Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By majprop
  • 1 Post By Tonsyl
  • 1 Post By majprop
  • 1 Post By Lorenzo
  • 1 Post By Tonsyl
  • 1 Post By Claire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 18:45

Default Dog on ferry crossing and decent vet.

Any advice about travelling with our dog, getting a suitable dog friendly car ferry. We will aslo need the name of a good vet near the port if possible though the old town would aslo be okay.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-05-2012, 09:47

On all ferries operating between Barcelona and Palma there are dog kennels available, some are on the deck area and others are in the huge car areas. There is an excellent vet in the Port of Pollensa, their practice is situated next to the Post office behind the church, I also know that one of the vets speaks excellent English and is very caring towards animals.
Sparky and Jubits like this.
Old 27-05-2012, 16:23

We brought our dog over last year with no problems. I can confirm that The vet in the port is excellent. If you want more details about our experiences, PM me and I'll reply when are back in the UK on Thursday.
Jubits likes this.
Old 27-05-2012, 19:18

Thanks for reply. Vet details would be much appreciated from both replies.

Do we have to put the dog in a kennel on the ferry. Can we book a cabin with dog included?

We may be out of contact for next week but will pick up replies when we are back. There is sufficient time to plan given we arre not travelling until April next year with Kali.

Delighted to say most decent rentals on the Pinewalk were happy to take our little fella for our month long stay.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:57

I think you will find that dogs are not permitted into any public area such as cabins, bars and decks, other than those areas dedicated for dogs
You can go to the kennels and see your dog, give it a short walk and one person even sat with her dog outside the kennels for the whole night crossing.
From memory, the vets are "moixa" or similar but they are listed on the web.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:56

TonsyI is correct about pets not being allowed into the public areas but if you are on a ferry with kennels in the parking area then the public are not allowed into the vehicle areas during the crossing, this is international Maritime law. Having said this friends of mine took there small dog with them on a visit to the UK and were allowed to take the dog into their cabin in a pet transporter as the dog is very small, but I would not relyon this happening all the time.
Jubits likes this.
Old 29-05-2012, 11:05

Default Taking a dog to Mallorca & back

It really is not permitted to have a dog (of any other animal you are travelling with) in your cabin on the routes out of the UK.
It is required by law that they remain in the vehicle that they boarded in.

Do be aware that ship's car decks can often be pretty hot places as they are not air conditioned and therefore a shorter crossing (or Eurotunnel) across the English Channel might be a kinder option for your dog if you are travelling when the weather is hot.
eleanor likes this.
Old 29-05-2012, 12:41

I totally agree that the Eurotunnel is the way to go. We took our dog which is an Alsatian and she was a very happy thing sitting quietly in the back of the car whilst we went under the channel. Also, whatever you do don't leave your dog in the car on the Barcelona to Mallorca crossing. As was said above the car deck gets red hot and even if the heat does not get it, the diesel fumes will.............filthy place!
eleanor likes this.
Old 29-05-2012, 21:17

When we brought a Mallorcan cat back to the UK three or four years ago, we used Clinica Veterinaria Moixica in Calle Roger de Flor. I've dug out her pet passport and the vet was Juan Jose Fernandez Albas - he spoke excellent English (trained in the UK, I seem to remember), was very good with our nervous cat (she'd never been to the vet before) and was very tolerant of this Englishwoman adopting a stray cat. I can thoroughly recommend him.
Jubits likes this.
Old 29-05-2012, 21:40

Thanks to all for your advice. We will be using the tunnel for the UK France leg but have to use the ferry for Barcelona - Mojorca though do not like the idea of leaving him in a kennel.

Will post advice when we know more.

We had anticpated issues getting accomodation with our little fella in residence but most have written back saying he is very welcome.
Old 29-05-2012, 21:44

Smile

Thanks Claire. We will make a note of this vet. One less problem to think about.