced Easyjet for Newcastle in May and was twice as expensive as last August!

Started to book direct about four years ago when Thomsons wanted silly money supplements for school hols sharing rooms found booking hotel direct cheaper per night than the supplement.

We've been booking appartments from info on site and have all been great.
Old 22-11-2008, 12:13

Default Booking direct

Couldn't agree more and I spent many years in the travel industry. Now, a couple of hours on the internet and a holidays is sorted, just as good as any through an operator and at considerable discount. Whilst on the subject, thanks to Pollensa and others for the info on PP.com
Old 23-11-2008, 19:49

Anyone who works in the Travel industry know that these prices have nothing to do with the tour operators being greedy. The prices for summer 2007 were contracted during the summer or autumn of 2006 when the exchange rate was about 1.45. So, imagine you are the tour op, contract here in PP several apts on a guarantee for say 100,000 euros - that was under 70,000 pounds to pay during the summer of 2007. The pound fell to below 1.20 which meant they were therefore due to pay over 80,000 pounds. Multiply that by all the properties and all resorts that your tour operator contacts and see what a difference that makes to a Tour Ops profits. Then if they were offering a package - big money was lost on car hire or transfers for the same reasons as well as any company trying to book a last minute flight for a client was, like yourselves, being charged crazy prices by the airlines making it often difficult to fill the empty beds. The message is to book early as prices will rise and rise as demand falls. All companies are holding back and reducing the offer - they know if they need more they will be able to get it but will not commit. As for, doing it yourself, thats fine unless the airline goes bust and then you may not be able to get to PP at all to stay in the apt that you have booked - and the owner will obviously not refund you if you do not turn up - even though your credit card may refund you the cost of the flight. Book carefully is my suggestion.
Old 23-11-2008, 21:45

Default good travel insurance

we started using post office insurance last year, as they cover if airline goes bust and also for accomodation and expenses you are contracted to pay up to certain amount. Couldn't agree more that you have to be carefull booking direct, insurance with airline failure is more expensive but would be worth every penny if something went wrong.
Old 23-11-2008, 22:30

Smile prices

Booked for 2009 whilst in P.P June this year . Had a great deal direct with apartment owner (staying 4 weeks ). Waited for Fly Be to release flights for 2009 and had the best deal ever in 10 years with them . O.K. taxes are high from Exeter but as we are only 15 mins from the airport it suits us fine.
Cheers " Slipalong "
Old 28-11-2008, 21:55

Well done Slipalong - it should always pay to book as far in advance as poss providing your money is safe. I have my daughter studying in Barcelona and try to book her comings and goings as far in advance as poss but to be honest have to worry about which company will or not be in operation for those dates with so many airlines going bust you just can`t be sure who will be next. . . .
Old 29-11-2008, 15:25

Smile Cheap holidays

Well, I managed to arrange my house swap - although I had no replies to my advertisment on this site.
I have booked very reasonably priced flights with Flybe from Exeter, we shall be in PP in June for two weeks and we shall enjoy every minute, and our swappers will have two glorious weeks here in Cornwall, all at very low cost.
I still think house swaps are a great idea, especially now with the economic climate so dodgy.
Sue.