Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27

Default Recession in Spain

Hi,
I visited Puerto Pollensa, two years ago, and had a brilliant time.
Wonderful beach, fantastic food etc

Last year went to Nerja, and also had a great time ( although preferred Puerto Pollensa)

This year we we visited The La Manga Strip which was so dissapointing, so many shops, bars and restaurants shut down. Hundreds of premises and apartments for sale. ( quite depressing)' it felt like we were out of season, but in fact went in August! If I had the money I would have hopped on a plane to Puerto Pollensa.

Just wondering how Puerto Pollensa is bearing up. I would be so sad to think it could be the same case.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05

Aah, I presume bt the fact I have had no replies, things aren't,t so great their either !
Old 07-09-2012, 12:19

Speaking as a tourist, to be honest no real change, it was busy in August although more people seemed to eat in, but thats a lot to do with the UK economy.
Some more places had closed, but some more had opened, so it didn't feel 'out of season' and there certainly isn't lots of places closed and shut up, well no more than usual anyway.
Did notice one thing, the locals are keen to have a good time whenever possible, which is understandable, so more reason to try and catch a fiesta, its sure to be a good party!
So, from a tourist's eye, bearing up well, locals may have different views!

On island time!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:21
Super Moderator

Some places have remained closed this summer but it doesn't seem to be anything like as bad as the picture you have painted of La Manga.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:38

Hello,
Thank you for your replies.
I am so glad Puerto Pollensa is not too affected, as it really is a jewel, and I have been 'singing' it's praises ever since my visit. I guess because it's a working town that helps.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49
Super Moderator

Sorry (internet playing up) i should have added that some businesses have invested a great deal of money. The Hotel Mar Calma opened this year after many years of being closed up, the Uyal, Daina Apts, Capri and Hostal Paris have also had a major refurb. Bars Circulo Cultural, La Roda and La Taperia have opened after being closed for a while.
Mar Calma, Eolo and i am told Hostal Paris are planning to remain open throughout the winter so all in all things are looking quite positive in PP .
Old 07-09-2012, 13:26

If our trip in Early August is anything to go by, I honestly don't think I've ever seen the place busier. We usually end up at Joker Bar in an evening and most tables were occupied - perhaps because the Olympics were on, I don't know? But it all seemed pretty bouyant to me.

Duncan
Sparky and MairiCladach like this.
Old 07-09-2012, 14:42

We found it really busy in June even and restaurant tables were hard to find in some places

We visit a friends place on the Costa del Sol each year and there are lots of bars closed there but it is the British ones and lots more Spanish Restaurants and tapas bars are opening up in their place Not too much property up for sale but I believe away from the coast there is
Old 07-09-2012, 14:59

And I am still struggling to find a parking space!!. There still seem to be a fair amount of hire cars about.
Old 07-09-2012, 15:13

Default Recession in Spain

Nice to know the port has been busy, maybe it's about time we closed this site down, too many people finding out about it
Old 07-09-2012, 17:59

Its Busy now for September usually allot of people about in September but even now the Schools are all back in the UK the Port is still Busy which is great. Then come October we start to get the Cyclists all the way through to April when it all starts again so in answer to your question PP is alive and kicking and is still that precious Jewel
pollensa, sws97sdg, LK1960 and 7 others like this.
Old 08-09-2012, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Its Busy now for September usually allot of people about in September but even now the Schools are all back in the UK the Port is still Busy which is great. Then come October we start to get the Cyclists all the way through to April when it all starts again so in answer to your question PP is alive and kicking and is still that precious Jewel
Fil, Think they call that the "silver pound" meaning the more mature tend to favour then, think i was a founder member.
lollipop likes this.
Old 08-09-2012, 18:26
Banned

Just arrived myself and it's as busy a September here as I've ever seen.

Mallorca could not be any more different to mainland Spain, it's an affluent part of the country with lots of money invested here. No comparison so do not worry.
Old 11-09-2012, 22:35
Super Moderator

Someone is obviously confident, i have just watched a guy put up a poster for the re-opening of a bar that has been closed for a while. "Xarou" in C/Tramuntana will be open from 10pm on Friday 14th.
lollipop likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 16:51

Good to see it's still busy! In fact, have just made a last minute booking for the last week in September - I was surprised as to how difficult it was to find somewhere. Tell me, Sparky (weather guru extraordinaire!), as I've never visited this late in the year, is it still "eating out" weather in late Sept? Will the same eateries still be open in the Old town?