Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By jamesfshaw
  • 1 Post By richardk
  • 6 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Molly38

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 18:46

Default Pickpockets

Hi
I noticed there has been some posts of pickpockets lately. We have been coming to Pollensa for eight years & have always felt safe. We are coming out the first week in October & I am getting worried. Is Pollensa still safe
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 18:59
Super Moderator

Hi Molly this has been discussed on this thread :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...-security.html, i think that while there is a rise in this sort of crime in and around PP, we all agree that it is happening everywhere and PP is still much safer than most other places. You just have to be on your guard .
sws97sdg, lollipop and eleanor like this.
Old 05-09-2012, 20:10

Smile

Hi Sparky
Thank you that has put my mind at rest. Love Pollensa
Old 05-09-2012, 21:50

Molly! As Sparky says, just be vigilant and try not to give them any opportunities, highly unlikely any locals are involved. I would recommend you get one of these pre-paid credit cards and load just about everything on it. You can then lift your cash as you need it from the many ATM,s in the port, pay any purchases,and use it in the bars and restaurants. You have a code to use, even if a thief gets his/her hands on one it is useless, it will be replaced, quickly, if lost or stolen.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:59

Default Pickpockets

The places to be especially careful are where you rub shoulders with a number of others. Such as the markets.
Early this year my wife had her bag dipped into whilst buying something from a stall. Shw lost all her credit cards and cash.
So only take with you what you are going to use.
Do not have an open bag containing a purse.
Best wear a money belt.
Be aware and alert at all times.
Having said that eventually it becomes second nature.
Lorenzo and Nick like this.

Last edited by jamesfshaw; 06-09-2012 at 08:00. Reason: syntax
Old 06-09-2012, 08:54

Wink Pre-paid cash cards

We have been using pre-paid Euro cash cards for some years now and find them excellent. We happened to use the Virgin Money card a few years ago and this service is excellent. They actually send you two cards when you enroll; you authorise just one of them via a phone call and use this to get cash out of a hole-in-the-wall anywhere (only once had a not available service message from some obscure bank somewhere). You can also top it up from your UK bank account either via your smart phone or a telephone call. However, the clever bit (which hopefully I never have to use!) is that if your card gets stolen then you can immediately authorise the SECOND card and the balance you had on the previous card is transferred instantly. We keep the second card in the apartment safe knowing that we only have to get home to have cash available again. I don't know if other card providers do this second card trick but its a great feature from Virgin and makes you feel very "safe"
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:47

Pick-pockets are nothing new, i've been been a victim twice, once 27 years ago, and once 5 years ago. Both occasions were at the shops on the front, the ones the other side of the Sports Bar, pick-pockets will have their favourite spots, this is obviously one of them.
Old 06-09-2012, 22:17
Banned

As mentioned PP is no less safe than anywhere else in the world, indeed, probably a lot safer. Where you have tourists you'll always have thieves. They go hand in hand. The reason being we all take wads of cash and carry cards. We're also relaxing because we're on holiday so our guard is let down.

Just be sensible. If you're not going to use a credit card then why take it out with you? Hide it in your apartment/hotel. Take just a bit more cash than you need. You can always return to your rental accomodation to get more.

Keep handbags firmly closed and under your arm. Put wallets in front pockets or securely zipped ones.

A pickpocket will usually operate in a market place, shop/supermarket or bus stop etc. Anywhere where there's a hub of people so they can bump into you.

Just be alert and don't let anyone get too close. Also be aware of distractions by others, I.e. someone asks you to reach up to a shelf to get something for you or asks for directions or help.

Most of all, don't let these low-life's put you off. If we all stick to these basic principals maybe these undesirables will go elsewhere for their "pickings" !!

Happy holidays.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:12

Good Morning
Thank you so much for the advice. Am really looking forward to my holiday in Oct. Will take a look at the pre-paid cards.
Sparky likes this.
Closed Thread