Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2007, 18:11
Chiara19

Default pillows needed

We are a family of bad back & asthma sufferers and there are never enough pillows for us all.
We are coming to PP for 2 wks starting 28-7-07 and dread the thought that the first night will (as always) be spent sleeping on an assortment of cushions and folded up towels.

Previously we found one long thin bolster thingy at Caprabo - but had to leave it behind. Luggage limits preclude bringing a ton of squashy pillows so we have to acquire some when we arrive and donate them to anyone who needs them when we go.

I know there is an Ikea between Palma and PP but the mere thought of dragging the cranky family round Ikea when we get off the plane fills my heart with dread.

Does anyone know of anywhere in PP/P that will be open on a Saturday afternoon and have an abundance of pillows for sale?

(Yes - we tried the obvious one about asking the company we are renting the villa from about extra pillows but they weren't very helpful).

Help

c
Sponsored Links
Old 23-06-2007, 21:33
star81

Hi,

I would have said the easiest thing to do on arrival would be to pop into Ikea but like you say not the best trip to have to do to start your hols !

I have noticed that M&S here are doing 2 pillows for £5 just now and they are really well packed into a roll which would not take up too much space in the cases, maybe this is an option?

Hope others can help you more.

Star
Old 23-06-2007, 21:39
My Angel Pie

OK forget IKEA in en route to PP, but why not get the IKEA pillows before you go. I was at my nearest Ikea last week and their pillows are very tightly vaccumed packed - each normal size pillow is shrunk to about A4 size, so you could pack quite a few this way and due to their cheap prices not feel guilty when you leave them behind.

good luck.
Old 23-06-2007, 23:25
Founder

Are inflatable beach cushions (underneath a normal pillow) another option?
Old 23-06-2007, 23:38

Brace yourself - here comes another well meant suggestion rather than details of a local shop :\

Why not take pillows as hand luggage? I have a colleague who can't bear to be parted from "her pillow" and always does this. She uses it to snooze on the plane too - comfy!
Old 24-06-2007, 07:05
Chiara19

Thank you for your suggestions but .........
the inflatable beach cushions (2005) were sweaty and we spent half the night inflating and deflating them
hold luggage space is at a premium due to the amount of equipment the divers/snorkellers in the family need and the fact that easyjet don't give you an extra sports luggage allowance
hand luggage is out because we need about 8 extra pillows, there are only four of us - and we carry laptops and assorted gameboys, mp3s etc etc in our hand luggage already

Eternal gratitude to anyone who can come up with another solution
C
Old 24-06-2007, 21:02

Default Re:pillows needed

Crikey you travel light!!!! :lol

Think the best solution would be to stop off at Ikea once you have arrived in Palma.It's only 5 minutes from the airport and you cant miss it. Leave the rest of the family having a drink in the restaurant and you can be in, grab your pillows, and out in 10 minutes . All Ikea's have the same lay out so if you are familiar with this you should be able to head straight to the right depatment.

Debs
Old 25-06-2007, 08:10
sonyaaa

bloody hell! hard work when you go on your travels! but I'm sure its worth it ! What about one of those vacum bags its amazing what you can squash into a small space! done it myself when I took quilts and pillows over for our apartment give it a try or take Debs advice sounds a pretty good idea too.
Old 25-06-2007, 08:22

Vacuum bags!! i thought you meant one of those Hoover or Electolux ones:eek :lol
How about a using a couple of cushins from the apt. or failing that , an inflatable lilo:\
Old 25-06-2007, 16:35

sonyaaa we also used those vacuum bags when we were taken stuff out to the apartment. They are brilliant and you can get loads in your cases... I used to laugh at how towels and pillows could be squashed down so small, they looked really funny. But although you could get loads in the case, I think with the much stricter baggage allowance you would be charged excess. I did managed to sneak out a dozen vacuum packed bath towels once in hubby's golf bag but with the heightened security doubt I'd get away with that now!

And jigggy using cushions from the apartment?! I hope people don't use mine as pillows (cushions I mean!!)..all those hot sweaty August heads :eek
Old 25-06-2007, 19:53
Sun Properties

Another alternative may be to stop off at either Carrefour or Al Campo. At least that way you could get some of your food/drink shopping as well.

Sun Properties.
Old 12-08-2007, 19:52
Chiara19

Thanks for all your replies - in the end we went to IKEA at home , stocke dup on pillows at £1:79 for two and paid for an extra bag to take them in. The bag came back full of booze (wrapped inside swimming towels) and mallorcan pastries for our parents who love them to bits but can't travel abroad anymore.
The owner of the villa was devastated as she would have been more than willing to get us more pillows if the agent had bothered to ask her. Never mind - anyone visiting Finca marina in Pollensa will find it well stocked with pillows (and everything else - even down to hairdriers and a dvd player.)