Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 11:39
Banned

"There are also plans afoot to demolish the lovely old villa on the corner, further along towards the military base, where the pinewalk doglegs out and around towards the Illa d'Or"

Now that would be criminal....................that is the finest set villa in the biggest plot.
What the heck are the town council up to allowing this.......it's all down to greed............pack more properties in...............big, big shame............

Pescador - your argument holds no water. So what if the world moves on, does demolition of beauty make it a better world then ???
It's all down to greed.
If it ruins the character of the port and people stop returning and go elsewhere then who the heck does that benefit ???

Last edited by Nick; 26-03-2012 at 11:47.
Sponsored Links
Old 26-03-2012, 12:20

A good architect will ensure the design is in keeping. Just because something is going to built new does not mean that it will not have character or will not be sympathetic to its surroundings. Any form of change is a threat as we don't know what to expect and therefore becomes a challenge. My husband is an architect and has designed all over the World. He puts much thought and effort into his designs and appreciates what is liked by some is hated by others. Not all new designs are glass boxes or ultra modern. Perhaps before being negative we should wait to see what is planned and who knows - it may be liked and add much to the area. Lets hope so!

Last edited by eleanor; 26-03-2012 at 12:27.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:38
Banned

I'm afraid you've totally missed the point................it's an old characterful building with history, once gone that cannot be replicated.

If you knock down lovely old buildings then whatever the new-built replication is the history is lost............end of.

This demolition will be one of greed as there are planty of other sites that can be built on for rebuilding to make money.

I'm a firm believer in keeping history alive as once it's gone it's gone.
Sympathetic architect or not...................and it doesn't matter where in the world they've worked.
cumberland8 likes this.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:43

Looked at the webpage where does it say they are knocking it down? Couple of pics from January, is this the one?

On island time!!
Old 26-03-2012, 12:46

Anything less than an exact replica would be a sham.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
Anything less than an exact replica would be a sham.
Wouldn't a replica be a sham?
Old 26-03-2012, 12:56

Your post is coming over a little aggresive but I assume that is because you feel passion for something.
I don't think I have missed the point at all! What is history if a place looks a mess? I also think people have the right to opinion and I believe that sometimes it is right to move on. The history doesn't mean anything if a place is falling apart. Personally I would much rather see an area that looks well cared for and tidy whatever the age of the property. A run down place will do little to encourage people to return. I'm talking in general terms here and not directing my comments to the property in Pine Walk. I have no comment to make regarding the design of the replacement building as I have no idea what is planned and will hold off until more is known. You state that in your opinion this is about greed and you may well be right. If the re-construction is for greed then it still does not mean that it will bring with it poor design. I'm sure a good sympathetic architect with alround experience will do their best to ensure that good design is adopted but of course the final say on the design would be that of the client. It would be interesting to know who the architects are.
Belladonna and fil6699 like this.
Old 26-03-2012, 13:15
Banned

Passionate, not aggressive !!!!!

Everyone has an opinion of course but I disagree the site is a mess ?? It's full of lovely pine trees with a beautiful old wall around it. I've never seen any rubbish etc in the lovely minimal grounds. The building is on one level and is made of lovely old stone. A "proper" house ; - )

sws97sdg - no, not that one. Further around right on the corner where it indeed does dog-leg. Halfway along the Pine Walk. It's in a big plot, you can't miss it.

Anyone want to come and squat in it so they can't knock it down. We could have a great summer in there !!!!
cherylbb likes this.
Old 26-03-2012, 14:25

I wonder if it is possible to reuse old stone in rebuilding? Eleanor, would your husband know this? I know old bricks are reused as are old tiles, so I cant see the problem - but what would I know! If the building is in a dangerous condition through neglect or just plain old age, then it would need to be refurbished anyway before anyone can live in it. Maybe its too far gone for that.
eleanor likes this.
Old 26-03-2012, 15:32

Old stone, bricks and tiles are often used in refurbishment projects Bella but as you say they have to be fit for purpose. It is often cheaper to use new then to attempt to re-cycle. Also of course if more are needed then resourcing from elsewhere to match can be a problem too as well as time consuming. This would all add to the cost of the project.

