Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Travel Companies

Travel Companies Discussions related to experiences with specific travel companies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-2006, 20:31
Sazzle

Default Portland Holidays - The Daina

Hello Everyone

My parents are staying at the hotel Daina for a fortnight. Last week in March/first week in April. They have today received a letter from Portland to tell them that unfortunately the main road at the back of the Hotel (would this be the Formentor Road?) is now (and will be) closed due to major repairs and roadworks. The letter states that there will be noise and disruption and that Portland will do their best to give them a quiet room. It also says that their coach will have to drop them elsewhere and they will need to walk. As they are both in their 80's this is worrying them a bit. Portland have a 'factfile' on their website but it doesn't really help.

Does anyone know anything? Is it as bad as it sounds? I would hate this to spoil their holiday.

Thanks
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Old 14-03-2006, 21:19

Hi sazzle

We were in PP in Feb and yes it is the Formentor Road that's closed..and yes it is fairly disruptve and noisy, drills and diggers etc.Also It's fairly difficult crossing the road ..rubble ,uneven surface etc.

I would imagine the drop off would be at the taxi roundabout which although isn't far from the Daina would I imagine be a bit of a trek for your parents with luggage etc.

I hope I haven't made you more worried, it could be a lot better by April but I would definitely contact Portland and raise your concerns.

Debs
Old 14-03-2006, 22:10
Snowy

Hi Sazzle

Why not email the hotel direct hdaina-capri@hoposa.es
Old 14-03-2006, 22:58
Founder

You could even telephone direct & insist on a room at the front:

Tel: 0044 971 86 62 50 Fax: 0044 971 86 64 61

They can't be that full at this time of year.
Old 15-03-2006, 01:08
Sazzle

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I think I'll ring and e-mail and see if I can make sure they have a room at the front and I'll just have to hope that someone might help them with their cases when they see them struggle.
Old 15-03-2006, 08:31
sonyaaa

Hi Sazzle
I too would be concerned, good idea talk to hotel direct re room but I would also contact portland and insist that their bags are taken to the hotel and that they are accompanied to the hotel Im sure if you stress you're concerns lay it on thick! that they are elderly etc, they will accomodate, if you don't ask you don't get! I would certainly give it a try. if that fails I'm out the last week March I will gladly help them with their bags!

Sonya
Old 15-03-2006, 23:53
Sazzle

Hi Sonya

Thanks for your message. I've contacted Portland on their behalf and as you said 'laid it on thick'. I'm supposedly going to have a detailed response within 48 hours.

I've checked with the hotel and apparently they are fully booked so there's no chance of Mum and Dad being moved to a quiet room. Anyway, they're both a bit deaf so I suppose the noise wont be so bad after all. Sitting on the balcony, people watching with a bottle of wine sounds out of the question though.

I'm sure the rep will deal with their luggage but thank you very much indeed for your very kind offer to help them. I arrive in pp on 1st April so at least I will be able to help them when they go home.

Regards
Sarah
Old 16-03-2006, 23:38
Debilicious

Default Re: workies !!

does anyone know how long this is likely to continue, will it be fixed by mid may ???? I certainly hope so!!!
Old 19-03-2006, 02:16
JMD40

Firstly, the works will continue until end of April, although hopefully the part infront of the Daina will be finished before that. The roundabout is also a no go area at present so it is likely that the coach will be stopping at the public bus stop and clients will have to walk across to the Chinese on the corner, across to the Eolo and then across to Ice cream parlour and along to Hotel. The other option will be that the coaches/taxis stop up close to the Church and clients walk through the square and straight down to the hotel which is not any further. Thomson Reps are unlikely to be able to help with the cases as to be fair it is not their job to carry clients cases - poor girl, if she did it for one everyone would want their cases carrying and I think you will find that no reps travel on their coaches anymore anyhow. The best people are the reception, but also they can only help if not too busy and obviously if a large coach is bringing clients into the hotel they are going to be busy. Maybe could be worth booking a taxi for your parents arrival (departure will be easier as hotel staff should be able to help) as this will be able to get closer than a coach and the driver will almost certainly help 2 elderly clients. The road works are not too noisy most days just inconvenient. The work involves important replacement of water and wastage pipes. I am sure your parents will have a lovley holiday and it is not Thomson fault after all they are at least advising you in advance - other option would be to swap to another accommodation - - - -
Old 19-03-2006, 04:22
Sazzle

Hello JMD40

Thank you for your detailed response. Perhaps I was foolish to think that the rep would help with luggage. I know it isn't Thomson's fault that the road is closed but I do feel that they have a duty of care to their clients and perhaps they should be liaising with the hotel staff for some help off-loading the coach.

Unfortunately, Portland are not offering or allowing Mum and Dad to change hotels without incurring huge cancellation charges and then of course extra booking fees.

I know they'll have a lovely time regardless. But as I am sure you will all know, people in their 80's worry about the slightest little thing and I just hate to see them feeling anxious. Perhaps I should persuade them to try Bournemouth or Eastbourne in future!!!!
Old 22-03-2006, 18:08
JMD40

It is understandable that you are concerned - believe me there are plenty of us screaming in the ears of the local authorities about the damage it is doing to our reputation and businesses having clients trailing suitcases across a resort is not a good start for anyone!! I am sure that someone, especially any of us, will try to help anyone who we see struggling and the hotel staff are great and will do all they can. May be worth e mailing the hotel reception and telling them clients names and estimated time of arrival and ask that any help would be grateful due to the age of your parents. Let us know how it all went - these things usually run smoothly even when the odds are stacked against us!! Anyhow, the sun is shining, the market is in full flow and any hiccups about getting here will be very soon forgotten I am sure!!
Old 23-03-2006, 16:23
griffo

Just a thought but on most thomson/portland holidays there are no reps on coachs anymore.Thats been the case for 2 or 3 years now.
Old 23-03-2006, 22:48
Roy and Katie

If Portland did not tell your parents about the work before they booked, then they could be held for mis representation. They may argue that they didn't know themselves about the work, but that would be no defence - they should have asked.
At the very least they should allow your parents to cancel with a full refund. To levy a cancellation fee is preposterous.

If if you want to fight this, I would suggest that you join Which? and use their legal service. It is quite reasonable. They specialize in these situations. I think you can do it on-line.

Roy
Old 24-03-2006, 01:25

Today the marina roundabout re-opened, needs a bit of tarmac and work still carrying on on formentor road but at least can get to the Daina side of the road now.
Old 25-03-2006, 02:51
JMD40

Wow, what fighting talk!! The point is that no - one knew that the work would not be finished before the Hotel Daina re-opened - even the Daina themselves so I think you are wrong to say that Portland should have asked (who?? )and it is likely that this holiday was booked many moons ago well before any road works were even commenced. They have done the correct thing in the eyes of the law which is advise clients as soon as they are informed of a situation and the work probably is not so bad as to warrant a full refund, however I think they could have offered a change of accommodation at no extra charge in the circumstances of the elderly clients - no, I do not work for Thomson but I do work in the travel business before you ask !!:eek