Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Shopping

Shopping Looking to buy something specific? Want to recommend a favourite shop or market?

Like Tree26Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 5 Post By Bails
  • 2 Post By whaleywanderer
  • 4 Post By lollipop
  • 6 Post By kate1
  • 2 Post By pollensa
  • 2 Post By roig cat
  • 1 Post By animagic21
  • 2 Post By eleanor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 16:02

Default Be Carefull in Lidl (or anywhere for that matter)

I had my wallet lifted while I was in Lidl this morning. It was in a zipped pocket on the side of my trousers. Thinking back I know when it happened. I was blocked in front and to the side by two guys with shopping trolleys. While the one in front kept my attention dodging from one side to the other looking as if he was trying to get by the one at the side must have removed my wallet. Needless to say by the time I had realised what had happened they were well gone.

But it could have been worse -

Less than an hour later I got a call from a Swiss cyclists who had found it lying in the road near Sa Pobla. Luckily my business card was inside. Luckier still the thieves were only after cash. All my other cards, credit, debit, medical, driving licence were still there.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 16:09
Banned

Not good news but then like you say this happens everywhere these days. Thanks for the warning. Good honest work by the finder going out of his way to pick it up and then contact you though.

As an aside, what did these "people" look like so we can all be aware at least, that is indeed if it was them but then that seems like the typical distraction type theft carried out by certain people.
cumberland8 and scouse mark like this.
Old 02-10-2014, 16:27

The frequency of pickpocket activity at Lidl and also at the Eroski store in La Font is clearly worrying. We regularly use both stores and try to heed the advice offered by other forum posters. However I remember using Lidl in February 2014 when the store was virtually empty and was amazed to find a security guard operating around the store. I anticipated that this would be a regular feature in response to the pick pocketing problem, but it seems to have only been a short term response. I know the local police may not give priority to these crimes but does anyone know the level of CCTV coverage provided by Lidl. I meant to have a look in September when we were over but completely forgot about it. Full marks to the cyclists who at least provided some assistance to Deanscroft.
Old 02-10-2014, 23:15

CCTV over each check out would deter this type of crime and for a large organisation like Lidl and Eroski for that matter, the cost of installation would be insignificant. These crimes are happening on a daily basis.
CathB and lollipop like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06

Deanscroft, sorry to hear you lost your money but really glad the rest was intact. Well Done to the cyclist who returned it to you.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17

Sorry to hear about your experience - as you say, it could have been worse in terms of what was lost, but it's really unnerving to be the victim of a crime.

I've always been a bit wary of that Eroski, largely because it seems to be predominantly used by tourists who are much more likely to be carrying large amounts of cash - it must be seen as an easy target by criminal gangs. Personally I prefer the Hiper in the Port - for one thing it isn't so busy, the aisles are wider so it would be hard to hem someone in with a trolley, and it is predominantly used by locals. It's much better than Eroski too.
LK1960, Sparky, animagic21 and 3 others like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 20:12
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I know the local police may not give priority to these crimes but does anyone know the level of CCTV coverage provided by Lidl. I meant to have a look in September when we were over but completely forgot about it.
According to what I've read on Facebook by another victim, they do not have CCTV - can anyone confirm this? We normally just go to Hiper.
CathB and Sparky like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 20:49

Discovered Hiper this summer, like a tardis in there! We were very impreesed and will use in future. The staff were very friendly too.
CathB and Sparky like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44

Where is Hiper ?? Use the small Eroski in town or the various Spar shops for milk etc
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Where is Hiper ?? Use the small Eroski in town or the various Spar shops for milk etc
It's in C/ Vicente Buades .
Old 04-10-2014, 13:53

We use the Hiper when we visit as is the most reasonably priced. Has an extensive range of gluten free food as well this year.
Old 04-10-2014, 14:27

Meat & fish great there also.
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 16:02

Must disagree about Hiper, we use it in the winter but when we went in a few weeks ago it was very scruffy and the shelves were half empty! Perhaps it had just been hit by the villa renters, but we prefer Eroski on the roundabout, much brighter and welcoming and have never had any issues in there.
Also if it is happening everyday in Lidil don't go in there, vote with your feet and force them to do something about its thats the only way when they see their profits dropping

On island time!!
Old 04-10-2014, 16:38

Good idea SWS in theory but to be honest I don't think they would think that far ahead as to question why their profits might be lower. I don't think they would put the security issue as a reason. They might just close the store.

Perhaps the best way forward would be for people to write to the head office or contact them via Facebook and leave the feedback. If they who matter (i.e. the directors who are the decision makers) are not aware of the issue then they can't do anything about it. To report at local level is not enough to find change, in my opinion.

An awful situation and I feel really angry and upset for those who have been a target. The other or maybe the as well as option would be to keep writing/phoning/ emailing the police who must be fed up with the continous form filling. Remember though that just reporting a crime to the police is a little business industry in it's own right for the translators. Even if the police speak perfect English the forms need to be completed in local language.

Perhaps constant contact with the directors of Lidl might be the most productive of answers as they could just pay for a few cameras and a couple of security guys and the problem might just go away - or move on!
animagic21 and Lorenzo like this.