Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 21:46

Default PP weekly market...same old? same old?

I have never been to the market in PP. I've done Pollensa on a sunday aswell as Alcudia on the tuesday and Palma on the saturday. Now, the Pollensa one was a joy to experience with all the food on display etc. Equally I enjoyed the Alcudia and Palma ones for all the tackyness from the Looky, Looky, cheaper than Tesco men. I just love the atmosphere and the banter aswell as enjoying exploring the town afterwards. In Alcudia I especially loved the freshly squeezed orange juice man and his squeezing contraption that I could've watched all day

My question is, what is the PP one like? Can I expect a degree of tackyness, banter and atmosphere? Will they be shoving fake Gucci bags in my face as I walk by? Or will they be proudly standing behind their stall, showing off their hand made crafts?

Muchos.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 23:18

Mearsy, yes to all the above. Market day in PP is on a Wednesday. Get there early as it tends to get very busy and the usual advice about looking after bags and wallets applies as it does anywhere else in the world. Apart from the usual tacky stuff, there are stalls selling fruit and veg, all sorts of olives, hams and cheeses, pots and pans, pottery - I could go on and on....!

Jan
Old 11-02-2010, 11:15

We found the PP market less "In your face" than the Alcudia one. A bit more subdued, but comparable goods (bags, wallets, trinkets). Being a London boy I love a bit of bartering and this can get very heated with the African guys in Alcudia. Very entertaining!

Last edited by PaulB; 11-02-2010 at 11:18.
Old 11-02-2010, 13:46

It does depend when you are visiting. At the moment there are only a few brave souls braving the elements on a Wednesday. Always a few fruit and veg,the cheese man and a couple of clothes stalls. It does of course depend on the weather during Tuesday Night.
Old 11-02-2010, 16:40

We love the PP market , and usuallly try to fly out on a Mon or Tue so we can buy all our fresh fruit , salad ingredients , nuts and honey etc for the duration of our stay. Our particular favourite is Charcuterie Mateo , he sells the most wonderful sausage, hams , cheese etc and is keen for you to taste before you buy if the queue isn`t too long. Another reason We enjoy PP market is because it is not too large and easily manageable in an hour or so with plenty of time for a coffee in Bar Cultural afterwards . I have bought some jewellery , belts and hats in it over the years. Hope this helps
Old 11-02-2010, 20:30

jjacks has it right, it's a mixture of everything, and the squares a nice setting
Old 11-02-2010, 23:55

I’m not really a big fan of ‘taggy markets’ or even ‘car-boots’ for that matter.
However if I’m in P.P. and it’s a Wednesday, the wonderful market is a must. Best to get up early to see it at its best. Its full of colour, full of character and full of characters. There is a great variety of stalls mainly run by Mallorcians with a few ‘lucky, lucky men’ thrown in for good luck!
I like to do a swift reconnoitre / full circle of the square to look at most of the stalls; mainly fruit, veg, meats, fish, cheeses, olives, etc., and also the many colourful displays of flowers just off the square. I then like to go slowly round again, in more detail.
It’s great for big fat lemons for the old G & T. A few grams of Queso along with some Jamon Serrano to get you in Spanish mode. A nice juicy Melon. Fresh oranges, etc., etc. Look up the names of fruit and veg. before you go on holiday. It's great practice asking for them in Spanish as you do your shopping - "dos melones por favor"!
Then the piece-de-resistance (sorry no accents) - a colourful and exotic bunch of flowers for the ‘other-half’ who, by the way, is still in bed (note: its only about 8-00a.m. by this time) and not really too bothered about the market! The flowers grace the apartment for the rest of our holiday and I get a few ‘brownie points’ thrown in for free. Why don’t you try it gentlemen!
Well Mearsy, the above is my personal recommendation for P.P. Market.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35

That really sums it up pescador. Certainly is my preference of markets and as I said less in winter but how I admire those locals who get upto bring thier own produce to market.
Old 12-02-2010, 17:00

I can't believe it's worked out that I've never been. I will be changing that this year.

Thankyou
Old 24-02-2010, 13:11

If you do like markets a trip to the Inca one on a Thursday is a FULL day out. I think it is the largest on the Island - you get quite a few repeat stalls but I presume this keeps the prices down. Park somewhere like Anthony's (leather shop close to the island with the petrol station) - go in for a coffee - put on your walking shoes and give yourself at least a couple of hours - it takes that long in the summer to get around. Like all the markets on the island be aware of pickpockets.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 24-02-2010 at 16:35. Reason: Wrong day!
Old 24-02-2010, 13:28

Is it not on a Thursday at Inca or have they changed it as some years since I've been.
Old 24-02-2010, 14:26
Super Moderator

According to the "Shopping & Markets" section on this website the Inca market is on a Thursday.
Old 24-02-2010, 16:29

I am sure it was last Friday when we went but there again it could have been the Rioja the night before plus just looked in the Bulletin and that says Friday .... will check out over the next couple of days.

Apologies - at least I have the excuse the Bulletin got it wrong last week as well.

Last edited by Sun Properties; 24-02-2010 at 16:37.
Old 24-02-2010, 18:23
Founder

Default Inca Market

It always used to be on a Thursday. I've just Googled it & most entries say Thursday. So if it has changed, do let me know & I'll change the Shopping page.

The No Frills Excursion website shows it as Thursday.

Is it different in Winter maybe?

Pont d'Inca market is on Friday....