Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By Rosie34
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By Smiddy
  • 1 Post By barefoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 15:21

Default Trip Report 16-30 May

Just back from our relaxing 2 weeks in La Font – and missing the peace and tranquillity of the lovely countryside, broken only by the birds, sheep tinkling (bells I mean), hens announcing the arrival of a new batch of eggs, and cockerels crowing at all hours of the day and night ……………..

It was sad to see the vacant premises which used to be La Piazza but good to see the also empty and hopefully closed for good Sports Bar, which was just so incongruous on the front line.

Everything else seemed much the same, although residents we spoke to said that the increasing all-inclusive packages now being offered by many of the local hotels are really affecting the restaurants – apparently, one day there were no lunches served at all in Miguelon - I just cant understand how anyone coming to PP could want to eat every meal in the confines of the hotel when there are so many excellent restaurants in both the port and the old town.

Speaking of restaurants:

Citrus

On our first night out we went to Citrus and it is just as good as ever with a warm welcome from Maureen and Kenny. My husband was looking forward to Kenny’s delicious slow cooked lamb but as it wasn’t on the menu that night, he had the Sea Bass which he pronounced as ‘perfect’. We both had the Citrus salad to start with and I had the Pork as the main, followed by 2 enormous Cointreaux – both for me as he doesn’t drink! So I was quite relaxed by the time we left! Kenny promised the lamb for Sunday. Cost for our meal including a large glass of wine and waters and coffe – about 47euros.

We returned on the Sunday for his lamb which he said was as good as ever. Once again we both had the Citrus salad and I had the Tempura Chicken as a main and once more the Cointreaux (2). As before the cost was about 47 euros.

We returned the following week and once again we had the Citrus salad/Chicken Tempura as starters and then OH had the lamb (again!) and I had the perfect steak. It was cooked exactly as I like it – ie just pink in the middle but not overdone, and that is exactly how it was – delicious! And served with the best chips I have ever had. Again, including all the usuals, it was bout 47 euros.

Just such good food and such good value, and such friendly service – love it!!

Trencadora

We met up with some friends for a meal in Trencadora in the old town one night.

Three of us had the Bruschetta for starters and one had the Caprese salad. Then 2 Pork Marsalas, a Penne Arrabiatta and a ‘Fantasia’. Followed by Profiteroles and 2 Tiramisu’s. Price including a bottle of delicious red win, water coffee etc was about 80 euros which was good value. The food was good, but not outstanding – the best thing about Trencadora is the lovely courtyard setting with the fountain.

Capri

I met a friend for a lunch one day and it was so lovely sitting right out near the sea watching the fish in the clear blue water, although this was the day after the thunderstorm and gale and it was still pretty breezy – and at one point blew the bread basket away – but friend managed to grab the last piece in time!! She had the Prawn Avocado salad which was enormous and I had the Tuna (too many olives and capers for my taste though!) We had a delicious bottle of white wine which at 15 euros was relatively expensive – but worth it! Price including all the usuals and coffees was about 39 euros and it was such a lovely setting – perfect for a lazy lunch.

Bella Vista

Never disappoints! It’s like another little world in there – just so laid back and relaxing – you feel as if you unwind as soon as you go in.
So, we both had the spring rolls to start with – excellent but very filling, especially after the basket of the most delicious bread ever. Followed by Noodles Stir Fry and the best Moussaka I have ever had – I just kept eating and eating, even though I was totally full half way through! My only complaint is that my glass of wine was very small - compared to other places. Anyway, the bill came to about 48 euros. I think we will forego the starters in future – just soooo filling!

On our second visit here we just had the pizze and what a pizza – roast vegetables smothered in mozzarella and totally enormous – best pizza ever – we both agreed. Price including the usual water (stingy) wine etc was 28 euros!!!

