Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 22:53

Default Best family supermarket?

Hello there

We arrive Saturday midday and will be staying in CSV. Me, hub and the kids aged 5 and 3. We will probably self cater most evenings as kitchen is good and looks well equipped, and only inflict the kids on locals at lunch time.

Have read through the posts on here re Eroski and Lidl etc and pretty sure could find them in PP (we have hire car) but unsure which one is "best"? Kids eat a lot of fresh fruit, hub likes his veg and local vino. Will want good bread and decent meat. Nothing fancy, just nice and fresh.

Will probably do small shop in CSV Sat pm, then head out to do bigger shop Sunday (will they be open?) or Monday if not.

Also what are the chances of getting baked beans, as this is 3 year olds staple food!

Thanks for your help and great forum, been a big help with planning / choosing.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22

You will find a Euroski easily if you drive out of CSV to the main Pollensa to PP road, turn right towards Pollensa and you will see it on your left side after approx 1 km.

Sorry can't help with baked beans , but I have always found them to be well stoked, particularly with fresh fruit and veg.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36

You can get baked beans both Heinz and I think Lidl do own brand.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:55
Super Moderator

Baked beans are available just about everywhere although they are more expensive than in the UK, between 90cents and 1€ a can on average.
Old 04-10-2012, 21:53

Yes Sparky, baked beans readily available in PP and you (along with hubby) should know as very keen supermarket shoppers. Hiper Centro is another favourite with many.
Just about everything available in the Balearic (and most European) supermarkets, we are in the 21st century afterall.
Old 04-10-2012, 23:42

you could stop at al campo on the way, ( the 'short cut' from airport goes right by it) esp if you have to wait to get access to your accom
I think you could buy just about anything there
Old 05-10-2012, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg View Post
you could stop at al campo on the way, ( the 'short cut' from airport goes right by it) esp if you have to wait to get access to your accom
Passed Al Campo many times whilst to'ing and fro'ing - or should that be fro'ing and to'ing - the airport. (You come from the airport when you arrive and go to the airport when you leave, if you see what I mean)
I was never sure whether visiting a large supermarket was a sensible use of holiday time, but I had to take some family back to the airport during our last holiday, so having a spare minute or two as I returned to PP, I decided to have a look.
It's enormous! Think claustrophobic Ikea on steroids x 2 As smg says almost everything is there including a free headache and dizzy spells!!
lollipop likes this.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
Passed Al Campo many times.
It's enormous! Think claustrophobic Ikea on steroids x 2 As smg says almost everything is there including a free headache and dizzy spells!!
I suffer exactly the same effects when shopping in Al Campo, think its the lights, went once and lights weren't on and felt much better. It doesn't seem to effect everyone but some people must be more susceptible to a certain type of lighting. I also suffer the same effects in Eroski. It's heartening to know that other people have experienced the same symptoms.

Perhaps we should start a new thread to see if others also suffer the effects of supermarket lighting.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg View Post
You could but dont leave a tourist hire car unattended in a huge car park with all you luggage in it when you have just left the airport, just asking for a bad start to the holiday, leave someone sat in the car as a deterrent.
Sparky, Lorenzo and Nick like this.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep!! i went there once just after we came here to live and felt the same but i have the same feeling in any shop...............i guess i must just be allergic to shopping , it's a good job that it's one of hubby's favourite pastimes .
Mogs likes this.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32

Quote:
As smg says almost everything is there including a free headache and dizzy spells!!
It certainly has an effect as my wife hates it, I love it and could spend hours there

So much fresh food and affordable wine and so little time to eat and drink the trolley full in a weeks holiday...

In the wine aisle I always watch to see what the locals are loading their trolleys with, if a local has half a trolley of something low price that I have never heard of I always buy some to try .

I guess some of the restaurant ' house' wines are from there as I have seen full trolleys of the same reasonably priced wine pushed towards the checkout by swarve looking Mallorcan's.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42

Hi, we have 3 Kids, 11,9,5 and eat in more than we eat out,started to find Eroski and the local supermarkets more and more expensive, so we have starting going to Al Campo, at then end of the day its ony a 30 min drive and as everyone has said its an massive place. Kids even seem to enjoy it (to an extent!!) as they look out for the Roller skating staff and as you go through the checkout there is a large sweet shop that sells 'slushies' you get three different colours and it includes a large plastc cup and curley straw and have been assured this is 'sick!'. The choice is great, however agree, that I would never leave the car full of luggage. We always head to the villa, get unpacked, get a few things locally for a day or two just to get settled.

Can also combine this with a trip to PALMA, (My wife seesm to think my enjoyment of driving in aforeign city is a bit odd). We sometimes call on the way back with the promise of a 'slushie' - seems to work.

But alcampo and the shopping centre itself is worth a look and found the prices considerably cheaper than locally. Think even compensates for the petrol and drinks!!
Old 05-10-2012, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
.i guess i must just be allergic to shopping , .
Sparky, next time we are across, remind me to ask you to stand close to Mrs Clinkham for a while, and see if we can infect her with your 'allergic to shopping bug'
its cd and Sparky like this.
Old 05-10-2012, 23:16

Al Campo sounds ghastly. Why would anyone want to spend even 10 minutes of their precious holiday trailing around a giant supermarket, I do enough of that at home!

We tend to eat out most evenings so the small Eroski in the port suits us fine for essentials such as bread, wine, fruit, wine, stuff for lunch, wine, cereal, wine, milk, water etc. Their own brand stuff is fine and so long as you pick the right time to go, doesn't take very long to whizz round.

Just avoid Spar shops!
Lorenzo and phil like this.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:32

Default Best family supermarket

Yes agree that the small Eroski is fine for most day to day items of grocery shopping. We also use the Voramar supermarket for topping up too.

We've also started using the Hipercentro supermarket - bread, for example, is much cheaper there and they have a great fresh fruit & veg selection as well as a large fresh meat & cheese counter. It seems to be favoured by the locals so that must mean something.
debz1, LK1960, Sparky and 2 others like this.