Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48

Default What you cant get here

I forgot my hair conditioner last time so bought an Eroski own make (250ml) for less than 80c and its excellent and just as good as the more expensive brand names. This made me think about things we get there and miss when we get back. Like La Vieja Fabbrica marmalade - especially the tangy lemon flavour; the frozen calamares - big and juicy (not like the puny specimens you get here - if you can find them!). OH always gets some aftershave balm in Eroskis as well, thats if we dont go to Carefour for the Toja brand.

Just wondered what other people miss (shopping-wise) when they get back.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07

This is going to sound very strange I know, but we always bring back about 3 packs of their scented bin liners! I love them, and just cant find any of the quality back home.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28

I don't personally miss them that much but my daughters love those little savoury biscuits that look a bit like dog biscuits - Inca biscuits, are they called? And they also love an Eroski own-brand cereal called (I think) Baggis - little square cereal pockets filled with condensed milk (very healthy I know, and there is no way they would be allowed to have it back home, but hey, they are on holiday...)

What I do personally miss is sobrasada, which you can really only find here in big cities. It is an acquired taste/texture - my husband won't go near it - but I am addicted to it. I love the artisan-type crisps cooked in olive oil too.

I also like the fact that a lot of toiletries come in really big sizes so you don't run out so quickly. I got an enormous 1kg jar of scented bath salts in Auchan for the same price as I'd pay for a box less than half the size in the UK. I was a bit worried that it would take me over the baggage allowance though...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35

Love the Mimosin (Sp?) fabric conditioner and the blue tie bin bags that fit just perfectly. I find most of the spanish cleaning products have a better perfume than ours.

Oh! and Eroskis own chocolate ice cream is tooooo good. Just wish I could find the perfect dark chocolate digestive biscuits though.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 04-11-2010 at 10:40.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37

The packets of honey covered nuts! Always bring back a pack from the airport for my mum & dad.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39

My daughter always misses the little bottles of chocolate milk - Lacao and a friend of hers always buys a box of Golden Grahams cerial when she is there because you cannot get them in the UK anymore.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44

This thread has really got me going - GG, you are so right about Laccao - I have tried suggesting to my daughters that chocolate milk is also readily available in the UK but they just will not believe it is the same.

Another thing I wish you could buy here is Heno de Pravia soap - I think it's about the cheapest you can buy in Mallorca but there's something about the fresh scent of it - every time I smell it I get that holiday feeling. Unlike British soap it doesn't seem to lose its scent over time - I'm ashamed to say I have a couple of bars that I keep in the villa and bag up for re-use every time we go over - they must be a couple of years old now but they are still going strong!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08

Eroski's own brand of face cleaning wipes are brilliant...no perfume, alcohol free and really cheap.

Nenuco the baby cologne that my daughter age 28 still wears when she's in PP!! This year in Eroski I found an air freshener ( Airwick) and fabric conditioner fragranced with Nenuco. I'm in heaven

La Lechera. Kate, this is about as healthy as the breakfast cereal as its condensed milk in a tube! The kids used to love it squeezed over ensaimadas for breakfast and I have been known to go to the fridge for a sneaky spoonful

La Mumba's. Laccao and brandy...yummy
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
Love the Mimosin (Sp?) fabric conditioner and the blue tie bin bags that fit just perfectly. I find most of the spanish cleaning products have a better perfume than ours.

Oh! and Eroskis own chocolate ice cream is tooooo good. Just wish I could find the perfect dark chocolate digestive biscuits though.
That reminds me - Eroskis Straccietella ice cream - to die for!
Old 04-11-2010, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
I forgot my hair conditioner last time so bought an Eroski own make (250ml) for less than 80c and its excellent and just as good as the more expensive brand names. This made me think about things we get there and miss when we get back. Like La Vieja Fabbrica marmalade - especially the tangy lemon flavour; the frozen calamares - big and juicy (not like the puny specimens you get here - if you can find them!). OH always gets some aftershave balm in Eroskis as well, thats if we dont go to Carefour for the Toja brand.

Just wondered what other people miss (shopping-wise) when they get back.

Yes, Eroski hair conditioner is really good - seems to really make your hair shine like no other product at home.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:33

It sounds like you folks miss more about being here thean we perhaps miss from the UK.
Old 04-11-2010, 15:33
Banned

What you cant get here

Sun !!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 17:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
It sounds like you folks miss more about being here thean we perhaps miss from the UK.
You took the words right out of my mouth lollipop .
Old 04-11-2010, 18:22

Sparky, I can see a business opportunity, you could send parcels of everyones favorite items back to them, like the British shop in reverse

On island time!!
Old 04-11-2010, 19:27
Super Moderator

LOL!!! I could call it PPP.com .