Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Alcampo (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/7986-alcampo.html)

alcanadakid 10-09-2011 11:48

Alcampo

We regularly shop at Alcampo, but the last time the assistant wouldn't accept our UK photocard driving licence to back up our La Caixa card. We were on the way from the airport so fortunately we had our passports with us.

Not sure whether it was just the assistant or whether there is a change of policy. It will be a real pain if we have to take our passports every time.

Anyone had a similar experience?

pollensa 10-09-2011 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcanadakid (Post 64246)
We regularly shop at Alcampo, but the last time the assistant wouldn't accept our UK photocard driving licence to back up our La Caixa card. We were on the way from the airport so fortunately we had our passports with us.

Not sure whether it was just the assistant or whether there is a change of policy. It will be a real pain if we have to take our passports every time.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I've always used my passport in Carrefour & Alcampo as we normally visit en route from the airport.

eleanor 10-09-2011 15:55

My son has recently returned home and he too was asked for his passport.
He supplied his driving licence plus various other means of ID including his work ID but they insisted on a passport. Thankfully he did have it with him but what a pain to carry around especially with the added risk of loosing it!

Ali 10-09-2011 23:02

why do you need your passport in the shop?

Sparky 10-09-2011 23:42

It's required for proof of identity if you are paying by card.:)

Ali 10-09-2011 23:59

Ah is that standard for all shops?

cumberland8 11-09-2011 19:44

Not yet but in time it will probably be a requirement, the reason is that there are so many fraudulent transactions with cards it accounts for almost 1per cent of charges to you the consumer.

Ali 11-09-2011 20:20

well its good to know would hate to go out for the day leave passport in hotel and not be able to eat/drink/shop thanks for this forum :D

its cd 11-09-2011 23:02

My experiendce is that it is the large supermarkets
( there again you tend not to use a card in smaller ones do you ) ....... have never been asked for passport in a restaurant

Sparky 11-09-2011 23:30

Yes it is mainly the supermarkets and some shops for large purchases, never been asked for it in a restaurant though. :)

Smiddy 12-09-2011 10:59

Can't for the life of me understand why they will not except a UK photographic licence (not the old paper ones) it has all your details and your photograph and is a official document. If you lose it it's no big deal, but if you lose a passport...................

lollipop 12-09-2011 14:44

This must be fairly new as I used to use my uk driving licence. I now use my spanish one.

smg 12-09-2011 20:14

Over the years I've learnt to take my passport when doing a big shop at Alcampo, Eroski, Decathlon, etc, but it is a pain

my local Tescos & Sainburys don't ask foreigners for their passports when paying by cards, and we do get a lot of visitors

does this say something about "Brits abroad" ?

El Gordo 12-09-2011 20:24

In July I was surprised at being told I didn't need to show my passport in Leroy Merlin as it was a chip n Pin Card. I thought yes they are moving into the real world!!:)

Quote:

wouldn't accept our UK photo card driving licence to back up our La Caixa card. We were on the way from the airport so fortunately we had our passports with us.
This seams a step back IMO.:confused:

Also I do think it wise to have your Passport with you especially when out in the car as well as all the other documentation the Police might ask for!!

Is it not a requirement that foreigners have to have their identity papers with them at all times? ;)

sws97sdg 12-09-2011 21:13

Do the locals not have to flash their photo ID when paying by credit card as well, I am sure I have seen them being asked to in Eroski