Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Market Opinion (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/14296-market-opinion.html)

Luckjon 12-07-2019 10:34

Market Opinion

We have been coming to P.P. for over a quarter of a century and as we self-cater, regularly buy fresh fruit and veg from both Pollensa market and here in the port. Since we bought an apartment four years ago the duration of stays gets longer and we increasingly enjoy ‘balcony’ meals in the evening.

I have noticed a sad decline in the quality of fresh produce whilst costs outstrip inflation. I have just about enough Spanish to ask stall holders about their product and cost etc. but still get ‘had over’ from time to time with underweight produce or poor quality fruit hidden at the bottom of a punnet (I have given up on buying strawberries from the markets).Recent examples have included an avocado bought 2 weeks ago as ‘ready to eat’ which you could use as a paperweight it is still so hard and a melon which when we cut into it almost exploded as it was so rotten. A lot of stall holders don’t like the customer touching the goods (my wife got her hand slapped recently for this) so you often have to trust them.

One of the key attractions for us in the past was the price of goods but often we are surprised at either individual cost of an item or the total when we have purchased a range of goods (always seems to be a third more than estimated).

I hate to say it but over the last few months we have made increasing use of supermarkets – Hiper Centro in particular with fortnightly visits to Lidl; for us the quality and price make a big difference. One of the downsides is that market produce is local and we are concerned about food miles etc. But it is surprising how much is Mallorcan produced.

I have always tried to support local business but quality of fresh produce is really important to us.

I would be interested in experiences and opinions of others.

JPALCOVER 12-07-2019 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckjon (Post 127318)
We have been coming to P.P. for over a quarter of a century and as we self-cater, regularly buy fresh fruit and veg from both Pollensa market and here in the port. Since we bought an apartment four years ago the duration of stays gets longer and we increasingly enjoy ‘balcony’ meals in the evening.

I have noticed a sad decline in the quality of fresh produce whilst costs outstrip inflation. I have just about enough Spanish to ask stall holders about their product and cost etc. but still get ‘had over’ from time to time with underweight produce or poor quality fruit hidden at the bottom of a punnet (I have given up on buying strawberries from the markets).Recent examples have included an avocado bought 2 weeks ago as ‘ready to eat’ which you could use as a paperweight it is still so hard and a melon which when we cut into it almost exploded as it was so rotten. A lot of stall holders don’t like the customer touching the goods (my wife got her hand slapped recently for this) so you often have to trust them.

One of the key attractions for us in the past was the price of goods but often we are surprised at either individual cost of an item or the total when we have purchased a range of goods (always seems to be a third more than estimated).

I hate to say it but over the last few months we have made increasing use of supermarkets – Hiper Centro in particular with fortnightly visits to Lidl; for us the quality and price make a big difference. One of the downsides is that market produce is local and we are concerned about food miles etc. But it is surprising how much is Mallorcan produced.

I have always tried to support local business but quality of fresh produce is really important to us.

I would be interested in experiences and opinions of others.

A few thoughts :

1) Complain directly to the stall "owners" (at the market) who have not treated you correctly ; demand replacement of the "out of condition" merchandise; most likely they will apologise and replace the "out of condition" merchandise for free;
2) Do not do any "repeat business" with those who refuse to "indemnify you" as suggested above;
3) Continue using HyperCentro as an alternative (it is the best quality supermarket in the vicinity);
4) Imagine your story written by a Mallorcan tourist spending his vacation in Bognor Regis, Bornemouth or any other British holiday resort; what would you recommend?

All of the above based on living in Spain since 1978 and in Mallorca since 1984 ; 19 years full-time, the rest part-time.