Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree34Likes
  • 9 Post By Tonsyl
  • 2 Post By pollensafan
  • 3 Post By Rocajilly
  • 2 Post By PP_Kev
  • 7 Post By Smiddy
  • 3 Post By lollipop
  • 4 Post By Tonsyl
  • 2 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By Smiddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 15:26

Default A different way to get to Puerto Pollensa.

Due to a recently diagnosed medical problem, Mrs. T has been "grounded" as far as air travel is concerned, well for travel of more than "a quick hop". We were left with a problem in that we both like "short breaks" to PP and it's obviously too far to just hop in the car for a weekend away!
There's always an answer to every challenge and we decided to try the good old faithful..........the train and, how pleasantly surprised we were! OK, not cheap, when compared to low cost flights, not the quickest but, far better than we originally thought.
Route; London to Paris via Eurostar 2hrs and a bit. Across Paris on the RER service, about 20 minutes station to station. Paris to Barcelona via TGV and the new Spanish train, about 7 . 5 hours. Very comfortable seating on the Eurostar and TGV but a bit basic on the Renfe service between Figueres and Barcelona. Night in Barcelona then flight Barcelona to Palma, 30 minutes, with Vuelling and what a good outfit that is!
As I say, not the quickest but on the trains there are cafe/bars where you can sit and get decent drinks and snack meals. Good 4* hotel near to Barcelona Sants station, decent half board or enjoy eating out in the city. You can even take a good lunch in Paris "in between trains" if you want. In my book far better than sitting in a long cigar tube being treated like cattle most of the time but you do have to have the time.
The end result is that we got our break in PP when we really thought we wouldn't this year and we didn't need to twist the doctors arm too much to let "er indoors" fly for such a short time. We even considered the ferries but that would have been too long.
Not the quickest as I say but, if you have the time, it adds a couple to days to the holiday and you do see places from the train you never see by air !
In case anyone is wondering, yes we are planning longer stays again next year (doctors agreeing) and we'll be driving down complete with passenger, the dog who is still moaning that she missed her holiday this year.
If anyone is interested, look on the TGV pages on the web and the booking is very easy.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2012, 15:39

Thumbs up

What a fantastic journey Tony.

The draw of PP should not be underestimated!!

Best wishes to the missus and hope she makes a good recovery.

My FlickR Photos
Old 01-06-2012, 15:45

Tony. In answer to the question, Is there no lengths to which people will not go to get to dear old pp? Obviously not lol. When needs must ect-- More power to you .
El Gordo and Foodlover like this.
Old 01-06-2012, 16:01

Well done Tonsyl, what an adventure! Hope your wife recovers soon & thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2012, 16:18

A great trip report Tonsyl;
Might try it one day soon... Like you I would get to PP by hook or by crook
Old 01-06-2012, 17:44
Super Moderator

Tony what a fantastic post, it was nice to see you even though it was very briefly, i wish Syl a speedy recovery and i look forward to seeing you both and of course Katie when circumstances allow .
Old 05-06-2012, 20:40

Default Train adventure

Well done you! We did a similar trip in 2005. We did the complete journey from home to PP by public transport. Train to London, Eurostar to Paris, TGV to the Spanish border and then the Spanish train (yes, hard seats and a bit basic, but fantastic views near the French-Spanish border out to sea). We got the daytime catamaran from Barcelona to Palma, arriving as the sun was setting, then a taxi to the train station and the ride to Sa Pobla. The only worrying bit was arriving in the dark and trying to find a taxi, which we eventually did. Expensive and exhausting but a real sense of old fashioned travel.

I hope you had a good break in PP - nothing like some Mediterranean sun!
Sparky, Nick and URI like this.
Old 05-06-2012, 22:58

Due to doctors orders following surgery, my father in-law had to embark on the same trip to be at our wedding in PP. He loved every minute of it apart from the ferry crossing from Barcelona to Alcudia (at which he felt like hurded cattle). He recorded most of the trip on video, and its something me and my wife want to do some day (when I can get enough time off work).

We have often thought about driving down to, but its the price of getting the car accros to the island which has put us off.
anne10aber and Sparky like this.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07

Thats the spirit! I wasn't going to post about my own problems, but i'll let you know anyway. My transplanted kidney has packed in after 13 years, during which time i must have been over to PP about 50 times, kept fine,! As a result i can not now just jump on a plane anytime i wish and have long breaks like the past, but the Nation Health do arrange for a fortnight in Majorca for you to dialyisis, you just give them a months notice and away you go.

I've already booked 23rd Sept flight, so looking forward to it, it also may be possible to nick over for a weekend, as long as i'm back for 1300 on the Monday! I finish dialysis on a Friday. I've noticed they have centres in Alcudia/Inca/Manacor and Palma ( Palma complete with swimming pool, for any guests).

Posting my circumstances to encourage anybody who's a bit poorly and are unsure/worried about wether they can visit PP, of course you can, as long as the doc says it's OK, go for it, it will do you the world of good.

On a personal level i'm feeling really well, and counting the days to Sept.
pollensa, LK1960, El Gordo and 4 others like this.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14

Smiddy, sorry to hear of your problem but glad that it is possible for you to still get a holiday and receive your treatment.
pollensa, El Gordo and Sparky like this.
Old 06-06-2012, 16:18

The bit I didn't mention and most imported, it's done us the world of good to get some sun and especially Mrs. T. Bottom line to anyone in doubt, said by others too, go for it. We doubted the trip at first but are very, very pleased we did it.
pollensa, El Gordo, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 06-06-2012, 17:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Thats the spirit! I wasn't going to post about my own problems, but i'll let you know anyway. My transplanted kidney has packed in after 13 years, during which time i must have been over to PP about 50 times, kept fine,! As a result i can not now just jump on a plane anytime i wish and have long breaks like the past, but the Nation Health do arrange for a fortnight in Majorca for you to dialyisis, you just give them a months notice and away you go.

I've already booked 23rd Sept flight, so looking forward to it, it also may be possible to nick over for a weekend, as long as i'm back for 1300 on the Monday! I finish dialysis on a Friday. I've noticed they have centres in Alcudia/Inca/Manacor and Palma ( Palma complete with swimming pool, for any guests).

Posting my circumstances to encourage anybody who's a bit poorly and are unsure/worried about wether they can visit PP, of course you can, as long as the doc says it's OK, go for it, it will do you the world of good.

On a personal level i'm feeling really well, and counting the days to Sept.
So pleased to hear you are feeling well Smiddy, you are both missed here but we look forward to seeing you in September if not sooner . Take care of yourself. XX
pollensa and El Gordo like this.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:39

Thanks everybody for your good wishes, never let illness get you down, there's a army of people to help and encourage you if you wish to travel. As i've already said i'm booked for Sept for PP, but there's brochures for anywhere, including cruises if i fancied it. But, nothing beats PP.
LK1960 and Ronnie like this.