Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree291Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 16:10

I've signed. Qn - without making accusations - what are the known facts behind this significant and very concerning issue ?

The ice cream hut/cabin has been in place (they state) for over 50 years. I've got photo evidence that shows a hut located there, by the roundabout, in about 1972ish. The ice cream hut is a historic and treasured feature of PP.

Valls' hut is obviously directly in front of Gran Cafe 1919 (part of Boulevard Group), but Gran Cafe has only been there since more recently, (perhaps) ten or so years. So - what's the known facts, and why ?
debz1 and Sparky like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-04-2016, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molt de Renou View Post
I agree with the last three comments.

But looking at it rationally, the kiosk is "in the way".

Let's hope a solution can be found that satisfies all four parties, in other words Costas, the Town Hall, Valls and Boulevard.

Molt

'In the way'??? They've always been there and the alternative would be loads of tables and chairs
Sparky, Rosie34, Nick and 4 others like this.
Old 17-04-2016, 17:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWUK2 View Post
I've signed. Qn - without making accusations - what are the known facts behind this significant and very concerning issue ?

The ice cream hut/cabin has been in place (they state) for over 50 years. I've got photo evidence that shows a hut located there, by the roundabout, in about 1972ish. The ice cream hut is a historic and treasured feature of PP.

Valls' hut is obviously directly in front of Gran Cafe 1919 (part of Boulevard Group), but Gran Cafe has only been there since more recently, (perhaps) ten or so years. So - what's the known facts, and why ?
It seems that Cafe 1919 want to have the kiosk removed because it impacts on their business, in other words they want the space to extend their terrace.
The locals are up in arms over this as well as the tourists who love Valls because as you say, they have been there for many more years than Cafe 1919.
debz1, Rosie34, Roy&Myra and 2 others like this.
Old 17-04-2016, 17:40
Super Moderator

Wow!!! this petition is getting massive support, 2250 signatures so far on day one .
PP76, debz1, Golfaholics and 4 others like this.
Old 17-04-2016, 17:55

Signed. Now, a boycott of Boulevard Gp to concentrate their minds?
Old 17-04-2016, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanglens View Post
Signed. Now, a boycott of Boulevard Gp to concentrate their minds?
What a great idea.

Restaurants in the group include Voss, O'Hara's, Australian Bar, Cana Poscador, Dakota, Cafe 1919, Donatello, Fusion and Santafe.
graham and Roy&Myra like this.

Last edited by snowy2007; 18-04-2016 at 10:56. Reason: Link removed.
Old 17-04-2016, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
'In the way'??? They've always been there and the alternative would be loads of tables and chairs
I meant that by moving it very somewhere nearby it could possibly improve the look of the paseo.

Boulevard could cover all costs.
Old 17-04-2016, 20:08

I thought there was something up last year when they opened the shop...

But, even though it's unlikely we'll be out this year, there's absolutely zero way the hut should be removed or relocated.

What an absolute disgrace...
Words fail me...

Especially looking back over the recently posted historic pictures of PP..
The hut belongs in this place!...

If it does go through against all efforts, the 1919 won't ever see a cent from me...
Old 17-04-2016, 21:59

Wasn't this brought up before, they said last year the kiosk was closing which is why they opened the shop wasn't it!!!!

On island time!!
Old 17-04-2016, 22:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Wasn't this brought up before, they said last year the kiosk was closing which is why they opened the shop wasn't it!!!!
Yes it was but why should the "money people" be allowed to take over from a long estiablished family run business ?. Tonight i have spoken to a few locals and they are furious about the situation, Valls is an institution which is used as much by the locals as it is by tourists and they are spoiling for a fight over this.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:10

La guerra del chiringito de Gelats Valls en el Puerto de Pollensa — EconomíadeMallorca | Noticias de actualidad económica y la última hora de Mallorca. Palma de Mallorca

(Google Translate)
Quote:
The controversy has broken out in the Port of Pollensa to account the possible closure of a beach bar ice cream. Located in the Paseo Anglada cameras for more than 50 years the small kiosk Gelats Valls has a municipal order closing but nevertheless continues to function and refuses to close the barrier.

Behind this collection of signatures there is much more history. At least that explains the consistory of Pollença. And it argues that in the previous legislature, more specifically the May 5, 2015, the City Council approved an extraordinary and improrrobable operating license of this place ended 31 December 2015. In this agreement the tender kiosk was planned for 2016.

According to the City "is a legal obligation that fixed kiosks in public domain are tendered and awarded with a public and open competition. The award without competition it implies administrative prevarication".

also it stresses that this kiosk reverted "to the City Council on January 1, 2016 and that the property of Gelats Valls knew which the kiosk can not be opened if the relevant authorization. Despite not having the corresponding administrative concession was decided to open" .
Old 18-04-2016, 10:20
Super Moderator

Obviously if it has to go out to tender who is going to be able to pay the highest price...........not a small family business .

The petition now has 3380 signatures in 24 hours.
Roy&Myra likes this.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:33

As I had imagined, there are always two sides to a story.

Over twenty years, ago the Valls family signed an agreement with the town hall stating that on the 1st of January 2016 they would move or close the Kiosk.

This they are now refusing to do and have launched the appeal to try and persuade the town hall to extend same, even though they were given permission to open the ice cream store just up the road.

This, for obvious reasons, the town hall can´t realistically do.

The other problem is that Costas "own" the land the bars have their terraces.

Legally, the town hall can´t let people who want a larger terrace extend this more that what is strictly outside their business.

On the other hand, Costas can and does, which starts a bidding war in between the different businesses.

Therefore around four years ago the townhall held an informal meeting with them getting them to agree that they would not start bidding for their neigbours terrace space.

This they did and a gentlemans pact has been in place ever since.

The long and short of it is that Valls will have to submit a bid to the town hall, something they could have done some time ago, to be able to use the same spot, IF the town hall, costas and all the businesses on the front agree, as at this moment, it is not legal.

Cafe 1919 aren´t as such causing the problem, although they would be pleased to see it moved somewhere a bit farther away and will not inhibit the townhall or Valls if a suitable location can be found that will make everybody happy.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:34

Was writing my post and have just seen the above article.

Seems that the person who gave me the information is right.
Old 18-04-2016, 10:38
Super Moderator

Seems to me that Cafe 1919 would be the only ones happy to see the hut gone.
animagic21 and martinchip10 like this.