Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27
Banned

Default Tough times.

It's all very well Spain being being "laid-back" and in some respects this is quite refreshing while holidaying there and escaping from the UK rat-race and all it brings with it, but, Spain's economy is collapsing and with 28% unemployment the country needs to get a grip and join the 21st century.

Tourism is one of Spain's main sources of revenue and for far too long it's rested on this without doing too much hard work.

Time to "buck-up" it's image methinks !!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 11:45

I remember speaking to a Spanish lady working in a hotel in PP some 10 / 15 years ago. As NPN says, tourism still is, and has been for a long time, a very important part of the economy. The lady said then that she / her fellow workers worked 6 months for one year. Meaning they tried to earn one years wages in 6 months working in a hotel in PP / Mallorca, then going back home to mainland Spain - out of work - for the winter. Prior to mass tourism Spain's was very much a rural economy, then industry took hold and lots of people moved from the countryside to the cities. In the meantime the rural economy has become more mechanised and in recession the old jobs just aren't around anymore.
A Spanish girl I know here in the UK, who left university in northern Spain some 10 or more years ago, said even in those days as many as 2000 people would apply for one quite basic position to get in the Spanish equivalent of the Civil Service and that many of her ex-student friends failed to get a job even with a degree! Bad times have been going on for a while in Spain. We - as tourists - don't know the half of it, I'm sure.
If you look at PP or even Pollensa town and CSV, what is there to do, other than work related to tourism? Sparky, any knowledge on what the locals do... particularly in winter; do they travel to Palma for work, there can't be that much to do in northern Mallorca?

Last edited by pescador2009; 01-05-2012 at 11:50.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14
Super Moderator

A lot of them always used to move to construction work in the winter but of course even that industry has almost stopped. Some go to the Canaries to work as they have year round tourism, those who come from the mainland go back. Those who remain here have to eke out their money earned in summer and any dole money they receive, it's tough for the working people here and it's going to get tougher i am afraid .
Old 01-05-2012, 15:16

I think one of the main problems in this area is that they have had it so good for so long they do not know how to cope with a recession. For many years the tourist industry has provided a good living - the money just rolled in from affluent visitors who put there hands in their pockets and paid whatever price was asked without thinking about it. That has changed. Now there are alot less tourists and those that do come are more likely to seek out value for money. Unfortunately alot of the bars, restaurants, hotels etc around here do not understand the basic economics of supply and demand and still think that the way to deal with less customers and reduced turnover is to put the prices up hence the increasing number of failed businesses as the customers go elsewhere. Thankfully a few places (Menestralia for example) have realised that you can run a successfull business with large turnover and low per capita profit margins. Hopefully a few more will catch on before its to late.
eleanor and tibbles like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 16:42
Super Moderator

Sorry but i disagree. I can't speak for places that i don't frequent but those i do (and there are many) most have not increased prices at all for at least the last 3 years, the ones that have is by a mere 1€ for MDD, all drinks prices have remained the same and before anyone says it....NO i don't get cheaper rates for being a resident.
JMD40, ohjay and lollipop like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 18:19

I agree Sparky ..we have found that you can eat as for the same price (in some cases less with the introduction of MDD) as we were a few years ago. What really gets me though is the attitude and poor service in some places (both hotels and restuarants ).A smile costs nothing and in the case of poor service they will find that people will quickly go elswhere
JMD40, lollipop and eleanor like this.

Eating Out

Last edited by CathB; 01-05-2012 at 18:22.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:03

I would agree with Deanscroft ,but there are several exceptions for example El Mollies in Pollensa, Bodega Del sol in Alcudia, Positos in the Port.
One of the things that has confused us is the amount of Property on the market that is overpriced, yet the owners absolutely refuse to drop their prices?
Also why do the supermarkets in the Touristy areas charge up to one third more? even the massive stores.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:23

nOOOOOOOOO I have just taken 30mins to compile a reply and I was logged out and message has disappeared. I dont believe it.... shall have to go and have a glass of wine to rethink all this BUT basically,
IVA (VAT) went up from 16 to 18% last year, Rubbish collection increased by an embarrasing amount by Pollensa town hall, Electricity has increased by approx. 10% every year for last few years, costs increased with the excuse of increased oil and transport to an Island..... plus the owners of properties would have increased their rentals to the leasees. All of this is enough for the restaurants and bars to increase their prices substantially but I think you will find that 90% have failed to do this as they DO understand that the market will not allow for it however this means they have to cut their costs elsewhere and the only option would be staff or lower quality products or fail hence the number of bars and restaurants which have closed up in last 12months,including some very popular ones.
If a worker works a contract for 181 days, they will be entitled to 4 months unemployment allowance which is about 400/500€ a month. When that has expired there is nothing. Bar and restaurant owners would be self employed so they have no entitlment to any assistance during the winter months.
Times are very very tough in Mallorca as in all of Spain and I do not think anyone (UK or Spain) are able to handle the recession. I do agree that some locals have sat back for many years and taken all the money the tourist is willing to throw at them but that has not been the case now for the last 3-5 years. In a recession, the people who do not provide good service are often the first to fail and a forum like this does tend to keep people on their toes. Going to press the button now before I get logged out again.
its cd, sws97sdg, Sparky and 2 others like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:27

Cumberland8 - there are some amazing bargains to be had where owners have reduced their prices by 25 - 50% in a desperate attempt to wash their hands of a property before they loose it. Most owners who are selling are very realistic about the market price.
Old 01-05-2012, 23:10

JMD - losing a 'post' (particularly a longer one) has happened to a lot of us over the years. Best to type it seperately first - then copy and paste it in to the reply message box. You have then still got the original if things go astray! (This tip will have been posted previously by others).
JMD40, Rosie34 and emmalou like this.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:56

Clear & concise report JMD which helps deal with some issues, Thank You for that, but my last 2 ramblings remain a mystery?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:08

There is no doubt whatsoever the euro has been the main cause of the problem. The year following it's introduction prices went through the roof. The whole thing is a total sham and doomed to fail. If someone can explain to me how you can have 20+ economys singing from the same financial hymm sheet then please feel free. You have a country like greece borrowing money to pay back money it previously borrowed that it can't afford to pay back. That my friends is the economics of the mad house and can not continue.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25

Prices rise in tourist areas wherever you are unless you shop in the larger chains,e.g Asda or Mercadona,Lidle,eroski. I always feel I get ripped off in London.
sws97sdg and Sparky like this.

Last edited by lollipop; 02-05-2012 at 09:28. Reason: spelling!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50

Yes, lollipop, unfortunately prices have risen everywhere, bread, milk, meat, everything. If the price of fuel rises, this cost is inevitably passed on. General food shop at home has risen unbelievably over the past 18 months so we should expect to pay a bit more wherever we go.
sws97sdg, Sparky and JMD40 like this.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:00

I certainly haven't noticed any particular increase in prices in recent years (I certainly have at my local Tesco). Theres's loads of info on this board about getting the best value for your budget, i would urge anyone to read them or post before they're going over. It's also sensible to compare what the various meals would have cost you back home, and by that i don't mean the local "Charlie Chuckles". The Luna de Meil at the roundabout sell a 3 course with wine for 6 quid. Try and beat that at home. Go to O'Lume, Los Faroles etc and compare what it would have cost for similar food/service you in the uk.

Everybody has to tighten their belt these days, but there are many ways to have a reasonably priced holiday in PP, with a little pre planning.
sws97sdg, Sparky, JMD40 and 4 others like this.