Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 4 Post By Siralf
  • 6 Post By Deanscroft
  • 2 Post By James
  • 1 Post By its cd
  • 1 Post By pollensafan
  • 2 Post By Tonsyl
  • 2 Post By roig cat
  • 1 Post By Smiddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 19:32

Default Rose Tinted Glasses

Recently there have numerous threads expressing opinions as to the rights and wrongs of the direction they see the resort heading.
“The Front Line” with the demise of unique individually owned gift and cloths shops coupled with the growing number of Asian owned ones.
The outcry over the “Tex Mex” ever expanding empire, Burger King, Matchpoint sports bar
The closure in recent years of restaurants & Bars such as Bon Profitt, Suttons, La Piazza, Bona Cepa, Los Pescadores, Can Andreu, Miguelon, La Roca, original Neptuno, Balaxia, Can Paciente, Trotters,The Nags Head, Mollies Cafe and yes OLUME,
The reason for the Majority closing was not enough custom to stay open, you only have to venture into the supermarkets during the tourist season to see a large part of the problem. People with 2 & 3 trolleys filled to the brim to eat and drink in their villas and apartments. For bars and restaurants that’s as bad as AI.
Although we can all look back with fond memories of how the resort was
this is not the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s it’s 2013 and market forces dictate. Businesses are doing what they deem necessary to survive, whether it is the upmarket restaurant that’s now serving “English Breakfast” at 9.30 in the mornings, more pasta and other cheaper dishes appearing on menus, more advertising “Takeaways”, bars doing “Happy Hour” and offering “House”spirits.

Puerto Pollensa this place we all love has been and is still suffering due to the world crisis that has affected us all.
Sponsored Links
Old 28-03-2013, 20:10

And then they go and cut their own throats by passing a law to try and stop private apartment rentals !!!!!! Just who do they think it is that spends the money in the shops, supermarkets and bars? Well it isn´t the guests in the all-inclusive hotels is it!
Mark, Belladonna, Rosie34 and 3 others like this.
Old 29-03-2013, 15:29

Places & people may be suffering but there are, in my opinion, a lot more people here this Easter - and with more places open than most Easters - and it is a relatively early Easter this year.

The Port is buzzing at the moment & long may it continue!
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 29-03-2013, 16:55

Agreed

We arrived Monday evening and each day since I swear the number of people around the port has doubled
Also places seem to be reopening each day
Looking goid
Sparky likes this.
Old 29-03-2013, 17:11

Can only say it as I see it and over the last 12-18 months I have noticed a massive increase in the visitor numbers. Last september was the busiest i have seen it for a long time.
Sparky likes this.
Old 29-03-2013, 21:51

Visitor numbers are fine, but are those visitors spending their cash or just taking in the views............which are free of course. Let's hope the business tills in the Port are working overtime this year.
Rosie34 and Nick like this.
Old 30-03-2013, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
Visitor numbers are fine, but are those visitors spending their cash or just taking in the views............which are free of course. Let's hope the business tills in the Port are working overtime this year.
I suspect sadly not spending - I saw in January coaches loads of visitors being dropped off .they wandered along the Pine Walk and the got back on their coaches and continued with their excursion no doubt to a pre booked lunch , the odd one or two had a coffee but not many.

Also I witnessed a couple daily ! sitting in a favoured cafe - making a coffee last well over an hour , reading all the newsapapers and plugging in their laptops yes two laptops ! to the mains and surfing and then leaving NOT leaving a tip much to the waiters disgust.
Old 31-03-2013, 10:25

How rude! That makes my blood boil.
Belladonna and Smiddy like this.
Old 31-03-2013, 11:19

If you can't afford it, you can't! But if you can you really should try and support the local businesses, if you don't then your favourite restaurant/bar might not be there the next time you visit. Personally i'd rather not go on holiday if it mean't scrimping and saving, and spending hours over one coffee, where's the fun in that?
ragdollabbi likes this.