Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Travel Companies

Travel Companies Discussions related to experiences with specific travel companies.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By eleanor
  • 1 Post By Rosie34
  • 1 Post By snowy2007
  • 2 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By eleanor
  • 4 Post By Rosie34
  • 2 Post By pollensa
  • 1 Post By favie
  • 1 Post By Rosie34
  • 1 Post By Sparky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 14:04

Default HomeAway

I am wondering if anyone has had a successful booking recently through HomeAway.

I have been looking on HomeAway for an apartment for next year and found some really good ones. However, when I went on to the booking page the price was more than shown for the 2 weeks. It now seems that they are charging renters (in addition to 60 euro Cleaning charge and 300 euro damage deposit) a 105 euro Service Charge.

So I looked around the site to see how easy it would be to get the damage deposit refunded (assuming of course no damage is done!). I couldnt find anything so went to Trust Pilot to see some reviews (I havent booked through HA before). Well, what a shock - there are many many owners up in arms about the service charge and also slating HA for appalling customer service and attitude. I didnt see one good review and I looked at about 3 pages!

So although the apartment is perfect for us I am very wary now of booking through HomeAway and paying through the nose. I have emailed the owner for clarification of the charges - but then I did email a couple more last week but got no response. On Trust Pilot owners were also complaining that they didnt receive emails sent through HA.

It would be really helpful to hear of other forum members' experience - hopefully positive comments, as we really would love to rent this apartment but dont want to end up in a pickle trying unsuccessfully to get a refund of deposit.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2016, 16:25

I feel totally ripped off by Homeaway/Ownersdirect. This is my first year of paying silly money to advertise our property with them. The rules as you describe changed after I paid and signed up but of course no re-dress for us! I have had terrible problems with my villa being placed on maps as far apart as Portugal and Palma! This is after I have marked myself on a map and given the location. Customer service is as good as nil! Press 1 for this 2 for that if if a human does eventually answer they cut you off!! Emails go unanswered.
As for response all I have received are spam bookings. So many fake coming directly to my email address as well as via their site emails. Really really annoyed and disgusted! I have spoken to other owners who have paid good money to advertise and i'm afraid what I have described is similar in experience.
I would suggest that you try to google the apartment you would like to rent as you may well find that like us they advertise elsewhere. Also Facebook have a few groups so you could try asking on one - the owner may even be a member. As for Homeaway/ownersdirect we will not be advertising with them again!!
Rosie34 and Bekki like this.

Last edited by eleanor; 02-07-2016 at 16:29.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:08

Eleanor, your experience is just as described by other owners on Trust Pilot - it really is unbelievable what is going on. I have googled 'private' apartments but it is like a vicious circle- everything comes back to HA - they seem to have bought out other smaller companies and it now seems like a monopoly.

I got a reply from the enquiry re the apartment we really liked, who said that the apartment was booked for our dates (October 2017) although on the HA site they were shown as available. We have never had any problems before but not sure what to do now as I certainly dont trust HA - imagine trying to get the damage deposit refunded when you cant even get to speak to anyone

Thanks for your suggestion - I will try Facebook next.
eleanor likes this.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Eleanor, your experience is just as described by other owners on Trust Pilot - it really is unbelievable what is going on. I have googled 'private' apartments but it is like a vicious circle- everything comes back to HA - they seem to have bought out other smaller companies and it now seems like a monopoly.

I got a reply from the enquiry re the apartment we really liked, who said that the apartment was booked for our dates (October 2017) although on the HA site they were shown as available. We have never had any problems before but not sure what to do now as I certainly dont trust HA - imagine trying to get the damage deposit refunded when you cant even get to speak to anyone

Thanks for your suggestion - I will try Facebook next.
Maybe good idea if Pollensa/Sparky look into this, as this is the site PuertoPollensa.com uses now.

