Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 09:04

Default Patient alive and well

Hi Folks, Just back from 3 glorious weeks and I have to say that in the many years I have been out in september I have never repeat never seen it so busy. Beach packed, bars packed and restaurants packed. Long may it continue. Just a shame that it seems according to the news that my wife and I are not the sort of people the government wants. Our crime? We rent private accommodation. Tell you one thing. With an average spend of 800-1000 euros a week in bars and restaurants I say to them, " You would like the island full of people like us".
its cd, debz1, Mark and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-09-2012, 09:31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensafan View Post
Hi Folks, Just back from 3 glorious weeks and I have to say that in the many years I have been out in september I have never repeat never seen it so busy. Beach packed, bars packed and restaurants packed. Long may it continue. Just a shame that it seems according to the news that my wife and I are not the sort of people the government wants. Our crime? We rent private accommodation. Tell you one thing. With an average spend of 800-1000 euros a week in bars and restaurants I say to them, " You would like the island full of people like us".
Well said and we agree with you. Also thought the bars/restaurants were busier in September even more so than the last week in August. Some restaurant staff seemed to disagree but to the naked eye it was busier than it has been for some years.
Sparky and pollensafan like this.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:34

Originally Posted by pollensafan

- we too thought it was busier when were there at the start of July - several friends who have restaurants/bars said that although there seemed to be a lot more people they were not spending..the hotel deals were not that good for business in general..

Therefore as Pollensafan says we will continue to boost the economy by renting apartments and spending our money in the port - Roll on Saturday
Sparky and pollensafan like this.

Eating Out
Old 27-09-2012, 14:03

Palma airport was extremely busy when we arrived Sunday morning. The port is not too quite , but it,s far from busy! Restaurants i,ve been to are on the quite side, but the supermarkets are busy, so i suppose a lot of people are cooking in. Personaly i wouldn,t bother, 2 of us went to the Luna de Mel last night, wife had homemade tomato soup, i hot and sour (delicious) followed by steamed fish in ginger with vegetable noodles, washed down by a bottle of very decent house white. Total bill was 36 euros. Why bother cooking? Your on holiday.
Doogz1874 and lollipop like this.
Old 27-09-2012, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Palma airport was extremely busy when we arrived Sunday morning. The port is not too quite , but it,s far from busy! Restaurants i,ve been to are on the quite side, but the supermarkets are busy, so i suppose a lot of people are cooking in. Personaly i wouldn,t bother, 2 of us went to the Luna de Mel last night, wife had homemade tomato soup, i hot and sour (delicious) followed by steamed fish in ginger with vegetable noodles, washed down by a bottle of very decent house white. Total bill was 36 euros. Why bother cooking? Your on holiday.
Just goes to show the difference a week can make
Old 27-09-2012, 18:52

Interesting comments about the perception of busy or quiet. We are just back, flew out of Palma on the 24th. and we thought the port was quieter than when we normally travel in October. Certainly some restaurants were busy, very busy in fact but some were struggling, read into that what you will! Some bars were likewise in terms of trade but overall we wouldn't say the port was heaving by any means. A couple of local business people said that they thought the majority of visitors (self caterers) were not eating out as often as in the past, maybe down to once every other day. Whatever, the general opinion seemed to be that, after a slow start in the early season, things had got much better later.
Belladonna and lollipop like this.
Old 28-09-2012, 09:56

I was out for the last two weeks of August - and can honestly say that I've seen it busier over the Whitsun week in the past. A couple of Bar & Restaurant owner friends were blaming the lack of trade in the evenings on the hotels running all inclusive packages - hence the beaches being packed during the day, but far fewer people out in the evenings. Our caretakers tell us that their cleaners have noticed a marked increase in the amount of work they have to do cleaning kitchens in apartments over the last few years. Understandably it looks as if more and more people are watching their Euros and eating in.
lollipop likes this.
Old 28-09-2012, 13:20

We were out in PP during the first two weeks of September and have done exactly that timescale many times in the past.

We felt that it was markedly busier this year than in all previous years for early Sept.
Old 28-09-2012, 16:02

Default busy ?

