Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Old Syp (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/9940-old-syp.html)

lollipop 06-04-2013 12:18

Old Syp

The old Syp /Eroski supermarket on the main road from Pollenca to the Port has been opened as a Chinese warehouse. Usual items plus extras inc. holiday items. Easy to negotiate the isles. Worth a browse on a wet Saturday.

Sparky 06-04-2013 12:53

Interesting Lollipop, do they sell food stuff as well?, that would make Mr Sparky a very happy man because he loves to cook Chinese ;);).

fil6699 06-04-2013 13:47

Just had a look round sorry no food stuff but lots of other things nice to see the building being used . Well worth a look.

Sparky 06-04-2013 14:02

Thanks Fil ;).

lollipop 06-04-2013 14:23

Fil you beat me to the answer. Yes I thought it was good to see it being used and easier to see things than in the smaller ones where everything is squashed in.

fil6699 06-04-2013 14:45

I agree Lollipop and so many handy things I am a bit of a fan :) :)

rioja 06-04-2013 17:19

Good the building's being used but won't be visiting, you get what you pay for

Smiddy 07-04-2013 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioja (Post 82006)

Could be true! But, one thing guaranteed with the Chinese supermarkets "what you need , you'll get".

Mark 07-04-2013 11:03

I am guessing they got a good deal on the tax or whatever with being Chinese, it must hurt for locals that run businesses when other countries residents get favourable tax breaks.

It's good that it is in use though as it was sad to see it empty for so many years.

Might go for a wander around in May.

I have fond memories of the Old Syp from our very first Pollensa holiday :)

fil6699 07-04-2013 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioja (Post 82006)

That may be the case but for those who live here or spend a great deal of time here they usually always have what you need and many times no other place in the port has it. They are always helpful work hard and offer great value and variety.:):):)

rioja 07-04-2013 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 82039)
That may be the case but for those who live here or spend a great deal of time here they usually always have what you need and many times no other place in the port has it. They are always helpful work hard and offer great value and variety.:):):)

i do live here, as I said, you get what you pay for and of coursr the Chines will sell you anything:)

Sparky 07-04-2013 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 82038)
I am guessing they got a good deal on the tax or whatever with being Chinese, it must hurt for locals that run businesses when other countries residents get favourable tax breaks.

This came up a while ago and it seems that they don't get any different treatment than the European business people from the Spanish government, this was the reply Andrew posted about this :-

Quote:

The thing about Chinese businesses not paying taxes has been doing the rounds for years. As far as I am aware, it is an urban myth. The Hacienda has frequently gone on record in denying that there is such an arrangement. What does exist is a similar arrangement for European citizens, namely a double taxation system, one that was introduced between China and Spain in the early 1990s. The Chinese government offers, or has offered in the past, special incentives to its citizens to establish businesses overseas. Make of that what you will.

Tonsyl 08-04-2013 07:48

I know nothing about the tax situation of the Chinese business community but I would defend some of their products and give an example. My hobby is radio and a month or two back wanted to source a part in the UK and couldn't. I found a "what I thought" similar part in China and sent for it, at a cost of 30% the UK part price, with free P & P. The part was sent from China by UPS I think and arrived a week later. Upon inspection it seemed the same part as the origonal and it worked just the same. Upon looking, I found that the part is indeed the self and same as the original but instead of going through layers of middle men, all loading their profit, I had stumbled across the manufacturer and bought at factory price.

lollipop 08-04-2013 09:15

An awful lot of products are made in China which ever store you buy them from, these shops do give you a better price, and I agree with Sparky they work hard.

Sparky 08-04-2013 09:39

Yes and cheap doesn't always mean poor quality ;);).