Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Jonsey
  • 7 Post By Hector

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 14:57

Default Check them bills!

Every weekend for the next few months waves of holidaymakers will be arriving in PP and the old town. As the holiday season gets under way the supermarkets are packed. People staying in self catering villas try and beat the crowds by going to the Eroski’s of this world almost as soon as they arrive. Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings are usually bedlam. Trolleys full to the brim with wine and lagers, meat & fish, fruit and veg….you name it, it’s all there in the trolley! “Any room for another 12 pack of San Miguel”?!
You start queuing . Outside, the sun’s shining, and you can feel the temperature rising. You’re on holiday! You don’t want to be stuck in a supermarket! You get to the front of the queue, and immediately you’re stuffing all your goods into the poly bags provided. Why? Because the cashiers are scanning the items at a 100mph, and you don’t want to annoy fellow holiday makers by “going slow”. It’s time to pay. The cashier says “something” Euros, you hand over your card, show her some ID, sign a piece of paper….and you’re away! On holiday!
But wait. Check your bill before you leave. Twice in the last 3 years I’ve been overcharged at the large Eroski in PP by a substantial amount. The first “food/drink” shop is always the biggest and most expensive of the holiday. Also, because the currency is different to the UK it’s very easy to accept the figure that the cashier asks. I’m sure this was just bad luck, but it does pay to check your bill.
Happy shopping & enjoy your hols!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3739973...7594506753547/
LK1960, Tone, Rosie34 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-06-2012, 16:10

I'm sure mistakes happen, items can go through the bar code reader twice. it happens in the UK too. If it is deliberate I can't work out what advantage there would be for the cashier - how could they get their hands on the money that the overcharged customer had paid? I could understand it if they were the shop owner but otherwise I'd put it down to error.

It works the other way as well. A friend of mine bought a 12 pack of lager at Eroski and when he got out of the shop he found he had only been charged for one can. Of course he rushed back into the shop to rectify the error....
Sparky, Tone, RobnAnna and 4 others like this.
Old 16-06-2012, 16:57

Hi,
going off topic a bit here , SORRY , but I took a peek at your flickr photostream , just fabulous, especially the one with the line of gentlemen sitting outside a cafe . I absolutely loved it, where was this taken ?

Regards Jat.
Old 17-06-2012, 15:28

Hi Jat
I realise it has nothing to do with shopping (!), but glad you liked the pics. The shot of the men is taken in the old town, outside the Club Pollenca. This is where the "old boys" of the town congregate every day, just watching the world go by!