Hubby isn't here for me to ask at present Bella but from past conversations he has said that the client has the final decision. If the client decided to demolish and rebuild then that is that as long as the relevent permissions are in place. The architect will work within spec alongside the client. It may well be that a property has already in place documentation and permissions prior to bringing an architect on board.
We don't know what decisions have been made for this property and it may well be that it is cheaper to rebuild then to refurbish. I believe someone said that the property belonged to Mawfren (?) sorry can't remember correct name for spelling. I believe these people are agents themselves and if I am correct would probably already have papers in order.
Old 26-03-2012, 20:47

Anyone want to come and squat in it so they can't knock it down. We could have a great summer in there !!!!

i'm up for it!!!!!
Old 26-03-2012, 22:31

I ought to team up with 'Eleanor's husband' as I have worked in Architecture for all my working life; hence my original post and interest in all things P.P.
Old is not always good for starters! Old is even worse when it is not looked after. Buildings do have a lifespan (like people) and if not looked after correctly do deteriorate.
It seems like NPN is like a lot of folks when it comes to 'old' - it must be good, it must be saved. Well, that is not always the case!
The Building he mentions on the Pine Walk is/has been a fine building - particularly so 'in it's hey-day'. It stands on a very generous site with lots of very mature trees, I believe some of these many trees may have done damage to said building's structure over the years. Yes it is a big site and it would be fairly tragic to see any change for changes sake. It really wants someone with about half a million Euro's or so to invest to bring it back to its best. I'm sure it could be done. Some trees would have to go.
So, some demolition of poor quality buildings - be they old or not - can only do good if the replacement is better. It's very subjective, this is not always the case as there is a lot of bad design (and always has been) but there is good design. We are in the 21st century and our designers need to reflect this for the future.
Regarding Eleanor's comment about the Client having the last word, I would have thought the Local Planning Authority would have the greater say in what they would actually allow. The only trouble with Planners is that they are not specifically trained in design like architects are.
clinkham, eleanor and tibbles like this.
Old 26-03-2012, 23:46

I must admit I have mixed feelings about this situation having been a regular PP visitor ‘on an off” since the early seventies and seen this villa and many others in glorious Technicolor it is so sad to see them disappear and be replaced by mediocre concrete flats/café/burger houses/whatever. I agree with pescador that surly the planning authority should have the greater say in what is built /restored, but if it is like our local planning authority they probably can’t see past TESCO McDonalds etc., etc. Having spent most of my working life restoring listed and ancient buildings I know about expense and care needed in the upkeep, but how would the demolition of the Shambles and other older streets affect visitor numbers to York? I realise PP needs to keep up with the times and I for one enjoy swimming pools and new villas with Wi-Fi etc. but do we have to destroy the heart of PP and the pine walk to provide this. I for one don’t think so!!

They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
Old 27-03-2012, 11:27
Banned

"It really wants someone with about half a million Euro's or so to invest to bring it back to its best. I'm sure it could be done. Some trees would have to go."

Now that I have no problem with. Obviously investment to keep it standing and improve it is one thing but demolition of the lovely old building, ripping down the trees and erecting say a block of 20 boring apartments is another thing.

I just think it would be nice, and beneficial to the port, to keep the older buildings wherever possible so that the kind of people who return year after year keep doing so.

Would anyone really want PP to turn into a Magalluf or Benidorm for goodness sake?!
If it did, I would sell up and buy elsewhere..............and so would many others.

Oh, and do all architects know best then ?! They are employed and will virtually do as their client suggests..............'cos they're paying them !!
Old 27-03-2012, 12:08

For what it's worth, can anyone give an example of something that was demolished on the pine walk and replaced with a better building. All i've ever seen is apartments go up. talking of sympathetic architects i can only assume the guy that built the pollensa park hotel was on drugs.
Nick likes this.