Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Gas or charcoal?? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/8446-gas-charcoal.html)

blue1970 18-02-2012 18:44

Gas or charcoal??

Off back to PP in July and staying in an apatment on the Pinewalk:D
To keep the costs down we want to BBQ quite a lot this year. We have 2 camping bbq's, a folding charcoal barbie and a cadac gas one. Would prefer to take the cadac but not sure how easy or expensive it is to hire/buy a gas bottle. Any advice on where to buy charcoal, where to hire protane or butane gas bottles and prices would be greatly received.
Also any advice on where to get the best meat and seafood for the barbie would also be welcome.
I reckon with 5 months worth of advice we'll be BBQing Michelin star stylie:D
Thanks in advance.

Sparky 18-02-2012 19:19

As i understand it, to obtain a gas bottle you have to get a contract from the distributer (Repsol Butano) which involves an inspection of the aparatus, you can't just go and buy one. Now i am not sure of the cost but think it's about 30€ and then it's 15€ for a refill, the hardware shop behind the filling station does refills but i don't know about buying the bottle, for that you may have to go to Alcudia.
It might be easier for you to use charcoal and you can buy that in the hardware shops but i have no idea how much it costs.

We buy most of our meat locally from HyperCentro and it's always good.

eleanor 18-02-2012 20:39

Hello, As Sparky says you can refill in the hardware shop behind the filling station and you can also buy there but last time we bought the cost was 32 Euros. Sparky is correct that to refill is approx 15 Euros. Rebecca who works there is English and a lovely helpful person. I wonder if it is actually worth it to be honest. To buy charcoal is probably cheaper I would think but i'm not an expert.

We tend to buy our fish (non meat eaters!) in Mecandona in Alcudia where we find it to be very reasonably priced and a great selection.

I'm sure others will be able to help too.

Rosie34 19-02-2012 08:33

We make a trip to Carrefour in Palma for chicken to bbq and to Al Campo for pork and steaks - take them back and freeze them:) Also its interesting visiting these massive hypermarkets on a 'not so good weather day';) The best place used to be the old Syp - they had a really excellent meat counter - rather scary large lady with a a meat cleaver serving, but she was quite harmless:D

jamesfshaw 19-02-2012 08:53

Bbq

There are a number of fish retailers. However we found the HIPER CENTRO in Vicente Buades Street the best.

Answering your questions depends on whether you have a car or not.
Without a car you probably are forced to use charcoal which can be bought at the super markets. However your use of this may be offensive if the smoke drifts over neighbours.

You can pay for a gas cylinder and later return it for repayment. But this can be a time waster if you are only in the port for a short holiday. You also need a car to carry it around. There is also the question of the type of connection which you need to ensure is the right one for you.

It sounds as if you are going to be limited to charcoal.

Sparky 19-02-2012 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesfshaw (Post 68351)
There are a number of fish retailers. However we found the HIPER CENTRO in Vicente Buades Street the best.

Answering your questions depends on whether you have a car or not.
Without a car you probably are forced to use charcoal which can be bought at the super markets. However your use of this may be offensive if the smoke drifts over neighbours.

You can pay for a gas cylinder and later return it for repayment. But this can be a time waster if you are only in the port for a short holiday. You also need a car to carry it around. There is also the question of the type of connection which you need to ensure is the right one for you.

It sounds as if you are going to be limited to charcoal.

James has made a good point here and it might be worth checking that having a BBQ is permitted at your accomodation :eek:;).

lollipop 19-02-2012 13:07

THe British Food Shop sells the throw away BBQ trays which is another option,and you can buy a cheap BBQ for charcoal at the ferreteria or Al Campo type stores.

pescador2009 19-02-2012 20:54

I would guess that you will be able to get all your needs (apart from Gas Bottle) in one go at 'Eroski', Puerto Pollensa's largest 'Supermercado' - immediately on the left as you enter Puerto Pollensa from Palma, on the main road in from Pollensa town.
It has a good choice of most foods including fresh meat and fish / wines, beers / other domestic items - (no, I don't have shares in Eroski!)
There are quite a few smaller supermarkets scattered around PP so plenty of places to shop.

blue1970 20-02-2012 23:11

Thanks for all the advice. Already spoke to the owner and he doesnt have any problems with us using a barbie.Its quite a large balcony with no one above us, so no worries there. We're over for 10 days so a 6/7kg bottle would be ideal.The larger 12/13kg would be to much and not cost effective. And do our regulators fit Spanish bottles???
Charcoal obviously the cheaper option,but dont fancy the mess or hassle.
May be more hassle than its worth.....thanks again

Sparky 20-02-2012 23:36

Blue i have only ever seen the 12.5kg bottles here but that is not to say the smaller ones aren't available, also it was many years ago since i used bottled gas in the UK but i am sure the regulator was different.

fil6699 21-02-2012 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue1970 (Post 68420)
Thanks for all the advice. Already spoke to the owner and he doesnt have any problems with us using a barbie.Its quite a large balcony with no one above us, so no worries there. We're over for 10 days so a 6/7kg bottle would be ideal.The larger 12/13kg would be to much and not cost effective. And do our regulators fit Spanish bottles???
Charcoal obviously the cheaper option,but dont fancy the mess or hassle.
May be more hassle than its worth.....thanks again

