Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 14:50

Default Confessions of a shopaholic

Hi
Does anyone else feel the red mist of retail therapy descend sometimes in Majorca?
Or, is it me?
This is probably a girl thing & never seems to affect the senor (whom I usually leave in the Cultural bar the PP equivalent of the IKEA childrens ping pong ball room).
Every year I seem hell-bent on buying somrthing large, usually expensive and impossible to pack.
I gaze in awe at lighting fixtures taller than I am & sculptures that I just need, spend my time plotting ways to bring it back to the UK - leave senor / his clothes behind etc Is it something in the air in PP?
I've bought enough shoes & handbags to fill a store, I think I just love the challenge of a proper impractical purchase.
One year it was a huge church painting at Sineu market, another it was the two iron geese from the really nice gift shop near Guru, not forgetting the large ceramic frog from the pottery shop behind Bona Cepa.
Yes I am the blonde woman looking distraught at the airport with a large irregular package.
Anyone else find this strikes them in PP?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 15:46

LOL!!! WOW, we really must meet up there sometime! Im very tame compared to you, I just have bags and shoes, but Im extremely impressed that you actually buy something totally impossible, and STILL manage to get it back!! Hubby would just look at m e and be really practical - leaving me to sulk for the rest of the day! Would love to take note from a master sorry, mistress!!
Old 02-09-2008, 15:55

masters, mistresses and blonde women with large irregular packages - are we still talking about shopping

gary
Old 02-09-2008, 16:09

Hi Belladonna
It's fun isn't it?
My daughter bought a fountain one year - I was so proud of her!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 16:35

Good grief! Which airline do you use? A private jet!! How do you deal with the wrapping etc. Does it cost a fortune?
Old 02-09-2008, 16:45

Hi again
Well I'm sneaky, I smile a lot & often use the facility at the airport whereby you can hand in odd shaped packeages & so far they've never weighed them. I was goggle-eyed with admiration chatting to a man who had bought a 5 man canoe in Palma. It was huge (Belladonna we could have fitted an entire shop's stock of handbags in there).
Senor just pretends he doesn't know me a the airport.
Old 02-09-2008, 20:08

There's post going on about excess baggage charges and Rosita's checking in fountains and iron geese.

I take my hat off to you!
Old 02-09-2008, 21:40

Good heavens ..I only manage a purse each visit.I can see I definately need lessons here...anyone available for a crash course in October
Old 03-09-2008, 00:33

I am a mere man but I have a few tales to tell regarding bringing things back.
As many of you know, I have been visiting Puerto Pollensa two or three times a year fo the last thirty-odd years. One of my best afforts was a wicker basket bought in Inca. I took it on board the rather full plane as hand luggage, but as it was too large for the overhead locker, it travelled home with the Captain on the Flight Deck.This was some 25 years ago- basket still going strong!!

PeRu
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44

Cool

Bet you couldnt do that today!
Most expensive item Ive brought back was a piece of Ladro from the shop in PP. It was one of the 3 kings and I loved it! Cost a fortune and we carried it back on our laps wrapped in bubble wrap and boxed - again, about 10 years ago.
Unfortunately, I had it on show rather than in a cupboard and was a little careless with dusting one day before friends came round. I broke the horses leg off!
Have been devestated ever since, but just havent got round to finding a professional that can put it back to gether again.
Hubby never let me carry on buying the other two - neeedless to say!!
Old 03-09-2008, 18:04

I love the litlte Boutiques on the road from the square towards The Oro Playa and the shop at the bottom of the steps in pollensa that sells gorgeous jewellery and belts etc and the honey stall in the market and of course (i'll miss it this year) the aladins cave that was the fantastic wine shop with the slightly grumpy shop keeper near the roundabout and the shop that sells lacoste on the front and the obligatory shiney useless stone shop on the front too! Arrrrghhhh so much shopping so little time (and space)!! I'm going to justify all my purchases this year by telling my Senor about the lady who bought a fountain!!!, Well done!
Old 03-09-2008, 23:09

Afraid my tale is in reverse, just flown out to our apartment in PP with a 12 foot diameter swimming pool (complete with filter), I managed to fit it in a suitcase and was amazed when it weighed in at 18.5kg. I went to Tesco for some toothpaste on the day of our departure and noticed that they had reduced these pools (which I had been looking at for about 6 months) to 34 pounds, half the original price, I arrived home with the purchase and I cannot repeat what the hubby said. To cut a long story short we got it here, all we have to do now is erect it - hopefully hubby will have put his dummy back in by then. Í will report back whether it was a bargain or not!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51

My Father once brought back 2 antique muskets - like Peroos basket - they travelled with the pilot!
Old 05-09-2008, 00:11

Default Shopping

In the more elightened days before the airlines decided that 21kg could actualy make the plane fall from the sky, i shuttled a Hi-FI back and forth, before i actualy purchased one in PP, i mean a hi-fi, not one of these mini jobs.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00

When we changed apartments many years ago, we brought back an electric fan. It was far better than we could buy here and is still going strong. Thats when we had the three children with us and could share things around the suitcases though! Ah, happy days!