Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2008, 09:56

Default Exchange rates in PP

Hi there - anyone know what you are currently getting for your cash in PP.
Am a bit behind times and will probably change sterling into euros, have used a travel agents just round the corner from the Eroski supermarket in the past?

Everyone seems to be recommending getting a Nationwide atm card - how do these work?

appreciate any info?
15 days to go - looking forward to 2 weeks of heaven!!
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2008, 10:21

I always use my ATM card (not Nationwide) for cash when travelling. It is almost certain to get you a better rate than, say, the travel agents you are using.

Almost all cards add service charges to do this. Most add two charges at around 2% of withdrawal. One is a "withdrawal charge". The other is a further charge for the using it abroad (a legal scam if ever there was one). Looking at my bank statement for my last overseas trip, I see I made a withdrawal of €140. My bank then made charges of £2.95 and £2.21. My understanding is that Nationwide levies neither of these charges.

So, yes, using a Nationwide card will save you a few quid over a holiday. I've never been sufficiently fussed to be bothered setting up a brand new account with another bnk just for holidays. Which, of course, is what my bank (Nat West) counts on.

And, BTW, never, ever use a credit card to withdraw cash. The rates are particularly lousy and you pay interest form day 1, even if you pay off the card each month.

More info Cheap Travel Money: Get the best exchange rates and pick the right plastic...

Last edited by Harters; 15-08-2008 at 10:56. Reason: typo corrections
Old 15-08-2008, 10:59

I keep a Nationwide debit card just for when I am travelling. You do not get charged anything for using it abroad and you get a particularly good rate of exchange. We were in PP in July, when the small change bureaux (sorry if I've spelt that wrong) were offering 1.21€ and using the Nationwide card we got between 1.25-1.26€.
You do not need to have your wage paid into it to open their current account, but it can take a couple of weeks from applying, to getting it set up.
All we do is transfer money to it from our usual bank and just use the ATM's when we get there.
I also use the Nationwide credit card but only for purchases (never for drawing cash) I use it in the shops and restaurants, it saves your cash, you can pay the bill off when you get home and again you are not charged for using it abroad.

Note: No charges for withdrawal either.
Hope this helps.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:20

Thanks for both of those replies - think we may be wise to see about setting up a Nationwide card just for hols - trust there are plenty of cash machines around to use
Old 15-08-2008, 11:33

Mandyproc, I think you've left it too late.....

I applied about 3 wks ago & have recieved my Flex account card but still waiting on my Pin number (haven't checked today's post yet though !) or it could be a quick stop at tavelex (online) to get some euros at the airport !

2 sleeps !
Old 15-08-2008, 11:34
Super Moderator

Hi Mandy, there are lots of cashpoints in the port.
Old 15-08-2008, 11:44

I also set up a Nationwide account to use this year for our holiday, no problems except you dont seem to be able to get a bance of your account from the machines, so advise keeping a record of what you draw out, unlike me, to keep a check on what you have in there.
Old 16-08-2008, 10:18

Default Pinereto

You do not need a Nationwide card; a Platinum Master Card from the Post Office will do the same thing—no charges and good exchange rates—we were getting around 1.257 in June. As for cash, most of the UK broadsheets this week have been advising the exchange of sterling to euros before travelling. Thomas Cook seems to be coming highest in most tables but obviously watch the fees.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:05

Thanks for all those replies, 12 days to go and counting!!!