I agree that for the last two weeks in August the beach was far busier than I have seen for the last few years, but nightime where did all the people go ?
Also the numbers were there but not spending except in the supermarkets.
Old 28-09-2012, 20:40
Banned

We came out for just over two weeks from the 7th September and thought it was the busiest September we'd ever seen at that time.

I really hope that the all inclusive hotels don't take off. They're just not suitable or right in PP in my opinion. There are plenty of other resorts for them.
Old 28-09-2012, 23:07

We too thought early September was busy and bustling.

I have a theory that many of the August visitors are different to the visitors seen in the port at other times

In August you will have families with school age children on their summer holiday, they are families who have worked hard for their 2 weeks in the sun and will have paid more than at any other time of the year just to fly out and rent their accommodation. Some will be new visitors to Puerto Pollensa rather than regular visitors who have their favourite restaurants. These families may not be able to afford to pay for themselves and their older school age children to eat out ...... Lets face it by the time kids are 10 or 11 most of them will eat a full sized adult meal and even with careful budgeting 2 weeks of family dinners and a couple of drinks is likely to set a family back around 1500 euros ...... A lot of money when added to daytime snacks, activities such as kayaking, bike hire, boat trips etc plus ice creams etc.

During other months visitors are either regulars who choose to budget to eat out every night because for them that is part of the PP experience or they are older couples or families with pre school children who will eat out each evening because meals for the tiny kiddies cost next to nothing. Also they have not paid anything like as much to get to PP or rent accommodation.
Old 29-09-2012, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
I really hope that the all inclusive hotels don't take off. They're just not suitable or right in PP in my opinion. There are plenty of other resorts for them.
Please expand on the '' just not suitable or right ''
Old 29-09-2012, 19:02

Tiggy I won't presume to know what original poster means but personally I don't know why anyone would want to go all inclusive unless they were visiting somewhere that did not have sufficient good quality restaurants to eat in or somewhere that was unsafe to roam around after dark
PP doesn't fit either criteria and so in my opinion there is no requirement for All Inclusive Hotels.

Why would you want yo come somewhere like PP that has so many great quality eateries and nice friendly ambient bars just to spend each evening eating in the same hotel dining room ..... I really don't see the logic especially when for an AI hotel to offer dining of a better quality as most of the good PP restaurants it would need to be at least 4star which would prove to be far more expensive than renting a nice apartment and eating out each evening at a venue of your choice.
Mark, marilyn, tangofan and 4 others like this.
Old 29-09-2012, 20:34
Banned

Sure Tiggy, no problem.

Firstly, as stated, this is just my opinion. PP is a small resort that mainly caters for rental villas, apartments and owners. This is just the way it is. Therefore you have an abundance of eateries such as cafe's and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets.

If you start getting the hotels deciding that "all inclusive" is their thing then this will inevitably start to force eateries out of business. This will then lead to boarded-up premises, as in these financial times no-one will take them over. You will therefore get a small and friendly resort looking distinctly unattractive and put off the certain clientele that choose PP for its charm.

Yes, you could argue that "alll inclusive" would bring in people spending money but you will find that by choosing an "all inclusive" option they will not spend much outside of their hotel on food as this would defeat the object.

I'm no snob by the way as in the past I've enjoyed several "all inclusive" holidays but I personally think they would be detrimental to a resort such as PP and what it actually represents.

As with everything in life, there's something for everyone!!
lollipop and KWUK2 like this.

Last edited by Nick; 29-09-2012 at 20:37.
Old 29-09-2012, 21:44

This from yesterdays Daily Telegraph business pages -

"The travel giant (TUI Travel) behind brands such as Thomson and First Choice said households were increasingly opting for breaks that include food and drink in destinations such as Majorca and Turkey as a way of sticking to tight budgets.

“[All inclusive] gives them greater certainty in terms of their holiday budget and that is proving very popular,” said Peter Long, the holiday giant’s chief executive."

You can see which way the wind is blowing. The guy has a point. The certainty of cost is a big plus in these difficult times. That said, I hope this dosen't take off in PP. Eating out etc is a big part of our holiday -to be restricted to an All Inclusive hotel site and canteen food holds no attraction for me.
Perhaps a big plus is that PP has few hotels that would lend themselves to all inclusive. I hope!
lollipop likes this.