I found an apartment but booked it direct with the owner.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:05

Snowy - that is what we prefer to do as well and do this for our summer break, but at the moment every apartment we like always seems to revert to HA
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26
Super Moderator

Can i suggest that if any members are having issues with Homeaway they send Pollensa a PM explaining their problem, i have nothing to do with the business side of this website, i only moderate the forum so can't help you.
LK1960 and eleanor like this.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Snowy - that is what we prefer to do as well and do this for our summer break, but at the moment every apartment we like always seems to revert to HA
Normally they give email or phone number for owner if not ask for it.

Not sure what or where you are looking for we had a great apt 3 bed 2 bath near public swimming pool super balcony very private afternoon/ evening sun wi-fi very good price. message me if you would like details.
Old 03-07-2016, 13:22

I may be wrong but I think this site works only as an affiliate to Home away and has no connection to the actual running of the site. Like many others it is probably paid for introductions and use of links but I may be wrong.

A very good site is Spain-holiday. Rosie have you looked at Holiday lettings as there are many apartments listed on there?

I think Homeaway will be in for a shock next year as many advertisers will walk away.

I emailed a friend this morning to ask his feedback as I know he has advertised for many years and he too can be added to the list of disgusted!
LK1960 and Rosie34 like this.
Old 03-07-2016, 16:21

Thanks Eleanor - I seem to have lots to go at now- I am sure we will get sorted. This is what this forum is best at - being so helpful
LK1960, El Gordo, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
I may be wrong but I think this site works only as an affiliate to Home away and has no connection to the actual running of the site. Like many others it is probably paid for introductions and use of links but I may be wrong.
Spot on Eleanor!

I am really sorry that you're all having issues with Homeaway but as Eleanor has pointed out I have no connection (or communication) with the company at all. As with many of the companies promoted on the main website, we are provided with "affiliate links and banners" by a third-party called an Affiliate network. We earn a very small amount of commission for enquiries and bookings.

When we decided to stop advertising rentals ourselves, I chose to provide the links to HomeAway as an alternative to the original rentals and because quite a few of the original advertisers also advertised on HomeAway or Owners Direct.
El Gordo and eleanor like this.
Old 04-07-2016, 15:38

Have booked with Homeaway twice, last year and for August this year booking it Nov.'15 before any new charges came into play. Paid the price seen, no cleaning charge, no refundable deposit and thankfully no service charge to Homeaway!
When you inquire now the price quoted is not the same as the price list as Rosie explained...no explanation to why it jumps up..surely they should at least make it clear rather than potential renters thinking it is the advertiser looking for more than their actual price list! Won't use them again unless things change. Oh how I miss booking with PP.com rentals.
Rosie, last year we did pay a refundable damage deposit straight to the lady we rented from and it was paid back directly from her within a few days of us returning home.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 16:12

Yes Favie, I have no problem paying a deposit to the owner - but who knows if HA would ever repay this Reading about their appalling customer service, I have grave concerns that this is just another way they can make some money. I now have some good suggestions from other forum members without having to pay through the nose to HA
favie likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 17:14

I also used to use the Forum Rentals ( very successfully ) so had to start looking elsewhere when the advertising stopped and saw an apartment on Homeaway I wasnt happy with their service as price was changing from pounds to euros and wasnt sure what I was paying and read some bad reviews of the company so found the same aprtment on a local site

Havent used this booking yet as our first visit was to one we had used before so I have my fingers crossed for September Only a smallish deposit was required as that seems to be another confidence trick on some adverts but would love some recommendations of local agents if anyone knows any

I have used Owners Direct with no problems elsewhere and once the first contact was sent all further arrangements were with the owners only but all these companies seem to belong to Homeaway now
Old 04-07-2016, 17:36
Super Moderator

There are a number of local agents listed here :- Rent Villas, Apartments from Agents in Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca .
pollensa likes this.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:17

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I have now booked an apartment in the area we prefer through House Trip, so fingers crossed it will work out ok. (Won't know till after Oct 17)

Last edited by Rosie34; 11-07-2016 at 08:25.