Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By pollensa
  • 1 Post By Belladonna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 18:47
Founder

Default A brief weekend in Pollenca Town!

We've been visiting PP for over 20 years now & although we regularly go in to the town, we've only eat out in the evening there 2 or 3 times – we like walking to the restaurant (& home)! This weekend we had a little treat & booked a night at the petit hotel Son Sant Jordi. So Saturday morning, instead of parking easily on the outskirts as usual, we negotiated the terrifyingly narrow roads up beyond the square to find the hotel. We couldn't stop (another car up our back side), so another tour down even tighter streets, cars parked all along – good thing some of them had their wing mirrors in – and this time S. (husband) dropped me outside to ask for the ‘parking’. The reception area is a little vague & may be at the hotel entrance or it may be at no. 27 around the corner (along with talking parrot). Finally a young girl who only spoke Spanish appeared & very trustingly gave me a key & map – we hadn't even checked in yet. Back in the car we went back down the road, turned left, then right & found the gate in the wall. Shared with a Citroen garage, the hotel has 7 or 8 parking spaces – excellent. Back at the hotel, we met the owner who directed us to room 3 – already available at 11:30 am. Our room was St Antoni (after the fiesta – there was also La Patrona & la Feria), very rustic with terracotta floors, marble walls, a sort of four- poster bed, free wifi and the odd power cut (that only lasted a few minutes). We had a side view on to their lovely garden. If the weather had been better we could have enjoyed the pool, sun loungers, covered sun-room with sofas and honesty bar. Unfortunately, it was rather wet but next time…

After dumping our cases, I had to hurry to my appointment with Alison for her wonderful Thai Massage – this time I had a relaxing foot massage, back & shoulders and facial … mmm. She also does ten minute taster sessions at the Son Sant Jordi Monday afternoons – another reason to pay them a visit. Next stop, lunch of Pa Amb Oli & fresh orange juice at Numero Ocho in the square. I’m not sure why but the square was pretty quiet and the town seemed a lot less busy than the port. The weather was holding off so we had a quick look around at some recommended restaurants to choose one for dinner. We chose Cantonet (good choice!), bought a very indulgent croissant filled with cream & almonds at a patisserie and strolled back to the hotel.

7pm we were back on the square. Some of the shops had opened and people were enjoying evening drinks but it still wasn’t that busy. The new bar/restaurant called something like ‘CT’ (?) were promoting Mojitos 3.80 (or a supersize one for a little more) – standard size was fine along with free peanuts & a portion olives.

8pm on to Cantonet. The staff were very friendly, apologising that we couldn’t sit outside that evening – well we could if we chose to risk it! To start we chose an aubergine dish plus 2 different fish dishes to follow. But I was also tempted by the enormous variety of interesting ravioli (we WILL be back). As soon as we had ordered, Cava ‘on the house’ arrived along with a little brushetta with ham – a lovely touch. The food especially the fish was excellent. I was even more impressed that they had asked if I wanted my Lubina a la Mallorquina filleted.( I’d had the same dish at La Fonda last year and it was so difficult filleting a whole fish covered in a thick sauce spinach, pine nut and raisins, I’d had to ask the waiter.) We shared a massive lemon sorbet. The meal including glasses of rose, water, coffees etc (& of course Limoncello on the house) came 69 EUR.

This morning (Sunday) we had hoped to go the market and Celler El Moli for lunch but the torrential rain put paid to that. Instead we made the most of the breakfast at Son Sant Jordi including their home-made jam – sweet orange, lemon, figs – sliced cheeses, cold meats, fresh pineapple, hot dishes of spicy sausages, courgettes, fresh breads and pastries from a local bakers – we didn’t really need lunch anyway!
debz1, Mark, Doogz1874 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 30-09-2012, 18:54

Sounds lovely! Is this the hotel adjoining the church? If so, my OH usually sneaks in there for a pee after we have been to the church on a Sunday morning! But I never realised they had parking spaces or a garden or pool
Old 30-09-2012, 20:39

Sounds lovely Pollensa. Cantonet has always been one of our favourites, and it's beautiful on the terrace so you must go back when the weather's better. And the freshly made ravioli with the huge selection of fillings is amazing. They do starter portions too as well as mains
Old 30-09-2012, 22:26
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Sounds lovely! Is this the hotel adjoining the church? If so, my OH usually sneaks in there for a pee after we have been to the church on a Sunday morning! But I never realised they had parking spaces or a garden or pool
Yes that's it. We heard the church bells this morning. It's amazing how many of these tiny hotels and town-houses have pools and courtyard gardens - you just can't tell from the outside.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49

A friend of ours also stayed at the same hotel a few years ago whilst they were looking for their new property to buy. They had a similar experience regarding the parking, but hadn't needed to use the key to get in as the gate was already open. It was late at night and they just thankfully drove in and parked.
The following morning they returned to get their car and found the gates shut, no place for a key and they needed a code to open the gate. They returned to the hotel to ask for the code, only to be told that they didn't have a code, just the key. After a bit of a discussion, it became obvious that they had parked in a private car park, and not the one for the Hotel! They returned to the carpark and for some reason decided to climb over the gate to get inside. They then had to sit in the car until someone came to get their own car out!
Lorenzo likes this.