Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:09

Default Motoring to Puerto Pollensa

We will be motoring to Puerto Pollensa this year. We start our journey on the 3rd April, boarding the Portsmouth to Santander ferry 'Pont Avon', we will dimembark the next day at 18.00hrs. We will probably take the Via Michelin route from Santander to Barcelona (approx 440 miles), where we will take the Balearia ferry to Alcudia.

We are looking for any recommendations for reasonably priced accommodation en route to Barcelona, roughly 100 miles out of Santander.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05
Super Moderator

Excellent Whaley you must be getting very excited .
If you are thinking of stopping over around Logrono here is a link for hotels in the area http://www.booking.com/city/es/logrono.en.html?inac=0 .
Hope it helps.

Last edited by Sparky; 08-03-2012 at 12:08.
Old 08-03-2012, 18:19

Good Luck Whaley. Will be thinking of you.
Sparky likes this.
Old 08-03-2012, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleywanderer View Post
We will be motoring to Puerto Pollensa this year. We start our journey on the 3rd April, boarding the Portsmouth to Santander ferry 'Pont Avon', we will dimembark the next day at 18.00hrs. We will probably take the Via Michelin route from Santander to Barcelona (approx 440 miles), where we will take the Balearia ferry to Alcudia.

We are looking for any recommendations for reasonably priced accommodation en route to Barcelona, roughly 100 miles out of Santander.
We'll be interested in any replies to this enquiry - we have been considering the drive ourselves - not just because I am the world's worst flyer but thought we could make it part of a good holiday ... we plan to arrive in Santander. Tibbles
Old 08-03-2012, 19:57

Whilst the cost of hotels bookable through Brittany Ferries won't be the cheapest, they are good value. Might be worth ringing BF with your query and see what may be available.
Pont Aven is a super ship - food excellent and well priced. Internet access a bit pricey if you need your PP forum fix. Book prior to sailing if you want to eat in the posh restraunt. It is very good.
As you will have gathered, one of my hobbies is spending other people's money!

Have a great trip.
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 08-03-2012, 20:14
Super Moderator

Clinkham i agree 100% about the Pont Aven, we use it several times and it is great.
lollipop likes this.
Old 13-03-2012, 23:13

Whaley - how about this? Bilbao 103km from Santander, on the route suggested by Google to Barcelona. Google 'Etap hotel' and go through the search function to find the Bilbao hotel. Rooms currently available £28/£33pn.

Where ever you end up laying your head, have a good trip
tibbles likes this.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:01

Thanks Sparky and Clinkham - Logrono does seem to be a nice distance from Santander but would sooner stay in hotel/motel like our Travellodges here in the uk, clean, basic and cheap, where we can park the car at the hotel.

I think the Etap hotels are something similar to our Travellodge but think Bilbao is not far enough into the journey as that would leave us a fair amount of km to cover the next day. I am, however, going to look for Etap locations a bit further into the journey (perhaps near Logrono).

If anybody can up with anymore names of groups of budget, stopover hotels in Spain I would be grateful.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:31
Super Moderator

Have a look at "Trivago" hotels search, there are a few in Logrono, they give maps and the cheapest price comparisons.
Old 28-03-2012, 11:43
Super Moderator

Hi Whaley, how did you get on with your hotel search?. Only 6 more sleeps until your adventure starts .
Old 28-03-2012, 18:11

The Pont Avon is a great way to travel. I did the journey last year from Portsmouth on my own. Arrived in Santander at about 10.00 am and then drove down to Barcelona, which took about 7 hours. A quiet drive but beautiful countryside in the middle of Spain (almost semi-arid). I then took the overnight ferry to Palma, which left at about 10.00 pm. Arrived in Mallorca at 7 am and had breakfast in PP. I then had to drive back in September, the long route via France which was a mission. It is definitely worth getting the long ferry, and the cost is on par when you have to pay the tolls/fuel.
clinkham and tibbles like this.
Old 30-03-2012, 10:02

Sparky - Panic is definitely setting in now, wondering, have I done everything, have I got all documentation etc? Not booked a hotel yet but I will probably take Clinkham's advice and stay just through Bilbao as we don't want to be driving after dark on unfamiliar roads. Hopefully will book the hotel today.

Just booked the Miramar with a sea view for our first night in PP as my son is in the apartment until Saturday, thought we would treat ourselves and didn't really want to see the apartment after three young men have been in!

We plan to set off early on Tuesday morning to catch the 17.00 sailing on Pont Avon from Portsmouth (subject to us being able to obtain diesel, which is proving a bit of a problem at the moment!).

The Wob - Yes, looking forward to the sail, we would much prefer the shorter drive from Santander and good to hear it is a fairly quiet road, just got to get out of Santander and through Barcelona and we'll be fine. Been advised to follow the car in front when disembarking the ferry, just hope they are going where we want to go.

Just going to book the Barcelona to Alcudia ferry now with Balearia, leaves at 23.59 and arrives Alcudia at 09.00, should be having coffee at the Miramar by about 10.00

Well these are our plans and lets hope the old saying "The best laid plans.........." turns out to be wrong. I'll try to keep you all posted about our journey.

Hasta pronto mis amigos
sws97sdg, Sparky, cherylbb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by whaleywanderer; 30-03-2012 at 10:09.
Old 30-03-2012, 10:14

Best of luck Whaley and a safe trip over, everything will be fine

On island time!!
Old 30-03-2012, 10:22

Good luck Whaley and family - it sounds fantastic - will read your experience with interest as we are still thinking about the same trip! Buen viaje! Tibbles
Old 30-03-2012, 10:25

Hello Clinkham & co not long now and counting! Tibbles & co
clinkham likes this.