Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-2005, 03:13
susayates

Default Drawings and Watercolours

Have just come back from 2 fantastic weeks just outside Pollensa - we booked to return within 24 hours of getting back.

One quick question - whilst out in Mallorca I looked high and low for either drawings or watercolours of the mountains on the island. Visited lots of galleries or shops in the north of the island (Pollensa, Porto Pollensa and Cala san Vicente) but could only find "impressionist" style paintings of the countryside, the coves of the north and the occasional mountain.

Are there are decent shops, galleries, markets on the island where I might have some success. I don't want to start a debate on artist styles but I am more a dutch/english landscape girl and I travelled home vowing to continue my hunt. I have even checked on the net but yet again, lots of impressionist or even abstract style.

Any suggestions, websites etc. would be greatly appreciated. The alternative is to find a fantastic photography shop (such as we discovered in the Canadian rockies this year) where you can purchase mountain photos - again suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Susan
Sponsored Links
Old 28-10-2005, 15:13
diver val

Default drawings and watercolours

Hi Susan

Yes, I have noticed most of the art to be found is of the impressionist style or abstract. An idea might be to ask on the forum if anyone could do a commision for you, I wouldl think there are a lot of watercolourists out there. I do landscapes and seascapes but probably not quite good enough for you. (although I have sold some paintings) Just a thought. There may be painting classes/groups being held in the port which could also help. Some very good artists can be found in these places. hope this helps.

diver val
Old 28-10-2005, 19:40
ChrisLox

Default Re: drawings and watercolours

Susan,
There are lots of art galleries and shops in Palma. Also, if I remember correct there's a good shop in the mall part of the Alcampo hypermarket which is worth a visit. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Chris
Old 28-10-2005, 23:46
jiggy

Hi susan, and welcome to the forum.
Sorry, i dont know much about the wherabouts of galleries or paintings, but just a thourght, have you looked at the new Flickr Pollensa photos on this site? there are some nice mountain shots on there, and they don't cost a cent!
jiggy
Old 29-10-2005, 05:06

Whilst looking for something completely different , I have just come across this website

www.thebigartcompany.com

If you do find a suitable photo, this may be the site for you as they convert photos into prints on canvas
Old 29-10-2005, 16:27

Hi Susan and welcome!

Great to open up a new and different topic.

And Jiggy! what's this? More to you than meets the eye!

Regards

Porto
Old 30-10-2005, 02:47

Hi Susan,
I have to admit, I'm no expert on art (but I know what I like yada yada). I have always loved to look at the local artists paintings of Mallorca, Villalonga for one, and most are oils etc. I don't think you're going to find many drawings or water colours, but I do know that Alwyn Crawshaw (not sure of the spelling) has done lots of water colours and also does painting trips to Mallorca. Maybe if you look for him on Google you might be lucky.
Old 31-10-2005, 02:03
Founder

Good suggestion Mallorcaboy.

Try putting 'watercolour pollensa' into google & you come across quite a few - try www.google.co.uk/search?&q=watercolour%20pollensa I think you may find something there.
Old 30-01-2006, 03:28
volpen

Ebay is a good place to look for pictures of Mallorca. I have found and bought several excellent watercolors and etchings at very reasonable prices.

Anders