Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 20:09

Default late opening/sundays/fiestas!

hi, we'll be arriving on Sat eve and I gather it's a fiesta weekend, so just wondered if that alters when the shops are open? Our flight doesn't get in until nearly 6 so once I've worked out where the lights etc are on the hire car, and reminded myself 16 times to drive on the right we won't be getting to Pollensa very early... and does anyone have any suggestions on a supermarket that is easy to find, with parking, and of course, open? Am thinking maybe Alcampo on the way but not too sure how to find it... We're staying just outside the old town not at the port, hence the need for parking rather than in-town Spar-type shops.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 20:26
Super Moderator

Hi Studentka, i am afraid the supermarkets in the port have not posted opening hours for the fiesta yet, maybe someone who lives in the town might have some info they could post.
Old 12-01-2010, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentka View Post
Am thinking maybe Alcampo on the way but not too sure how to find it...
Thanks!
If you are thinking large Palma supermarket then Carrefour is probably easier (if it is open on a Saturday evening - not sure) - first motorway exit leaving the airport. Google it and you should find their opening hours.
Old 12-01-2010, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
If you are thinking large Palma supermarket then Carrefour is probably easier (if it is open on a Saturday evening - not sure) - first motorway exit leaving the airport. Google it and you should find their opening hours.
Thanks! Thought there was an Alcampo between Palma and Pollensa but this might be a better bet... According to this they are open 10-10 even on fiestas so should be fine! Google street view is a bit mad though, it seems to think Carrefour is some apartments near a bank and veggie shop!
Old 12-01-2010, 22:56
Founder

See our airport directions at Directions from Palma airport to Puerto Pollensa Majorca Mallorca as we mention the Carrefour (at about km3.4).
Old 13-01-2010, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
See our airport directions at Directions from Palma airport to Puerto Pollensa Majorca Mallorca as we mention the Carrefour (at about km3.4).
thanks have already printed these off, they look very useful! in combo with Google's directions am hoping not to take too many detours... Am also trying to memorise the speed limits, and hoping all road signage will be self explanatory! Bit daunted by the driving abroad thing, having only pootled about in a small town in Catalunya before... Fingers crossed!!
Old 13-01-2010, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentka View Post
Thanks! Thought there was an Alcampo between Palma and Pollensa but this might be a better bet... According to this they are open 10-10 even on fiestas so should be fine! Google street view is a bit mad though, it seems to think Carrefour is some apartments near a bank and veggie shop!
There is an Alcampo just off the motorway after you have left Palma however the link road from the motorway is a little more difficult than the Carrefour connection from the motorway. We prefer the Alcampo set up as there is a small mall of internal shops/coffee bars + Decathlon + Leroy Merlin. Carrefour is quite a 'beast' - larger than most UK supermarkets.
My only worry is that the Carrefour link you have provided seems to provide the wrong location for their supermarket!!! The address is correct but I think their own map puts the store on the wrong side of the motorway - does anyone else agree?
Old 13-01-2010, 15:06
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
My only worry is that the Carrefour link you have provided seems to provide the wrong location for their supermarket!!! The address is correct but I think their own map puts the store on the wrong side of the motorway - does anyone else agree?
If you mean this link Coll d´en Rabassa Palma
from our shopping page, I see what you mean. You take the exit to the right & then go right at the roundabout. It isn't where they show it on their own map!

I think it is here on Google Maps & they even have Street View now so you can see it's a Carrefour! Carrefour - coll d'en rabassa palma - Google Maps
Old 13-01-2010, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
If you mean this link Coll d´en Rabassa Palma
from our shopping page, I see what you mean. You take the exit to the right & then go right at the roundabout. It isn't where they show it on their own map!
[/url]
Exactly - grateful that you concur - thought I was going mad! I know we drive on the right there and there is a sequence of islands by Carrefour (i.e. going around in circles when you first arrive) but just to confirm that the Hypermarket is on the right hand side when leaving the airport on the way to Palma/PP. Worth noting that if you buy larger items from Carrefour they operate a loyalty card scheme (like Nectar) which from memory provides vouchers at around 0.5% of the value of the purchase.
Old 13-01-2010, 20:56

Quote:
I think it is here on Google Maps & they even have Street View now so you can see it's a Carrefour!
Thanks for this, don't know how you found it but better than the mystery street Google put me in! Have been 'walking' round on streetview to try and get an idea of what's what... So, if I understand correctly, I leave the Ma19 at junction 6 signed for Inca, and take the second exit on the roundabout for the centre comercial. All I've got to do now is remember to go the 'wrong' way round the roundabouts