Hi Blue The regulators are different. and you can only get the 12/13 kilo bottles.
You can buy a regulator and they are not to expensive. and attach it to the current gas pipe for your BBQ.
If you let me know when you are out in July. If I am around I can let you borrow a gas bottle so you can use your BBQ. I have a couple that I keep for spares so its not a problem. I know how hard it is for a man to be separated from his BBQ :)

clinkham 21-02-2012 13:12

Hi Blue,
If f I understand correctly, you are bringing your BBQ out from the UK for a 10/12 day stay?
a)You may be better flying via Jet2 rather than Ryanair (22kgs v 15kgs luggage)
b) Cancel current accommodation booking and rebook an apartment with a BBQ included: a very common accessory with the apartments we have used over the years.
c) Buy a cheap-o BBQ from Eroski and leave it in the apartment for the next visitors.
d) Check medical travel insurance for cover for gas explosions/carbon monoxide poisoning
e) Do visit a selection of the super restaurants in PP whilst you are over. Something for all pockets and tastes make eating out a highlight of our holiday.
f) Prior to arrival ensure the cook is competent to cook on a BBQ. Our cook is full of enthusiasm - but sometimes I think we would have been better slipping out to Coral, Tango, El Posito ........etc etc and investing a few Euros in something edible

anne10aber 21-02-2012 15:42

I would also check that the airline will carry the BBQ. They dont carry the pertol/dual fuel ones even when the liquid container is empty as it is still a risk.

Nick 21-02-2012 17:42

I totally agree with the above post and in my humble opinion, and surely I'm not alone in this, but why on earth would you want to take a gas barbecue on holiday with you ?!

Any trace of anything flammable etc. and you'll be in BIG trouble with the airline. Madness.

I read last year that an Eastern European was arrested for having bleach in his check-in suitcase.

If you really want to barbecue then use charcoal. Bit of mess and hassle but all part and parcel of a holiday and as far as time consumption goes, well, you're on holiday !!

My advice: as someone's mentioned, go to the British shop and get a disposable ready made charcoal barby, job done !!!

pollensa 21-02-2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah (Post 68439)
go to the British shop and get a disposable ready made charcoal barby, job done !!!

or if you really want a large BBQ, contact Multi-Hire next to the BFS & see if they have them...

fil6699 21-02-2012 22:23

Me wonders if Blue is now wishing he never asked the question :) Blue I get why you wanted your BBQ and wanted to spend evenings on your patio on the Pine walk relaxing, and cooking and taking in the atmosphere My offer still stand I will lend you a Gas bottle if you need one and help you get hooked up.

blue1970 22-02-2012 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 68454)
Me wonders if Blue is now wishing he never asked the question :) Blue I get why you wanted your BBQ and wanted to spend evenings on your patio on the Pine walk relaxing, and cooking and taking in the atmosphere My offer still stand I will lend you a Gas bottle if you need one and help you get hooked up.

Wow,what a great offer. Thanyou very much, and i just may take you up on it:) We're there from the 19th for 10 days. You certainly get where i'm coming from.This is the first time we've had an apartment actually on the Pinewalk,just metres from the beach (usually stay in pinaret) so want to make the most of it.
The bbq folds up neatly into its own holdall,nothing flamable.We use it for camping.Its a great bit of kit,even has its own paella pan:)
As far as eating out goes,we love it, and we've done all the forum favourites and more(stay prob being our no.1) But on our last 14 day hol the spending got a bit out of hand,and with the extra expense for the apt, we/they deciced I....Thats ME needed reeling in slightly this time:confused: But i refuse to cook, couped up in an apt kitchenette-Hence the idea to take the BBQ. We did try to book one with(im northern but not thick:D)but they were either not enough rooms or wrong location.
Anyway Thanks again for all help and advice, it's vey much appreciated.
PS. We will still have the odd meal or 6 out;)

fil6699 22-02-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue1970 (Post 68463)
Wow,what a great offer. Thanyou very much, and i just may take you up on it:) We're there from the 19th for 10 days. You certainly get where i'm coming from.This is the first time we've had an apartment actually on the Pinewalk,just metres from the beach (usually stay in pinaret) so want to make the most of it.
The bbq folds up neatly into its own holdall,nothing flamable.We use it for camping.Its a great bit of kit,even has its own paella pan:)
As far as eating out goes,we love it, and we've done all the forum favourites and more(stay prob being our no.1) But on our last 14 day hol the spending got a bit out of hand,and with the extra expense for the apt, we/they deciced I....Thats ME needed reeling in slightly this time:confused: But i refuse to cook, couped up in an apt kitchenette-Hence the idea to take the BBQ. We did try to book one with(im northern but not thick:D)but they were either not enough rooms or wrong location.
Anyway Thanks again for all help and advice, it's vey much appreciated.
PS. We will still have the odd meal or 6 out;)

Blue I will be out then so no problem I will fix you up with a gas bottle for the time you are out and you can enjoy your BBQ just PM me closer to the time and I will let you have my contact number so we can arrange everything. I totally get were you are coming from and you will love spending evenings on the patio cooking on the BBQ and making the best of the Pine walk. So relaxing :)

blue1970 22-02-2012 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 68465)
Blue I will be out then so no problem I will fix you up with a gas bottle for the time you are out and you can enjoy your BBQ just PM me closer to the time and I will let you have my contact number so we can arrange everything. I totally get were you are coming from and you will love spending evenings on the patio cooking on the BBQ and making the best of the Pine walk. So relaxing :)

:) Thats brilliant. And so very kind of you...Thankyou. Can't wait now.:D

blue1970 21-07-2012 08:17

Just cooking breakfast on my BBQ, on my terrace, looking at the sea :D No probs at the airport.. Just checked it in through baggage inspection.
Phill got me hooked up with a gas bottle and took me to get a regulator...... Top man... Happy days :D

blue1970 21-07-2012 08:37

PS. This forum is brilliant.

cherylbb 21-07-2012 11:25

Great, well done Phil & Happy Holidays blue. :D