Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 22:53

Default Supermarkets

Reading with interset in where to shop where is the mercadona supermarket?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Reading with interset in where to shop where is the mercadona supermarket?
There is one in Alcudia, and one in Ca'n Picafort.

To get to the one in Alcudia, from PP drive to Alcudia along the road with the coast on your left, On reaching the first roundabout in Alcudia, turn left, follow the road around and you will see the town walls on your left. At the first traffic lights go straight on and at the next set turn right. Mercadona is about 200 m down that road on your left. There is an underground carpark in which the spaces tend to be very tight. We have always found the best time to visit is during the siesta (1-4pm) and then it is not so crowded and the car park is easier. The Spanish do their big shop on Fridays from 4pm onwards and so that is a time to avoid if you can. At the car park you get a ticket on entry which you need to give to the cashier when you pay for your shopping, The receipt has a bar code which you use to exit the car park.
Old 06-11-2009, 19:53

Just returned after years of shopping quite happily at Hiper/ Syp / Caprabo and then laterly at Eroski

Thought we'd seen an increase in prices over the course of last year and so this time drove to the Mercadona in Alcudia

All I can say is that the prices there blew away the myth that Majorca was really expensive for food

Milk around 80euros a litre and it was bought on Monday and still fine this morning

A bag of around 26 beautiful oranges ...... just over 3 euros

A massive sliced loaf for making toast ......... did 6 of us all week and kept fresh ..... 95cents

3 fantastic large baguettes 1.20 euros for the bag of 3

4 circles of lovelly pate for a couple of euros

A large piece of brie for just over a euro

Plum type tomatoes and 80cents for a bag full

Nice fruit and fibre type cereal for less than a couple of euros ...... wheetabix was more but thats Mr Cd's fault for insisting he has the real thing !

And it took us no more than 15mins to drive there and was pretty easy to find once we had the basic insructions ....... car park free as well and clever system where your till receipt gets a bar code printed on it that you scan to get out of the underground car park

No long queues ( there again it was November )

Only down side was that despite there being a fresh Fish counter I didn't see a deli counter for cheese and ham so ended up buying pre packed ......... but it was fine and reasonably priced

Whe we left , it felt like it used to feel ....... cheaper than at home ........ I have to confess I really dont have a clue what I pay for individual items when I go to Tesco or Sainsbury's but I do have a feel for what the whole trolly costs and this felt cheaper
Old 06-11-2009, 20:16

Yes, I agree cd. Water and wine is much cheaper too. There have been many posts complaining about the costs in the Port and I would suggest to those who have transport to give Mercadona a try. I'm not sure if it would work out cheaper if a taxi was to be used. I suppose it would depend on the shop load. We always shop at Mercadona and have found their prices much much cheaper than in the Port. It is so easy to just do a large shop at the beginning of a stay then just top up locally as and when needed. I agree that some items are cheaper than at home but obviously the 'named' brands will be more expensive. I have always found Friday and Saturday quite busy so tend to try to dodge those days if I can. It certainly seems to be the place the locals shop - thats great for me - 'when in Rome............... '
Old 08-11-2009, 16:27

CD.

We shop only at Mercadona and Alcampo. If you haven't tried it, then Alcampo is worth a visit. It is very large and is similar pricing to Mercadona, although I think Mercadona has the edge on price but Alcampo has much more variety, espcially on fruit and veg. Although it is on the outskirts of Palma on the main road to PP, it is 30 minutes from PP and worth the trip. They stock virtually everything from large electricals to grocery. Both are much cheaper than Euroski. It is a bit like Tesco Extra. They have a clever system for packing the bags, and assistants on roller skates.

Last edited by alcanadakid; 08-11-2009 at 16:30. Reason: more info
Old 09-11-2009, 18:06

A friend of ours who lives and works in the Port uses the Hiper supermarket rather than Eroski. Not sure there's a lot of difference on price but they certainly have a much better selection, a better meat counter etc. We much prefer it.

We've also found the small Bip supermarket in the old town to be surprisingly well stocked - it's like the Tardis. They stock a few household items such as wine glasses at very cheap prices - good if you are replenishing a villa/apartment at the beginning of the season. It's located next to Piccolo Forno.

I agree that Alcampo is great and well worth a trip. The fish counter is wonderful and they have a great bakery section - and a vast choice of wine.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post

I agree that Alcampo is great and well worth a trip. The fish counter is wonderful and they have a great bakery section - and a vast choice of wine.
I love the diversity of this store, everything under one roof and with Leroy Merlins right next door if you need anything DIY. Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to get to by public transport, even from Palma.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to get to by public transport, even from Palma.
If you want a big supermarket suggest you look around Carrefour by the airport which is on the bus routes - I'm sure it is larger than Alcampo. First roundabout when you leave the airport - unfortnately doesn't have likes of Leroy Merlin, Decathalon etc as its stand alone. Also has a loyalty card scheme - like Nectar/Tesco. Under canopy car parking handy in the summer.
Old 10-11-2009, 15:20

Do they also sell household goods - towels and kitchen equipment etc - like Alcampo? We have had real problems getting good quality bath towels at affordable prices in Mallorca - we need to buy these regularly as our villa is let out.
Old 10-11-2009, 15:50

Quote:
Do they also sell household goods - towels and kitchen equipment etc - like Alcampo? We have had real problems getting good quality bath towels at affordable prices in Mallorca - we need to buy these regularly as our villa is let out.
Yes they have all that sort of stuff however I cannot vouch for the quality as never really looked. Carrefour is only about 5 minutes from the airport so not really out of your way to have a look and at least compare prices for a later stop off. We got most of our towels/kitchen goods etc from Ikea - never had a problem with their quality if you go for the 'better' ranges. Have to say I thought Makro was substandard quality.
Old 10-11-2009, 17:07

I just love the fact that on the end of the cheese counter there will be a cement mixer for sale I do miss Caprabo though...
Old 10-11-2009, 17:50

Quote:
You can get good quality towels at Corte Ingles. They have a section where you can get almost any colour and any size.
Old 13-06-2010, 14:31

We are staying close to the Vall de la Colonya, south of Pollenca towards the hills, which is the nearest large (decent) supermarket?
Thanks
Old 14-06-2010, 10:09

The nearest will be the far side of Pollenca, the Eroski, on the industrial estate on the right , on the way to the port.

Although not as good as Mercadonor in Alcudia or Lidl in Inca. There have been threads about this in the past. Use the search to find them.

My FlickR Photos