Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 15:15

Default Question regarding sim cards & shopping

Hi Guys,
Myself & my family will be returning back to the Port at the end of July for two weeks (we cant wait).
This time to keep the cost down we are staying in a private apartment, but the apartment doesn't have TV or WiFi (The TV doesnt bother us, and the WiFi shouldnt but it does slightly, lol).

I have a MiFi and so plan to buy a sim either before we go (if possible) or one when we arrive (I am thinking 2Gb minimum will be enough).
So was hoping someone with any experience of using a sim (either buying beforehand or in the Port) maybe able to give me some good advise?

Also - the last time we came we found the big Eroski quite late in our holiday, but I have also seen that a lot of people say the HiperCentro is very good - what would people recommend for value at the moment?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Old 26-06-2015, 16:37
Super Moderator

There is lots of info here :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ta-sim-pp.html .
Watson306 likes this.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24

Thanks Sparky.
I have been doing a bit of research and it would appear that I maybe better with Vodafone. Also been advised that sometimes there are shops at the airport when you arrive selling sim cards (although I cant remember seeing one last time) apparently at spanish airports they are often called "Crystal media shop" - does anyone know if there is one at Palma Airport?
Old 03-07-2015, 23:01

Do check the link Sparky has provided. But be aware that things have moved on a little. It's technology, in'it. As is mentioned in the other thread check out UK Three mobile and their recent 'Feel at Home' scheme. It works well and saves the hassle of finding a Spanish sim. Set up your PAYGO 3 sim card in your MiFi and top up before you leave UK. Also setup a My3 account before you leave so that you can recharge whilst travelling.
Doing it this way means you can hit the beach running rather than having to trudge round seeking a Spanish sim card.
Nick likes this.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:52
Banned

Sounds good Clinkham. Can the sim card just be used for a mifi unit though and do you have to have a contract, I.e. paying monthly or is it pay as you go?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38

I have used it just for the MiFi on payasyougo. Curently £10 for 1Gb for a month. If you do pay on a monthly contract you get a better rate, but of course you get the data month after month whether you need to use it or not. I just bag a months worth on PAYGO as and when I am away from my Virgin Cable.

I haven't used three for my mobile, but I guess it would work in a similar way.
Nick likes this.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:59

Clinkham - I have read that you are not permitted to tether with the 3 feel at home offer.
Are you sure it works?

I have been advised that Vodafone do a 4g data only sim called "Internet móvil prepago", which apparently is 1.5gb for 15 euros. Does look decent if true.

Many Thanks

Last edited by Watson306; 04-07-2015 at 11:07.
Old 04-07-2015, 15:44

I spent most of May hospital visiting on the Costa del Sol. 3 'feel at home' worked fine in the MiFi.

as I didn't use 3 for my phone. don't know about tethering. I think someone on a similar thread on here did mention that you couldn't use the tethering feature on the smartphone.
Old 04-07-2015, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
I spent most of May hospital visiting on the Costa del Sol. 3 'feel at home' worked fine in the MiFi.

as I didn't use 3 for my phone. don't know about tethering. I think someone on a similar thread on here did mention that you couldn't use the tethering feature on the smartphone.
I assume then that you are only sharing your interent connection with one device? Otherwise I am sure it would be classed as tethering.
Which is the problem I have in that I wish to share my connection with at least 3/4 devices which is why I purchased a MiFi - and that would be classed as tethering.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:17

I can assure you that it does work, i.e. connecting multiple devices via wifi. A MiFi unit is clearly not classed as 'tethering' in the same way as a smartphone is. Suggest you work your way through the support pages on the 3 website, phone 3 or drop into your local Three shop to enquire.
El Gordo, Nick and Watson306 like this.

Last edited by clinkham; 05-07-2015 at 01:20.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkham View Post
I can assure you that it does work, i.e. connecting multiple devices via wifi. A MiFi unit is clearly not classed as 'tethering' in the same way as a smartphone is. Suggest you work your way through the support pages on the 3 website, phone 3 or drop into your local Three shop to enquire.
Hi Clinkham,
I didnt mean to sound rude, but I have done quiete a bit of research and what you have said totally contradicts other peoples experiences - I will pop into a three store and see what they say.

Obviously my concern is that I dont want to get over there and the best laid plans dont work. But I guess the worse that can happen is that I will have to hunt around for a sim card - If that is the case, what would be the minimum top up you can put on the three sim?

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2015, 17:30

Just for anyone reading this in the future:
I called three today and was put through to sales, who advised that you would used there sim abroad (he was more keen on trying to sell me a rolling monthly contract sim), but he assured me it would work.
I am going to give it a go anyway when we arrive on the 21st.

Clinkham - If I do the pay as you go sim (which because I work for a well known telecommunications company and get discount off my mobile contract it makes sense than being tied into a new contract), do you have to put any specific package on to get the 1gb?
Old 06-07-2015, 20:28
Banned

I'm very interested in the whole Three set-up for ease as Clinkham states.

I went into a Three shop today and was absolutely assured that their sim works in Spain.

They have a choice of two Huaweii mifi's, one a 3G and the other a 4G.
The 3G is £50 and the 4G is £60 but it includes 3 months worth of 3gb, so you have three months to use it or use the 3gb, whichever comes first, if that makes sense.

If you then register with them you can top up online and the clever app shows you your usage and warns you when it gets low even!

The whole package seems very reasonably priced and too good to be true to be honest. The beauty of Three is that there are no roaming charges so it will piggyback onto the local network. I know nothing about these sort of things so hope this is all correct, although I'm pretty sure it is.

I'm 99 per cent sure this will be my choice of use for portable wifi. Will keep the forum updated.
Old 06-07-2015, 21:53

I am very tempted to pop into Three shop tomorrow i bought an unlocked huaweii mifi unit last year ( 3g) and used a Digi data only ( it was the only one I could get) sim in the port 10€ for 1gb it worked ok but had a bit of bother connecting to internet initially and again when I retured in April and topped up . It may well be worth a shot ..I am also with another mobile provider but I am assuming that you can use the Three sim just for the data

Eating Out
Old 07-07-2015, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathB View Post
I am very tempted to pop into Three shop tomorrow i bought an unlocked huaweii mifi unit last year ( 3g) and used a Digi data only ( it was the only one I could get) sim in the port 10€ for 1gb it worked ok but had a bit of bother connecting to internet initially and again when I retured in April and topped up . It may well be worth a shot ..I am also with another mobile provider but I am assuming that you can use the Three sim just for the data
Hi Cath,
They do a (data) broadband only sim pre loaded with either 1gb or 3gb of data, and they seem reasonable. So far it looks like Argos is cheaper for the 3gb sim (£19.99).

Thanks for everyones comments on here - I know I must have sounded slightly rude before (apologies Clinkham), I have to admit I had ruled out the three sim, but it does look to be the best hassle free option.

Back to my original post tho, and the question regarding the supermarkets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson306 View Post
Also - the last time we came we found the big Eroski quite late in our holiday, but I have also seen that a lot of people say the HiperCentro is very good - what would people recommend for value at the moment?
I have also read peoples comments on the Lidl, but at the moment I am unsure if we are going to hire a car or not - can you get a bus there?

Many Thanks