Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   2 Pine Walk villas being demolished (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/8576-2-pine-walk-villas-being-demolished.html)

Lorenzo 25-03-2012 02:01

2 Pine Walk villas being demolished

Although the villas had obviously not been lived in or used for quite some time, I was very sad to see the one next to Little Italy bit the dust yesterday - and the one next to it is about to end up the same way Hope that they are careful though as it's half of a larger building!

I just wish that they would build something with style and character to replace it .... but somehow I doubt that will happen.

usandthewoof 25-03-2012 09:13

What a shame :(

Sparky 25-03-2012 09:29

Yes i agree, they have already demolished Los Pescadors and now another two go. Probably they will be replaced by concrete and glass boxes that are souless and just look so out of place beside the other buildings in the area :mad:.

Nick 25-03-2012 09:41

Gotta agree, the Pine Walk could soon lose its special image at this rate.

It was awful when Los Pescadores restaurant went but this may just be the start of things. Modernist buildings look great but in the right place.

I'm surprised there aren't strict planning laws governing the Pine Walk ?

its cd 25-03-2012 10:06

Demolishing at this time also means a gap probably still with some rubble will be around all season as they can't get much done. Score building stops for the summer

andrew711 25-03-2012 10:16

Agree completely that if there are to be new buildings that their design should be sympathetic with what is there. Unless a BIC order (basically one that declares a site, building or buildings as being of cultural interest) is made, there isn't a lot to stop whatever then does get built. As far as I am aware there isn't such an order, but maybe there should be, though they tend to apply only to old towns (not that this always stops building that isn't in character).

Sparky 25-03-2012 10:17

Nick, i think the only law is that there can be no change of use. :mad:

CD, you are probably right, building work has to stop on May 1st......unless the council grant an extention like they did a couple of years ago :rolleyes:.

Baron de Lay 25-03-2012 14:58

That's sad news. I've always joked with the Baroness, that when we win the lottery we'll buy that old villa and restore it for ourselves.

There are also plans afoot to demolish the lovely old villa on the corner, further along towards the military base, where the pinewalk doglegs out and around towards the Illa d'Or.

Hate to say it, but every one of those beautiful old villas they demolish and replace with faceless apartment blocks eats away just a little bit of what I and many others love about the port and keeps us going back.

tibbles 25-03-2012 15:44

s
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron de Lay (Post 69535)
That's sad news. I've always joked with the Baroness, that when we win the lottery we'll buy that old villa and restore it for ourselves.

There are also plans afoot to demolish the lovely old villa on the corner, further along towards the military base, where the pinewalk doglegs out and around towards the Illa d'Or.

Hate to say it, but every one of those beautiful old villas they demolish and replace with faceless apartment blocks eats away just a little bit of what I and many others love about the port and keeps us going back.

:):)

I am sad to say I agree it does reduce that timeless something we so love about Pine Walk our very favourite part of the Port. We spend most of our time along the walk :) The lovely villa on the dogleg - I hope not. ..... Tibbles

lovemallorca 25-03-2012 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron de Lay (Post 69535)

Beautifully put Baron - So very, very true.

snowy2007 25-03-2012 18:21

Very Sad Day for PP

Baron de Lay 25-03-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibbles (Post 69537)
s:):)

I am sad to say I agree it does reduce that timeless something we so love about Pine Walk our very favourite part of the Port. We spend most of our time along the walk :) The lovely villa on the dogleg - I hope not. ..... Tibbles

I'm afraid it looks that way Tibbles. Have a look on the Marfran website. The couple who run Marfran own the villa - Possibly the most important (and valuable) bit of real estate in the port.

tibbles 25-03-2012 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron de Lay (Post 69541)
I'm afraid it looks that way Tibbles. Have a look on the Marfran website. The couple who run Marfran own the villa - Possibly the most important (and valuable) bit of real estate in the port.

Baron de Lay :) Have been on the Marfran website - my goodness, once I started it led me all over the world :D but still want to return to PP and particularly Pine Walk - we just love the walk and daydream about all the large villas some more dilapidated and run down (much like me at the moment) but with a unique charm that is Pine Walk :) The Marfran villa is just such a villa - such a shame if it goes :(
:) Off to Venice in sept hopefully? Tibbles

pescador2009 26-03-2012 00:11

I love the Pine Walk and have done for many years, but the World and P.P. moves on!
Lets hope for some charachterful good design with any rebuilds on the vacated sites.
You must remember, those old buildings were new and possibly 'modern' at the time they were built. Modern architecture by good designers can be good, keep your fingers crossed.

clinkham 26-03-2012 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron de Lay (Post 69541)

Is this the (rear of) the villa, portpollensa - Google Maps , round the corner from Hotel Villa Singala. It's a large piece of real estate.:eek: ££££££££££!!