Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Buying baby stuff (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/5898-buying-baby-stuff.html)

gilliand 21-04-2010 21:41

Buying baby stuff

Hi
I am coming out to PP on the 1st May (hopefully no more ash cloud, please!).....I have 2 little ones, the youngest 13 months so as you can imagine we have a lot of stuff to take with us. Should I buy wipes, nappies, swim nappies when I arrive or I am best bringing some with me. How do they compare price wise to buying them at home? Thank you...

mike_dublin 22-04-2010 08:32

baby stuff

We were in PP last September with 18 month old.

No problem getting wipes, nappies and swim nappies in PP. I'd bring small supply for the first day or two.

We found the Schlecker market in PP very good value for nappies and other baby bits, but you can also get them in the other local supermarkets (Eroski / Hiper).
Most pharmacies also stock branded nappies (in smaller packets) but are dearer.

Compared to Ireland the prices were a little cheaper in PP in Schlecker or the supermarkets.

Have a great trip.

P.S.
Can also highly recommend the Salvation Army charity shop for kids/beach toys as well as the Multihire shop (see ad in market place) if you need to hire high chair/travel cot.

mike_dublin 22-04-2010 09:02

Müller market

If you happen to have a rental car while you're out in PP there is also a shop of the German "Müller" markets in Alcudia which generally are good value for nappies, baby stuff and toiletries.

I've also read on another forum that the Spanish 'DoDot'-brand of nappies are identical to 'Pampers' (same manufacturer).

gilliand 22-04-2010 09:49

Mike - thank you for the tips. We have a car so we can get to the bigger supermarkets easily. Thankfully the family we are renting the apartment from have young children so have a cot, highchair and toys etc....but again, thank you!

star81 22-04-2010 14:19

Buying baby stuff

Hi,

Just back a couple of weeks ago with my little one who is now 16 months old. This was our 3rd visit with him since he was born and I take very little in way of supplies with me.

I take enough wipes, nappies etc for travel first day. Then I head to Eroski and buy Dodots nappies and wipes. The nappies are identical to pampers as already mentioned. Think it was about 20 euro for about 60 nappies. I also buy Dodot wipes.

Food wise with age he now is don't really need anything apart from fruit puree as he has it in morning with breakfast and although I make all myself at home over there I just buy pre made pots of frutapura there. Hipp jars etc sold if you need them. The only thing I think is very expensive is the hipp baby juice and unfortunately he will not ever drink plain water !

The pharmacias all sell baby bottles, cups etc by Avent and Tommy Tippee.

Any other queries just ask.

Star.

gilliand 23-04-2010 11:58

Thanks Star - my only other question is whether restaurants tend to be good at heating up your own baby food. My little boy still likes his food well mashed up so (although is not too bad with little pasta etc) so at home I still take food out with me.

mike_dublin 23-04-2010 12:24

Food warming / harness at baby chairs

Our little girl was happy eating part of our dishes, but I wouldn't think it's a problem to get food warmed up in any restaurant in PP. They are all very friendly and helpful.

One thing I remember from last year that almost all baby chairs in the restaurants were lacking a harness. Might be worth popping into Mothercare or the likes and bringing a harness along (or two in your case) that you can attach to the chair - as long as you don't forget to retrieve it before you head back to the apartment ...

star81 23-04-2010 13:48

Baby Things

Heating up food should be no problem, last November all places were visited were very helpful with this, normally bring you out a bowl with boiling water to stand the food in.

Fisher price do a really good thing though, I have it for heating milk but they do a food one to. Amazon sell them. Just type in 'Fisher Price Thermos'. They are great for taking out and about especially if you are travelling around and means you don't have to wait in restaurants for them to bring you water etc.

Great tip about the highchairs Mike !

gilliand 23-04-2010 20:46

Thanks Star. I have the FP milk warmer as well. I did not have the food one but Jojomaman bebe do a food flask which you can warm food in before you go out and it stays warm. I used it with my daughter but it has broken and I have not bothered replacing it as my son is probably almost at a stage where he can food purchased in restaurants. He is just fussier than I remember my daughter about chewing food so I keep making it for him. Thanks everyone for your help.