Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34

Default Can anyone recommend a good bank?

We bank with Bancaja and have been very satisfied with the service but since the change to Bankia we are noticing changes that are unacceptable, one such change is that they are now charging to DEPOSIT money! I paid a UK cheque in last week for £1000 and I was charged a fee of 10€ . I asked about depositing cash and they told me it was more expensive to deposit cash (3%) . They also do not give you the interbank rate, it is a rate set by Bankia, which last week was 1.20 (interbank rate was 1.23).

So friends, I am looking for recommendations for a good bank, with reasonable charges and definitely one that does not charge for depositing money into it!

Just had a thought, she may have thought that I meant a cash deposit of pounds and I actually meant euro's. Anybody been charged for depositing cash in euro's?

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 07-05-2012 at 08:50.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
We bank with Bancaja and have been very satisfied with the service but since the change to Bankia we are noticing changes that are unacceptable, one such change is that they are now charging to DEPOSIT money! I paid a UK cheque in last week for £1000 and I was charged a fee of 10€ . I asked about depositing cash and they told me it was more expensive to deposit cash (3%) . They also do not give you the interbank rate, it is a rate set by Bankia, which last week was 1.20 (interbank rate was 1.23).

So friends, I am looking for recommendations for a good bank, with reasonable charges and definitely one that does not charge for depositing money into it!

Just had a thought, she may have thought that I meant a cash deposit of pounds and I actually meant euro's. Anybody been charged for depositing cash in euro's?
My bank is la Caixa.Last month I deposited a cheque for £300 and was charged 12 Euros for doing this.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23

Default Good bank in Puerto Pollensa

Have a chat with Barclays in the port. I opened an account with them when the Banco Halifax branch closed

There is definitely no charge to deposit cash at Barclays - and they even give a small credit for all direct debit payments.

Staff are very pleasant too
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56

Banca March definitely don't charge for depositing euros. They do however charge 60c per direct debit.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58

Default Barclays Bank

I have to agree with Lorenzo....Barclays on C/Juan XX111 by the 1919 roundabout are fantastic.

I have a residents account, but if you pop in and speak to Francesca (or telephone her) she is so helpful and explains everything very well. I went in with a list of questions about charges, changing DD´s over and transfers and she patiently went through them all one by one for me. I have had warnings about their charges so do get clarity depending on what services you would be using, but as Lorenzo says the current account they are offering at the moment gives you 1% cashback on all utility DD paid from your account if you pay in at least a total of €900 each month.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:39

I to am with Bancaja (now Bancia) and have been disappointed with the raft of changes they have introduced since the `takeover´. Problem is, as far as I can tell, they are still just about the cheapest. I was with Bancmarch before and their charges were around double the present Bancia charges. Bancia definitely do not charge for depositing cash (euros). There is a small (I think 1euro) charge for depositing a cheque and a monthly account fee of about 2 euros. Try to avoid having the cash card as there is a yearly fee of 18 euros. My only experience of Barclays was when my Father wanted to transfer 1000 pounds from his Barclays account in England to the Barclays here. The exchange rate offered ( euros received after all charges) was worse than the Hotel next door!
Old 07-05-2012, 22:03

I too am unhappy with all the charges from Bancaja since they became Bankia and intend going in to see the Bank Manageress tomorrow or Wednesday as I find it acceptable that I opened the account with certain conditions which they have changed without any consulations.
Old 07-05-2012, 23:17

Maybe you could try Santander - I assume it is still there?

I am not that thrilled with them in the UK but customers can use Santander ATMs in Spain free of any fees.

My son lived in mainland Spain for a couple of years and used CAM (I think there is a branch in the port) and it seemed the norm to have all these charges. We take it for granted it will be free in the UK - perhaps we should be more appreciative and stop complaining about our banks so much - !
Old 08-05-2012, 00:20

We have been with Solbank Sabadell for years. I can't fault their servicd, either for transfer of cas and hish or other services. Steffen Shoner the Director, and his team all speak perfect English and we have found them incredibly helpful over the years.
I do hope this is of some use.

PeRu
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22

Hate to worry anyone, but......

Bankia’s failure to face reality brings back crisis - FT.com
usandthewoof likes this.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Try to avoid having the cash card as there is a yearly fee of 18 euros.
I asked about not having a card but because I use online banking, I was told I need the card to be able to logon!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10

Graham I couldn´t actually get access to the piece - could you give me a brief summary please ? Thank you
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57

I have an account with Barclays (near 1919 cafe) and agree with other comments - great staff, no scary charges. On-line banking facility seems to work OK.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:20

I tried to transfer money to my account at Bankia in the Port which did not work as their IBAN and Swift Codes.
So I e-mailed Fabio which did not work as they have also changed their e-mail addresses. I then tried to phone them and that did not work.
So can those who know the IBAN and Swift codes and the E-mail addresses of the people at the branch help?
Old 08-05-2012, 17:37

To Whaleywanderer - thats one thing that really upset me. One month before they changed to Bancia I was stopped 54 euros for three cards which like you I was told I had to have to access the accounts online. Then they changed the log-on proceedure so now you log in using your NIE number and not the card number. You only need the card to get cash out of the holeinthewall (for which there is a substantial charge if it is not a Bancia machine) or to use as a debit card (for which there may also be a charge ).