Trio

We couldn’t miss our Trio visit. Usual excellent value at 15.90euros set menu. Mussels and prawn cocktail to start, then pork in pepper sauce, and sole, followed by Strawberries in orange juice and lemon mousse. And the usual half bottle of wine and water and coffee. All for less thant 40 euros.

Posito

We haven’t been here for a few years so we thought we’d give it another go following all the good reviews. I agree that the Frito Mallorquin is the best ever – delicious! Hubby had the Stuffed Peppers which he said were good, although the filling was a bit bland. He had the John Dorey and I had the Pork in red wine. The meal was good but nothing to rave about – apart from the Frito. Bill came to just over 59 euros.

Taberna Del Temple

We’ve often walked past this restaurant and thought about going in and this time we did! And are we glad we made the decision. It was the night after the storm and it was still windy and a bit chilly but we sat outside in the little courtyard under the lemon tree in the corner and it was so sheltered. Lovely friendly waiter and service. The menu is quite limited but if it’s quality you want …….. The MDD is 15.50 . As it was quite cool, hubby had soup to start and I had the Escalavida (?) to start – both delicious. Then Pollo Madrilena for me and Salmon and Prawn for him. The glass of wine was enormous – probably because the waiter said as there wasn’t much left in the bottle thought he might as well finish it off in my glass! He was quite pleased that I could speak a little Spanish so it was good to get some practice. (The large glass of wine does give you courage!) Then Tiramisu followed by an enormous Cointreau (on the house) for me and coffee. Bill including all this and water was less than 40 euros.

On our second visit, I know I had the pork on skewers – but they were massive pieces of pork and cooked so perfectly and he had the Pollo Madrilena – and the other usuals – wine, water etc followed by more Tiramisu and Cointreau.

The young waiter said we could have some lemons off the tree.
When we went back on our last night – there was the bowl of lemons waiting on ‘our’ table! The service was a bit chaotic that night as there was a new waitress on at first who spoke perfect English but unfortunately seemed to get everything wrong on the 3 occupied tables – long story! Fortunately, our young man rode to the rescue and a good time was had by all. We just swapped the menu around a bit and had another delicious meal and came away with hugs and kisses and a bag full of massive fresh lemons!!
So all in all, another lovely relaxing holiday and great eating all round and so difficult to say which was our favourite. I think it’s between Temple and Citrus with Bella Vista also a hot contender, but as they were both excellent in different ways – let’s call it a draw for now!

I never made the Tuesday meet-up unfortunately as I met up with a friend on the first Tuesday (postponed from the cold Monday) and the next Tuesday was our last day so just wanted to make the most of the villa and the pool

I’ll post on the car hire insurance problem with Goldcar later and also a few shopping tips.
Mark, LK1960, El Gordo and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 18:18

Excellent report Rosie. Enjoyed reading it very much and you've really whetted my appetite for our trip in a few weeks time. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-06-2012, 18:45
Super Moderator

So pleased you had a good holiday Rosie, great report and thanks for posting it .
Word on the street is that the sports bar will re-open under new management .
El Gordo likes this.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11

Excellent report have made a note of these new places to visit
Old 03-06-2012, 15:54

Great report Rosie! You obviously enjoy Citrus, and i'm not surprised, you will be hard pressed to find better food anywhere in the port.
Old 03-06-2012, 18:23

Well done Rosie what a superb ,clear & concise report, a joy to peruse.
Old 03-06-2012, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Great report Rosie! You obviously enjoy Citrus, and i'm not surprised, you will be hard pressed to find better food anywhere in the port.
Is Citrus as good as O'Lume though Smiddy?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo66 View Post
Is Citrus as good as O'Lume though Smiddy?
Give it a rest!
Doogz1874 and Rosie34 like this.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
So pleased you had a good holiday Rosie, great report and thanks for posting it .
Word on the street is that the sports bar will re-open under new management .
Oh no
Old 05-06-2012, 08:53

Sorry to inform you, but its already open!
lollipop likes this.