Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 21:13

Default Caprabo

We were in PP last two weeks in May and I was struck by how little stock Caprabo had. There were a serious amount of empty shelves to the point where, in the second week of our stay, I couldn't purchase a sauce for pasta. I also noticed a number of Eroski brand products on the shelves.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a reason for this?

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 21:52
Founder

Hi Sharon,

my son is actually out in PP at the moment. He arrived Saturday & told me that Caprabo was actually shut for stock taking! - so perhaps they were letting stocks run out so that there wasn't so much to count. I assume it must be open again by now?

As they are impoverished students partaking in their expensive hobby of Scuba Diving, they were told to go to Mercadona in Alcudia, which they did.

Re Eroski brands - I think I may have heard that they'd been bought out so perhaps it will reopen as another Eroski? See http://www.caprabo.es/index_es.html & spot the eroski logo!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:33

Smile Caprabo/Eroski

Caprabo has been taken over by Eroski.
The Caprabo in Aveneda Tucan in Alcudia has been changed into an Eroski store, with a period of little stock, and large ares with nothing in them!
The girl in the Alcudia store told me, "Puerto Pollensa will be next."

I assume that this is what is happening in the Port.
I wonder what items we have taken for granted in Caprabo won't be there after the transformation?

Cheers!

Frito
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27

Sad we used to like going there, I asume as its a prime site it will not change much, it is always so busy.
Old 03-06-2008, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I wonder what items we have taken for granted in Caprabo won't be there after the transformation?
My favourite from Caprabo was the tins of black olives.

Most tourists buy the jars because they look nicer with pretty labels, but the tinned olives are excellent ( and cheap)

I will miss those, I just opened the last tin we brought back to UK in February for lunch today

If I had read this thread this morning I would have saved them a bit longer

Everything changes so fast these days.. such a shame really.

Mark
Old 03-06-2008, 20:13

Thank you all for the information - mystery solved!
Old 03-06-2008, 21:34

Cool caprabo

Cant believe the detail on this site - I presumed it was just me with a Caprabo fixation. I am off to PP to Saturday and have already ensured I have a one euro coin to hand for the trolley.
I am going to buy a fishing rod for my son - I hope they keep the washing up powder next to the DIY section.

Last edited by Trudy; 03-06-2008 at 21:37.
Old 03-06-2008, 23:23

Trudy

I am sadder, once or twice a month I log into the caprabo website and see what deals they are doing, the have a PDF brochure of the latest deals. One of my favourite parts of the holiday is digging out nice produce in Caprabo and cooking it for the family. The jointed rabbit is delicious and is just something you cannot buy here in Scotland anymore.

In saying that, in the days when I went to Soller, my favourite steak came from the Soller Syp Eroski. Where else could you get an inch think T Bone steak for a couple of quid? I always felt it was cheaper than Caprabo?

Tinned olives, yup agree, delicious. Also love the spicy pickled carrot, olive and gherkin kebabs in brine. Make a lovely lunch nibble.

Mark
Old 04-06-2008, 20:19

Hello

Eroski - the old one in Pollensa (main road) that was good. Meat excellent. Now it has changed we don't like it.

We heard in Cala d'or that they had merged/taken over - maybel it will be better once all sorted.

regards

sandradee
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40

Default Caprabo

I love Caprabo - I know my famiy think it is sad that part of my holiday fun is supermarket shopping. When I return home Morrisons is just so not the same
Anyway I just wanted to say that I think Eroski is part of the Mondragon Cooperative (if I was listening in Economics at Uni last year). This means that it is even better to shop there for me and beneficial to the locals at the same time.That will be my excuse anyway......I even ask friends to call in and bring me back various items when I am a long time between visits and the longing gets too much.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52

I like all the extras at Caprabo - like crockery and socks! But have always felt that the fruit and veg in Syp or the smaller supermarkets like the Voramar is nicer (the best is the market of course)

Has anyone tried the Caprabo near the old town - any good?

lala
Old 05-06-2008, 14:03

Wow lala you live an interesting life crockery and socks , agree about the veg its better from the smaller shops or market. We always use the new one just outside the town that was the Syp, but now on new industrial estate, or the one in the middle of the town where all the locals go, we find that cheaper. Saw Tony Hadley in the Caprabo last year he shouted to his wife ‘do we need any sliced bread babe’, I laughed to myself, a long way from Top of the pops to the Caprabo, hey that could be a song.
Old 05-06-2008, 22:12

LOL! love it! Hopefully Tony is reading and we can see that released soon - you make me laugh SWS!!!

Yep I agree - forgot to metion the one in the back streets - now that is a proper local supermarket and I think it sells socks too!

Lala
Old 06-06-2008, 11:28

Not only socks lala but also ducks, chickens and just about everything else you can thinks of, inside its an Aladdin’s cave just like Mr Mirs, and also they sell flowers that the locals have grown on their smallholdings, I always buy bunches to decorate the villa with.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:50
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala70w View Post

Yep I agree - forgot to metion the one in the back streets - now that is a proper local supermarket and I think it sells socks too!
I know a bit off-topic but which is this local supermarket you mean & where is it? Thanks