Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Shopping (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/)
-   -   Butcher's shops in PP? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/shopping/12114-butchers-shops-pp.html)

SandySunshine 18-05-2015 18:26

Butcher's shops in PP?

Hi everyone
I would really like to find a 'proper' butcher's shop in Puerto Pollensa or thereabouts. Do such things exist here? Through a combination of Leccion 4 of my Spanish course and Google Translate, I have discovered the minced 'beef' I've been buying from the supermarket is actually only 70% 'vacuno' and contains all sorts of other nasties I'm not meant to eat. Eeek! (Restricted diet due to health reasons). Help anyone please?

fil6699 18-05-2015 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandySunshine (Post 103469)
Hi everyone
I would really like to find a 'proper' butcher's shop in Puerto Pollensa or thereabouts. Do such things exist here? Through a combination of Leccion 4 of my Spanish course and Google Translate, I have discovered the minced 'beef' I've been buying from the supermarket is actually only 70% 'vacuno' and contains all sorts of other nasties I'm not meant to eat. Eeek! (Restricted diet due to health reasons). Help anyone please?

Actually if you go to the Meat counter in Eroski they will mince meat fresh for you If that helps

Sparky 18-05-2015 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fil6699 (Post 103470)
Actually if you go to the Meat counter in Eroski they will mince meat fresh for you If that helps

They do the same in HiperCentro ;).

kate1 18-05-2015 23:16

There are actual butcher's shops too - I've definitely seen at least one in the port and there is one in the old town too - sorry, don't know the addresses as I've only noticed them in passing. The one in the old town wasn't far from the children's playground - we parked the car in a side street and I remember walking past a butcher's (very busy) if that's any help! But someone on this very helpful site will know, I'm sure!

Sparky 18-05-2015 23:41

Kate, both of the butchers have closed down now in the Port :(.

kate1 19-05-2015 11:13

Oh no! There is definitely still one in the old town though (or there was in April!) Maybe the lack of competition is why it was so well-used!

The small BIP supermarket in the 'parking' square in Pollensa also has a good fresh meat counter but I'm not sure whether it would contain additives. If you can bear to go all the way to Al Campo to buy your meat they do have a fairly small selection of organic meat, which I assume would be less likely to contain additives.

Lorenzo 19-05-2015 12:03

There is a wonderful fresh meat counter & deli counter in Ensenyat in Pollensa. Their food is wonderful & I'm sure they would be able to tell you about the provenance of everything there. It's just along from the pharmacy at the start of the pedestrianised area as you walk along to the main square. Well worth a visit! They also have a wine cellar & a great selection of fresh breads. ☺

Sparky 19-05-2015 14:27

There is a butcher in Pollensa Town who supplies a number of restaurants in PP, including El Posito and La Vall, i am afraid i don't know the name but it is close to the main bus stop, overlooking the rough car park (i think it's still there) opposite the children's playpark.

SandySunshine 19-05-2015 15:33

Thanks very much everyone. Now I have lots of options :)

kate1 19-05-2015 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 103489)
There is a butcher in Pollensa Town who supplies a number of restaurants in PP, including El Posito and La Vall, i am afraid i don't know the name but it is close to the main bus stop, overlooking the rough car park (i think it's still there) opposite the children's playpark.

That's the one I was thinking of, Sparky! - they were certainly doing a roaring trade when we walked past. The meat we have had at both those restaurants has been amazing - the mixed grill at La Vall was second to none - so that's a very good recommendation.

I have a feeling that the two Ensenats in the old town also have fresh meat counters - I'm pretty sure the newer of the two, opposite Pan Nord, does anyway.

Lorenzo got there first! - so it looks like both the Ensenats would be another option to consider.

Sparky 19-05-2015 18:29

Kate, i should have added that the butcher is the brother in law of La Vall's owner :D.

Sparky 09-10-2015 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 103496)
Kate, i should have added that the butcher is the brother in law of La Vall's owner :D.

Good news, he is going to re-open the old Ca'n Mateu shop across the road from La Vall :D.

Sparky 14-10-2015 13:18

The new shop opens on Monday 19th October and will be called "La Vall" ;).

Molt de Renou 19-02-2016 18:41

Has anyone had any experience of shopping there ?

I walked past what seemed to be a reasonable one called Eu Serral, on the road leading into Pollensa just after the school.

Just wondered if also somebody had tried them.

romanb 19-02-2016 19:41

We have been to El Surrel for our meat and is was very good but its not really a butchers they have a butchers counter but also cooked meat and general other produce not unlike Ensenat but less expensive.